Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 12:33 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times

Advertisements

We wanted to go, but could not...

From their Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheAlbuquerqueRailyards
Quote:
The Albuquerque Rail Yards The market volunteers clocked 7950 coming through the door!

There also as another related Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheAlbuquerqueRailyards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 02:23 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,852 times
The turn out was quite good. I hope it continues that way or even gets bigger.

I'd always hoped the shop buildings (especially the biggest one) would be turned into some sort of market akin to places like the Faneuil Hall Marketplace in Boston, and this is pretty close to what I envisioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
I think it would be an awesome place for a brewery.
Yes, that's a great idea and hopefully that will happen as well.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:01 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,049 times
If it turned into something like Pike Place Market in Seattle that would be amazing.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:46 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
Pike Place was well-planned out and continues to shine as one of Seattle's marvels. You're right, Albuquerque would really benefit from a place like Pike Place Market there.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:57 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
An interesting (to me at least) 25 minute historical video by PBS:

COLORES | Albuquerque's Historic Railroad Shops | New Mexico P
Uploaded on Dec 15, 2009

Like the bones of some odd prehistoric dinosaur, perhaps no other buildings in the Southwest have such a presence or history, they sit quietly just outside Albuquerque's downtown. Walking through the empty interiors is an eerie experience with miles of glass windows, cavernous spaces, and curious remnants. For over 70 years the Santa Fe Railroad operated a huge repair and work shop here. The impact of the shops was so pervasive, townspeople set their clocks to the shop whistle as it signaled the beginning and end of the workday which were the heartbeat of the city and economic engine that helped power a nation. This documentary takes a fascinating photographic voyage through these tremendous buildings and hears of the remarkable experiences of the people who worked there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUNuu-p5U2M

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-07-2014 at 08:51 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 05:57 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
FWIW - These huge railroad shops were closed after the steam engines were replaced by Diesel electrics that required about 10% of the start up and heavy maintenance time. On a much smaller scale some of the abandoned New England textile mills have been concerted to everything from office space to condominiums. If you keep the water out those buildings can last a very long time.

Albuquerque has a great resource in these buildings. I can only encourage them to make good use of them.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:37 AM

686 posts, read 1,101,821 times
Lots of potential, but it has to be done right to be successful.

I was recently in St Louis and ate at a restaurant in their converted central train station in downtown, a conversion that occurred some 20 or so years ago. Frankly, it needs to be redone - it has the tired, bad shopping mall design and feel of the 80s - and unless I missed it, the fantastic light rail system in St Louis doesn't serve this place, and they charge a pretty penny for parking (can be negated by validation if you spend money, but still, if you wanted to go just to walk around for an afternoon, you probably wouldn't). It is not an inviting or very interesting development today, and the bottom line is I would never go back there again, even if I lived in St Louis.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:09 AM

163 posts, read 308,090 times
City signs Rail Yards agreement

Andy Beale
Digital Producer-
Albuquerque Business First

Chief Administrative Officer Rob Perry signed an agreement with Samitaur Constructs today to begin developing the 27-acre Rail Yards site.

The agreement, known as a Master Development Disposition Agreement, lays out the relationship between the city and the developer and defines what is expected of the developer at the site. The MDDA was already approved by the City Council on June 16, along with the overall master development plan.

City Planning Director Suzanne Lubar said once the MDDA has been signed, Samitaur can begin laying the groundwork for actual development.

“Basically, now that the MDDA is being signed today by the CIO, Rob Perry, it allows Samitaur to start predevelopment activities on the site,” Lubar said. “Those activities can include conducting soil studies at the site, meeting and negotiating potential leases with the tenants and working with the city and the state development office to create a memorandum of understanding that will guide how these historic properties will be treated.”

Signing the MDDA also allows the city to start looking for the money it will need for the development efforts.

City signs Rail Yards agreement - Albuquerque Business First

Old 07-24-2014, 11:32 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,578 times
How about a live/work/shop mixed-use center to attract young professionals? Lots of cities are getting traction building mixed use communities around transit. Los Angeles, for example, has successfully built mixed use housing around Red Line stations that go up to North Hollywood, etc. They're livable and cut down on car use.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:29 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Only semi related but I wonder what Las Vegas, NM is going to do with that huge round house/engine works in their rail yard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque