Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 01:15 AM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoenfraun View Post
I understand Winnie's stories of shooting guns at a shooting range, but what's with everyone wanting to carry guns? Just curious...

Is it a Wild West thing? I'm from Chicago and I don't know anyone who carries a gun anywhere, except for law enforcement-types. I do know many people with guns at home. But I've never met anyone who carries a gun outside of their professional responsibilities. I'm naive, I guess.

Really. I'm just curious. Why do you want to go to the hardware store wearing a gun? Or the grocery store? Why do you want to wear a gun when you go to parent-teacher conferences (if you do that sort of thing)? Do you wear them to baseball games?

What's the deal with you guys and guns?
NO..just because you have a CC permit does not mean that you choose to carry everywhere. Carrying is a personal decision and I know very, very few who carry on a regular basis. You cannot carry in a school zone, courthouse, a liquor store, a hospital and other scenarios. You should not carry if you are going to consume alcohol. So carrying to DS's baseball game is out of the question in most cases, unless the league is not on school property. Going into a gas station that sells wine is a no no. Visiting grandma in the nursing home? You get the idea! You can see why many do not live with a gun strapped to their waist.

Common scenarios would be if you were hiking in the forest and are concerned about wolves, bear, mountain lions or snakes, going on a road trip in an unfamilar/remote area, going into an undesireable area of town at a bad hour..sometimes you are on your way to the range and while you might not be carrying you still have a firearm on your posession and need (in some states) a carry permit even to have the weapon in your car. NY is a prime example of that.

That is where people who do not understand guns and the responsibilities involved in owning one misjudge. The decision to carry is not about trying to make others feel uneasy, it is not about trying to put on some machismo or that the carrier is paranoid.. Most that I know would prefer strongly that you NOT know they are carrying and would rather just keep quiet about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 01:50 PM

96 posts, read 275,602 times
Default gun laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Here in Arizona, we can carry a gun without a permit as long as it is in the open and not concealed. A permit is required if it is concealed. What is the law in New Mexico?

HI, If you have not already seen this try here.....

http://nraila.org/gunlaws

good luck
LOVE THE U.S.A.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:30 PM

18 posts, read 60,351 times
Default NM Laws

I live in NM and I do not have my conceal permit yet altough I have taken the training for it. I carry a side arm all the time. This state is awsome for concealed in a car without any permit. The police do like to mess with me when I am carrying in the open. They like to take it out, disarm it and ask me why I need it, so on. I usally dont say anything except "give me back my firearm" and after a minute or so they do, I then load it, chamber it and holster it. They hate that!! the laws here are very clear, this is a gun lovers state even if the democrats have been running it. I dont know how many times Ive just stoped out of the city limits and start shooting targets. As long as you are morew then 150 yards from a dwelling and using common sense(direction and distance) its all good. I usally have my .223 and .45 acp in my truck all the time. I am about 30 minutes from Albuquerque so there are alot of coyotes here.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:16 AM

642 posts, read 2,552,126 times
Like said before common sense for where you carry. I actually would rather carry a fire arm concealed but when growing up in Florida I do remember everyone had to have their guns in view. In the car its on the console or dash. In a truck hanging on the back window normally. We were raised to respect a gun and only point it if you meant to shoot. It is not a toy. I would only use one in the middle of no where, a shooting range or carry in a dangerous area. People from areas with a lot of guns are from a history that guns helped keep your family alive in many different respects. Also they usually are smarter & more aware about using a gun correctely for it can take a life and by accident. We dont normally try to irritate cops, scare others and get enjoyment about just how close we can shoot to a dwelling.
kwilson20 is someone who makes it harder on those who carry for sensible reasons.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:15 PM

Default You got to be kidding me

I do not make it harder for anyone carrying for "sensible reasons". I dont try to "irritate cops", i cant help it if they dont like our laws. I refuse to not carry a firearm becasue it might irritate a police officer. Where do you get that I "scare others and get enjoyment about just how close we can shoot to a dwelling" I am simply pointing out our laws here, I dont live in a city or in city limits. Have you ever even seen a coyote? Where I shoot I have never scared anyone, as a matter of fact most people will bring out there guns and take turns shooting. As far as "using a gun correctely", I have never had to point a gun at another human, I have taken many saftey courses and have spent many days at a shooting range. I have taught my kids to use firearms properly and take them out to shoot all the time. I have never broken the law when it comes to guns, nothing I do is illeagal with my guns. Thats the reason I am allowed to shoot almost anywhere in this state, Thats the reason I can have as many concealed guns I want in my car. Thats the reason I can carry a sidearm in the open.

It is people like COLTONCITY take make it harder for those who carry for sensible reasons. He does not understand what guns are made for. They are NOT for killing people but more for sport, fun, hunting and yes once in a blue blue moon self protection. COLTONCITY wants you to be afraid of guns and the people that carry them. He wants my way of life to stop and probablly lock all guns up or destroy them. .

Old 01-25-2007, 02:59 AM

Well maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to convey but you just sound so very happy at the oppurtunity to show cops what you can do with your gun. Obviously if they are willing to take time out to do all this to you they must have a good reason. I tend to believe in cops more a many others but I dont think thats wrong. Oh come on ... hunting ya of course but the majority of people carrying on regular bases is not fun it is self protection in some way.
But again I could be misunderstanding what your trying to say, especially with all the Awsomeness of NM gun laws you love to utilize so much. And its She by the way.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:40 AM

The only reason I pointed out what the police reaction was to a gun carried in the open, is to respond to a question in this thread asking how the police feel about it.

CLOUDCROFT wrote

Yeah, it IS legal to OC in NM, but that doesn't mean you won't get harrassed...or does it?

I mention this because I am STILL trying to find out (in another thread here) from NM residents -- in Albuquerque particularly -- if the police there harrass you if you open-carry.

But so far, no responses yet to my query, either from Albuquerque residents OR cops.

-- John D.[/b]

The officer that took my gun from me told me he didnt want to talk to someone that had a gun. I just happened to be the one that called the police that day because someone had vandalized my garage light that night. I was on my way to work and I always take my .40 s&w to work on Monday mornings. I always stand up for my rights and the princlpes I believe in. I never let police or anti-gun groups influence my decission to carry a gun. besides I've never seen a cop stop a rape or murder or even heard of such a story, you only hear about there investigations after the crime was commited.
maybe Coltoncity you live in a city, but where I live almost all the people I know that carry, do so that they can go target shooting or hunting. Just the other day I was driving to a friends and saw 4 coyotes, I wasnt able to get a good shot off but maybe next time. I did get a few quail the other day, but never have I had to use a gun in self defense and hopfully I NEVER have to.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:47 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Guns are a way of life in New Mexico, but not for shooting people as many people who dont understand guns think. Kwilson, i know what youre talking about, but the guns are ok guns are bad argument is unwinable with discussion, nobody budges. When i came from Ireland i was as anti-gun as anybody untill my father in law (from louisiana) started talking to me about guns, and in particular about gun safety. He then taught me to to physically shoot the gun. Then i had a state trooper teach me about handgun safety from there. I was convinced. But as i said, you cant win this discussion. I think anti-gun people have to be there, and see what youre talking about. I have more fun going out and shooting a spinner than most people can imagine.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:55 AM

182 posts, read 707,968 times
RE: Carrying a gun in New Mexico (or any state).

kwilson20,

Yes, I was the one who asked about the "harassment" issue re: open carry...thanks for the info. My research so far has shown that as a rule, police do NOT harass people who open-carry (re: concealed carry, how would they know just by looking?). That's good news for me as I plan to O-C every time I visit NM, and, when I move there a CHL will be gotten later.

I still would like more input from people in Albuquerque -- and anyone in Rio Rancho -- but that is still proving to be hard to get in this forum and over in the OpenCarry.org New Mexico area forum.

Also yes, some cops hate to see us carrying a gun...as if THEY are the only ones who are supposed to have that right. They often forget they work for us -- public servants -- they are not our master. They should just do what they do best: Get there AFTER the crime has happened and write a report/call for an ambulance or the coroner. Let us armed citizens take care of the problem WHEN IT HAPPENS since WE are on the scene, not them. Besides, we do a better job of it anyway. Always have.

I wouldn't try, for no reason, to "irritate cops" (coltoncity's phrase), either, but doing what you did after the cop gave your gun back to you was correct. First, you needed it to be loaded...it's STUPID to be carrying an unloaded gun. ..kind of defeats the purpose of carrying, doesn't it. Second, you show the cops it's YOUR RIGHT to be armed, and it's NONE of their business. Hopefully, DAs and some cops will get the message: Leave decent people alone and go after the crooks...cops KNOW who the crooks are in any given neighborhood, so they should go get them, or sit outside stop-and-robs, or bust the brazen out-in-the-open/in-your-face street-corner dope-dealers, and stop bothering decent citizens. Besides, it's been well known for decades that criminals do not fear armed cops anyway, they fear armed citizens.

But I disagree 100% with you here: I do NOT carry my gun for "hunting or target shooting"...in fact, I know of NO ONE who carries who has that in mind! NO ONE! It's for dealing with any criminal confrontation, it's that simple. My guns and ammo are chosen to deal with people (criminals), not animals or paper.

Guns are made for ALL the purposes you mention, kwilson20, AS WELL AS for killing people. That's just how it is. It's only a tool. It has no inherent good or evil nature. It's the shooter who makes that decision.

BrianH,

Yes, I agree it an argument you can't win...but I do speak out anyway!

And yes, LOTS of people -- usually anti-gun liberals -- need something bad to happen to them or theirs before they wake up. That's pathetic and shameful. They can't even defend themselves -- which is bad enough -- but not being able to defend their own family who depends upon the father/mother for protection is particularly shameful (no, calling 911 is not a "defense"). These are the people who put locks on their doors AFTER a burglary instead of BEFORE one. So be it...let them pay whatever price for being so clueless...and apparently unbeknownst to them, victims just waiting to happen.

The rest of us don't need such "instruction." I mean, how many times does one have to be mugged/robbed/maimed/raped or killed to wake up? I say zero times. Is that just me? It's only prudent to be prepared. It's not "living in fear" -- as many ignorant naive anti-gun people say (who cringe in fear just SEEING a gun) -- nor is it being paranoid, it's just BAD NEWS for any criminal(s) looking for easy targets. They'd MUCH rather choose someone unarmed than armed. That's a law of nature, a law most people just don't get.

And despite laws in many states allowing MOST people to carry, MOST people do NOT carry -- for whatever reason -- it's only about 3% (or less) of a qualified population that actually does. So let those who take personal responsibility for their own safety do so. If others don't, that's fine, but they fend for themselves...call dial-a-prayer (911/police) but don't call on armed citizens (like they did during the Rodney King riots) to bail them out. In fact, there are plenty of t-shirts they can wear -- and signs they can put up in their front yards -- stating their anti-gun and "proud to be unarmed, please don't hurt me" views. I encourage such people to wear them and also identify their homes as gun-free-zones. Proudly STAND UP for your anti-gun position -- like pro-gun people do (yours truly here) -- and proudly let the criminals also know where YOU stand...put your life where your mouth is.

But please, leave the rest of us smarter people alone.

-- John D.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:28 PM

I just dont not see why you all are so so against the police. You call them when you are in trouble. And oh my goodness calling it shameful not to have a gun? Shameful for a Mother/Father not to have a gun? Your ridiculous and I wont even entertain your words any longer. As if a rape victim didnt have sense to have a gun ready. How ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque