Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 05:54 PM

41 posts, read 62,568 times

Advertisements

Might be moving to albuquerque in a year. Looking at homes and trying to find decent areas to live. I get that the city is broken down into quadrants. Besides that I'm at a loss. Looking for low crime areas that have decent public schools and outdoor spaces for my kid who will be four.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 09:59 PM

13 posts, read 25,647 times
I always say live close to where you work, but I imagine your not sure yet.

Are you looking for more of a suburban feel or an urban feel?

Would you prefer being near the river or the mountains or out on the mesa?

Is public transportation important to you or would you prefer to own horses and chickens.

Albuquerque is a very diverse city and I really couldn't recommend one quadrent over another without knowing a little more. Crime can vary block by block it just depends how proactive your neighbors are.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:01 PM

Thanks, an urban area often translates to bad schools, while suburbs are so cookie cutter. Would like to find an area that has centrally located shoping, cafes or restaurants, yet has good schools. I'm thinking of the unm area

Old 07-08-2011, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodv66 View Post
Thanks, an urban area often translates to bad schools, while suburbs are so cookie cutter. Would like to find an area that has centrally located shoping, cafes or restaurants, yet has good schools. I'm thinking of the unm area
Another option for the urban feel might be the Uptown area (near Lousiana/Indian School) or near Paseo and Wyoming. Both are areas that are growing an urban-styled feel. If you are looking for which school district is better, then you might want to look around the Paseo/Wyoming area. Crime tends to be less in that area as well; however, housing prices are a bit more than other areas of town.

Just my 2 cents

Old 07-08-2011, 08:03 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,307,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodv66 View Post
The Nobhill/UNM area is basically broken down into 2 types of homes:

1. Expensive/Over priced

2. Need a lot of work to make them liveable.

Granted, there are a few exceptions, but this was my observation this time last summer when I was looking to move out of the ABQ High Lofts to that area. I eventually expanded my search area (although I really didn't want to) and found a beautiful 6 year old home that was perfect for me in the Four Hills area.

I am 3 min from I-40 which can put me just about anywhere in the city in 20 min or less.

Good Luck in your search!

Old 07-09-2011, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the info, seems unm is not great for family living. In nj most college towns are great places to live. I'm just looking at different parts online to try and get an idea

Old 07-09-2011, 12:16 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
The reason Nob Hill is so expensive is location, location, location.

The houses are fine and attractive, if older and smaller compared to newer corporate developments, but if your main concern is the $/sq. ft., then you don't want Nob Hill, you want the West Side.

A good, happy medium can be found in the NE heights developments such as Hoffmantown and Mossman. The houses in these neighborhoods are mostly from the 60s and are a decent value while being closer to a lot of useful (jobs and services) and entertaining parts of the city.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:49 PM

75 posts, read 199,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopashogun View Post
Another option for the urban feel might be the Uptown area (near Lousiana/Indian School) or near Paseo and Wyoming. Both are areas that are growing an urban-styled feel. If you are looking for which school district is better, then you might want to look around the Paseo/Wyoming area. Crime tends to be less in that area as well; however, housing prices are a bit more than other areas of town.

Just my 2 cents
I also vote Paseo and Wyoming area. Little bit more expensive, though.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:13 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,852 times
I would echo the suggestions given for the Uptown and Hoffmantown areas. Since schools are a top priority you'd want to stick to the Sandia High School attendance area. Basically, it stretches east from Louisiana Blvd. to Eubank and north from I-40 to about Academy Road. Most of that area includes some of Albuquerque's oldest suburban-type neighborhoods such as Hoffmantown that go back nearly sixty years. Over that time they've developed character, and they benefit from being platted along Northeast Albuquerque's grid which means everyday shopping and services are never more than a few blocks away on a major street. These neighborhoods are increasingly attracting younger families as the original inhabitants pass on. And being in the middle of the Heights means they are convenient to most everything Albuquerque offers.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:07 AM

Thanks, if we move we will rent for a year first. Where we buy will depend on where we both get jobs. I'm a spanish speaking social studies teacher and I'm6' 4, so I think they will put me in an urban, minority school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque