Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 03:41 PM

292 posts, read 725,176 times

Advertisements

New Mexicans are very friendly--at least initially--compared to people back east in general. I would say my main gripe with them is they tend to be homebodies and aren't particularly dynamic, which can make it harder to meet new people at times if you don't already have connections.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:30 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,732,474 times
I've been living here full-time since September and I've been busy and just now starting to get out into the community. People are always friendly but seem to be private and it's hard to get a conversation going beyond an initial exchange. Sometimes people need common experiences, like a sports team or extreme weather or something else of common interest, to keep a conversation going. The cultural diversity is a positive thing and one reason why I moved here but I wonder if it limits the common connections. But...I've only been here a short time so what do I know??

Old 12-10-2013, 05:35 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,423,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I've been living here full-time since September and I've been busy and just now starting to get out into the community. People are always friendly but seem to be private and it's hard to get a conversation going beyond an initial exchange. Sometimes people need common experiences, like a sports team or extreme weather or something else of common interest, to keep a conversation going. The cultural diversity is a positive thing and one reason why I moved here but I wonder if it limits the common connections. But...I've only been here a short time so what do I know??
SunGrins,
Keep talking with the same people. Be real/honest in your conversations. Be positive. It takes time.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:27 PM

209 posts, read 465,918 times
What we like about ABQ is that we can find stuff there that is just not available in Santa Fe. That includes medical care we can't get in SF. It's only about 45 - 60 minutes in light traffic most of the time from home. The Sandia Mountains may be the best urban interface wild land in the lower 48. What we don't like is the horrendous sprawl development, typical of western cities with room to spread. It's flat out nuts from the eastern shore of the Rio Grande with nearly every building super sized. Traffic is typically bad on city streets and the only reasonable way to get around is by auto. Of course some of these issues are shared by many other cities, mine included. From 2000 to 2010 the metro area grew by 21.6%. We can expect more of this with some projections of 40% over the next 20 years. Will this happen? I submit that it will not. Water supplies will be significantly used up unless agriculture is ENDED in New Mexico and the water rights sold to allow growth. And when that is done, ABQ will be is just another crap sprawl, miserable, megalopolis.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:53 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solovino1 View Post
Water supplies will be significantly used up unless agriculture is ENDED in New Mexico and the water rights sold to allow growth.
Sorry, currently just not true....

Old 12-11-2013, 07:40 AM

209 posts, read 465,918 times
No sir I am right to the extent the ABQ will run out of water. The hydrology of the west is intensely complex and is dependent upon upon what we get, what we pollute, and what we use. One pro business source I looked at for this stated that there was a, get this, 50 year supply of water. But that supposition is based on the San Juan Chama project, which in turn is dependent on the Colorado River because the San Juan is a tributary of that river. The Colorado is tapped out and Front Range cities want more from it. If the states of New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, and Colorado outlawed lawns and golf courses, it would make a big, perhaps huge difference. Not counting on that... If urban growth matters more than farming, and I believe it does, then yes ABQ will fuel it's growth with whatever it can get it's hands on.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:36 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solovino1 View Post
No sir I am right to the extent the ABQ will run out of water.
Then we have a difference of opinion. ABQ is using less water this year than they have in the past 30 years. The last time ABQ water use was this low was 1983, when the city’s population was a little more than half what it is today.... I've been hearing the Southwest running out of water since 1968. I'll wait here to watch the last drop.

REFERENCE:
ABQ water use down 6 percent | ABQJournal Online
By John Fleck / Journal Staff Writer Wed, Oct 23, 2013

Old 12-11-2013, 09:13 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,510,387 times
Just need to keep educating people on water use, most of us just don't realize the amount we waste. Sounds like someone in the Abq. area got the word out. Abq. seems to use less water than Pheonix just based on the greenery seen in the area (not pop.) Why move to the southwest and try to make it look like back east? It is beautiful with it's own natural colors and awesome expanses of mesas, plains, gorges. Hope the city/state will continue to educate people on the importance of conserving natural resouces. If it is doing so put it in the positives for Abq. count.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,377 times
I just moved here from NYC area only because of my fiancee, and ABQ is the WORST place I have ever lived. I would rather live in Colorado, Washington state, California, basically ANYWHERE. My reasons are:

natives are extremely stupid
horrible schools
ZERO night life for anyone over the age of 25
hardly any bands come here, I have friends in major touring bands that refuse to come here because of the crime
Downtown is the scariest, most ghetto sh*thole i have ever been to, filled with homeless crackheads
ZERO shopping, they are finally getting a H&M, whoopee
CRIME, car break ins, homeless crackheads on every corner, even in the "nice" area
Low pay, bad jobs

However it is really beautiful I suppose, nice to VISIT. Not to live in. The new mexican food is good, italian food is a JOKE, even the so called authentic italian pizza and food in rio craphole. There's alot of hiking/biking to do, but how much of that can you really do? For people that are going to respond that I should leave instead of b*tching, trust me I will be leaving this cess pool of sh*t the second I can.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:43 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,169 times
Going by the above post I am assuming that NY has even worse schools. The grammar, punctuation and spelling leaves a lot to desired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque