Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 11:07 PM

91 posts, read 142,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
^ Agreed, a large market is really good idea for that space. I think the weekend flea market at the fairgrounds should be combined with the downtown growers market and moved into that space - a sort of bazaar where you could buy anything. With the industrial backdrop and the lighting with those huge windows, it would be amazing, and a far better venue than where those events are currently held.
That's actually a good idea. I didn't think about that. It would cut down on the bottle neck traffic on Central too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 11:56 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Any large market would require ample parking. While that area does have lots of open land, the cost of building a parking lot to serve a corresponding demand would probably exceed the renovation costs of the buildings.

Also, not sure that's the best use of my tax dollars for the city to compete against the businesses paying its taxes. Making the facility available for purchase by a private commercial RE developer is what I'd propose (and if they want to knock it down.. that's a discussion to be had later).

Old 10-16-2012, 06:33 PM

508 posts, read 1,087,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Any large market would require ample parking. While that area does have lots of open land, the cost of building a parking lot to serve a corresponding demand would probably exceed the renovation costs of the buildings.

Also, not sure that's the best use of my tax dollars for the city to compete against the businesses paying its taxes. Making the facility available for purchase by a private commercial RE developer is what I'd propose (and if they want to knock it down.. that's a discussion to be had later).
The plans are for the L.A.-based developers mentioned in poncho's links to utilize the space in a way that meets their goals of making money as private developers, while the city and area neighborhoods provide feedback on what they want, which is how all infill development typically works. At any rate, even if the building remained completely city-owned, I'm not sure how renting the space to a number of small businesses and produce sellers works any different than, well, anything else. I mean, should the city not allow the Grower's market to occupy a city park? Were you envisioning a city-managed market? Because those are typically managed by a city, but utilize local vendors.

Also, keep in mind that this would be an in urban location that allows for many people to walk/bike/go by bus to the market. Do you find parking to be an issue at the current downtown market? I would think parking availability would be even easier at the railyards.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:10 AM

350 posts, read 768,863 times
The first draft of the master plan is to be made available to the public next week (Oct. 25). Several community meetings have already taken place. I imagine parking was considered during the initial planning process. They have a lot of space to work with on-site, and there's lots of street parking available in Barelas.

Here's the developer's website: http://www.samitaur.com/constructs.html

Old 10-29-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Tall View Post
This blog (UrbanABQ) has some info on the rail yards master plan.
UrbanABQ
I can see my house! Looks interesting. Wish I could have made it to the meeting.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:33 AM

14 posts, read 31,138 times
Ohio did this thing with the old railyards that worked out really well. They turned it into several "mall" type stores but kept the same old town feeling with the railyards. I like Burquebinders idea. I have also seen this type of thing work out in Phoenix. How about maybe a railcar museum? The rail yards have a lot of history!

Old 10-29-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lioness45385 View Post
How about maybe a railcar museum? The rail yards have a lot of history!
The "Wheels Museum" has been open on the site for some time. Looks neat.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:45 PM

163 posts, read 308,068 times
Albuquerque's Industrial Cathedral: The ATSF Rail Yards

Posted by John Mulhouse on July 17, 2013 at 10:00am

There are numerous towns in New Mexico that owe their lives to the railroad. Many can also lay their deaths at the feet of that very same railroad, which quickly abandoned them when their services were no longer needed. One city that can trace the foundation of its modern character to the railroad but has now grown so far beyond it that the connection has nearly been lost is Albuquerque. Yet recently interest in the railroad has been growing in the Duke City. Aside from the popularity of the Rail Runner and National Train Day, there has been renewed attention given to the Albuquerque Rail Yards, which once employed 25% of the city’s workforce. The rail yards may have defined Albuquerque for the first half of the 20th Century, but for the last couple decades they have been quietly slipping from public view.

http://www.dukecityfix.com/profiles/...tsf-rail-yards

Old 07-17-2013, 05:44 PM

295 posts, read 591,926 times
A complete master plan is what it needs!

Residential, commercial... things that will attract people. Not sculptures and galleries and museums. Look at Denver for instance, it's LoDo plan is coming alive and it's about 75% complete.

We need some large commericial or some shopping so we can bring people to Downtown, brand it as "The Albuquerque Railyard"

Old 07-17-2013, 06:49 PM

132 posts, read 291,294 times
Dan From NM, that's the style of master plan that's needed for the Alvarado Transit Center. It's the only area where that type, scale, density is allowable. Lots of land to the east of the tracks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque