Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 07:30 AM

5,015 posts, read 7,405,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Chip View Post
You've done a great job encapsulating the Land of Entrapment - And there's only one way to deal with it. Leave. New Mexicans will never change - even if they could get motivated to do so.

Manana attitude? My AC is out. 100 degrees. I can't get a call back from my landlord. Of course, they're HVAC guy came out - after missing three appointments without a call - and he didn't have a ladder. A plumber without a ladder. Only in New Mexico.

Low standards? Try no standards. And heaven help you if you actually get frustrated with the complete incompetence here. People look at you as though you're nuts for expecting anyone to do they're job.
You're a writer, yes?

Hint: it's "their HVAC guy" and "their job." "They're" is a contraction meaning "they are."

Not that I would accuse you of low standards or incompetence. Nope, not me.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:48 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,305,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
You're a writer, yes?

Hint: it's "their HVAC guy" and "their job." "They're" is a contraction meaning "they are."

Not that I would accuse you of low standards or incompetence. Nope, not me.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:50 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,169 times
Quote:
You've done a great job encapsulating the Land of Entrapment - And there's only one way to deal with it. Leave. New Mexicans will never change - even if they could get motivated to do so.

Manana attitude? My AC is out. 100 degrees. I can't get a call back from my landlord. Of course, they're HVAC guy came out - after missing three appointments without a call - and he didn't have a ladder. A plumber without a ladder. Only in New Mexico.

Low standards? Try no standards. And heaven help you if you actually get frustrated with the complete incompetence here. People look at you as though you're nuts for expecting anyone to do they're job.
I know 4 HVAC guys that would have your system up and running today. I'd provide their phone numbers but as a dumb NM'er I may not be smart enough to locate their numbers on my smart phone. If I did provide their phone numbers and they didn't show up they would never get work from me again. Which is a lot of $'s for them.

P.s. An HVAC technician isn't necessarily a plumber.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:34 AM

811 posts, read 2,940,371 times
Quote:
Great post! And have you noticed that the New Mexicans replying don't really have much substantive to say against your points - they just make fun of them?

Biased towards Hispanic? If you're not Hispanic, give up any hope of a job or a social life. We're outsiders. That'll never change.

The funny thing about this post is, lots of "New MEXICANS" are not actually from New Mexico. "If you're not Hispanic, give up any hope of a job or a social life." Talk about narrow minded......hhmmm personal biased maybe?

Old 06-25-2012, 11:19 PM

11 posts, read 30,743 times
Lol! Dan, NMHacker, Zoidberg, Aries63, Observe and other advocates; you're responses are refreshing and amusing.

Although everyone has a right to their opinion and perspective, just when a reader is swayed by negative comments that Albuquerque is going to hell in a handbasket, you guys make it real by conveying that for the most part, all is well in the Duke City after all .

EnjoyEP, Poncho, and others (sorry, I know there are many others) have done a fabulous job pointing out the positives as well, with photos and narratives. Anyone who's been reading these forums for a while and has visited Albuquerque, knows that the positives far outweigh the negatives, unless of course you love mega cities or happen to have experienced unfortunate circumstances.

Keep up the good work!!

Old 07-03-2012, 01:27 PM

17 posts, read 53,404 times
Locals like the way it is. So arguing about how this place is and so forth is not going to change anything. In the bigger scheme of things, the issues of this state is why this state is what it is. To live here you simply must accept it and work it out. Remember that people make up the place. And as another person said that if you do not like it, leave. Yes, take the advise and run with it. You know deep inside you can do better.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:40 AM

186 posts, read 465,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californianalways View Post
Locals like the way it is. So arguing about how this place is and so forth is not going to change anything. In the bigger scheme of things, the issues of this state is why this state is what it is. To live here you simply must accept it and work it out. Remember that people make up the place. And as another person said that if you do not like it, leave. Yes, take the advise and run with it. You know deep inside you can do better.

I think the main issue here is what people are expecting when they move to NM. If you move to NM and expect it to be just like where you came from, you are probably going to be disappointed. Not because NM is BAD (because it isn't), but because it will never live up to your expectations. NM is simply DIFFERENT from most other places. That is usually what draws people there. The very fact that it IS different. When I lived in NM, I loved that laid-back pace..the fact that it didn't have the whole rat-race thing going on. Does that mean that New Mexicans are lazy? Nope...it just means that they don't feel the need to go 90 miles an hour 24/7. If you want things to constantly be go-go-go-go, then NM isn't the place for you. If you're trying to escape that whole mindset, and want a little more leisurely pace, then yes you will love it there.

NM is ideal for people looking to escape the rat race, and who want to enjoy a slower pace, without judgement. If you're looking for a fast-paced lifestyle, you'd be better off in NY or LA.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:03 PM

434 posts, read 1,106,180 times
^agree, but to some of us it's more of a rat race compared to where we were from. I'm from a smaller area in Illinois (Quad Cities) and Albuquerque seems nearly overwhelming to me, so it's very subjective and just varies where you're coming from. But it's beautiful here and 100x better than where I was previously.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:46 AM

186 posts, read 465,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayely1 View Post
^agree, but to some of us it's more of a rat race compared to where we were from. I'm from a smaller area in Illinois (Quad Cities) and Albuquerque seems nearly overwhelming to me, so it's very subjective and just varies where you're coming from. But it's beautiful here and 100x better than where I was previously.
You bring up a very good point. If someone is coming from a rural area, ABQ might be more "big city" than they are used to. If someone is coming from a major city, then ABQ (and all of NM, for that matter) might be too laid-back. In order to be happy, someone just has to want to live in ABQ because they love what it "is" instead of "what they want it to be in their minds".

Old 07-05-2012, 09:33 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
The cities of Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles and New York, each have a population greater than the whole state of New Mexico. Land-wise, New Mexico is the fifth largest state. So trying to make comparisons can be difficult at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque