Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 10:24 AM

1,418 posts, read 4,918,238 times

Advertisements

The Peak of Sandia is at the far north east end of albuquerque. Downtown is on the far south side, west of I-25. The mountains would not ever be blocked, even by a building 1000ft tall, because they would never be in the line of sight of the mountains. Look at this picture on wikipedia, and see how the building's interfere with the mountains. They don't.

Last edited by abqsunport; 07-14-2008 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: Pic is from Wikipedia, not my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 10:24 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,963,094 times
Yes,Abqsunport, I wish our downtown were half as nice as downtown San Antonio. We need some kind of focal point or multi focal points to draw people there. Some highrises are inevitable as long as they are not behemoths. What's always worked against ABQ is that Old Town is not contiguous with downtown, so the city is split in two. Historical section, tourist section, shops, restaurants, split off a couple of miles from downtown itself.

Stunning picture btw.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:25 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
In San Antonio there are no mountains to block with high rises. That is the difference I see.
One man's (pedestrian's) mountain-blockage is another man's (building tenant's) breathtaking-view-of-the-mountain.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Yes,Abqsunport, I wish our downtown were half as nice as downtown San Antonio. We need some kind of focal point or multi focal points to draw people there. Some highrises are inevitable as long as they are not behemoths. What's always worked against ABQ is that Old Town is not contiguous with downtown, so the city is split in two. Historical section, tourist section, shops, restaurants, split off a couple of miles from downtown itself.

Stunning picture btw.
I agree, Old Town and Downtown need to flow continuously. Really, it would be nice if Old Town to Nob Hill/Ridgecrest just flowed nicely. Hopefully one day. BTW, the pics not mine. Its the pic on wikipedia.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:54 PM

710 posts, read 2,962,441 times
Downtown really needs to refocus and figure out what type(s) of development should occur. The bar scene which used to be the staple down here has deteriorated so much in recent years. It seems to me that only the young punks choose to hang there after dark and cause trouble. APD has responded by placing 50-100 officers on the weekend but all they do is stand outside the clubs. So those of us not seeking trouble get bothered by the punks and the excessive law enforcement presence. These officers need to be walking the beat making sure the alleys, and dark corners are safe and clean so that residents will once again feel safe there. Once they can accomplish that FEAT they can start trying to lure in some real restaurants and retail to the area. Boise, ID has been successful in their push to revitilize their Downtown. And many have said for being such a small city, their urban core is as vibrant (granted smaller scale) as that of Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:33 PM

Guess that brings us around to the question again of how to revitalize downtown. It can "look like a real city" with lots of skyscapers ,but a collection of high rises isn't the answer either. Downtown LA has a collection of high rises and it looks halfway impressive from a distance, but it's dead and boring once you're there.

Some urban planner in San Antonio had the genius to think of creating the Riverwalk and make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Huge success, a big draw.

Whither downtown Albuquerque? Lots more people living downtown, lots more businesses. Too bad the Hispanic Cultural Center, the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center, the ABQ Museum weren't located downtown. The city is fragmented and it's been a handicap.

I still haven't read many creative suggestions for downtown on this thread including from me!

Old 07-14-2008, 02:06 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
here's a couple pics from Photobucket I found of skylines with mountains in the background.

Denver-

Salt Lake City-

The Sandias are visible from pretty much anywhere in the city, the buildings would not block the mountains.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:27 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
bradly countered:

> Originally Posted by rybert
> > ... issue with stars would be light pollution. ...

> ... dont you think that if people wanna see stars they should consider
> moving to the country instead of a city like albuquerque, ....

Um, ... no. If I wanted to live in the country, I would. I like being in town and I like the stars to be visible.

There's no reason that we should accept light pollution. There is also an energy conservation aspect to it. If you have lower-wattage lighting that is reflected toward the place that you want illuminated (not the sky) then it's a win-win. The same light is on the ground and you can see where you are going.

You spend less money on lighting and the light doesn't "pollute." Too many places like Flagstaff and Tucson simply throw up their hands and leave places dark rather than just install smarter lighting.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:39 PM

Things I think Downtown needs:

1.) More people
-More conventions
-More condos
-More reasons to come downtown (ie Arena)
2.) More Food and Entertainments venues
-High Scale Restaurants
-Steak
-French (ie Savoy)
-Ethnic (ie Tuscanos)
-Moderate Restaurants w/ Bars
-Maybe a Gardunos
-Z Tejas
-Something like a chiles
-more more more more more local establishments (ie Saggios)
-Health Conscience foods
-Smoothie King
-Some Sort of Salad Bar
-local local local local establishments
-Bars and Clubs
-more places like the launchpad and sunshine
-a full dance club like Gotham or the Phoenix
-some classy local bars like on Austin's 6th Street
-piano bar
-Comedy Club (like Laffs on San Mateo, or like Esthers Follies in Austin)
3.) More Hotels
-see more people section
4.) Completely connect Old Town and Nob Hill to Downtown via good public transportation (Rapid Ride is good, but we need better)
5.) Perhaps an amusement park
-Elich Gardens is right outside DT Denver, and that is very cool
6.) More businesses (a high priority)
-more money dt
-more people dt

Old 07-14-2008, 03:05 PM

Most of which I agree with you Abqsunport (except for a Central Ave. arena). How about also a first rate performing arts center, or a Rem Koolhaas or S. Calatrava, or Frank Gehry designed building? I'd love to see a continuous stretch of condos and buildings along a grand, landscaped ( with trees) Central Ave. full of cafes and restaurants between Old Town and Downtown.
Just dreaming....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque