Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2007, 07:05 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by councilor j View Post
Albq. looks like a little city, something more like a Amarillo,Texas. For having 500,000 residents Albq, sure dosent have much. The Albq. skyline is small. There are city's with half the population of Albq. but they have larger skylines and more of a city feeling, like(Des Moines,Iowa,Tulsa,OK,OK City,OK, and Omaha,Nebraska. I live in Albq.and it feels like living in a oversized Las Cruces, just a town with lots of traffic and freeways.I think Albq could improve on adding more attractions such as a more attractive convention center, a Six Flags style theme park, palm trees around the Big I,
upscale shopping centers,and a better downtown area with more of a urban feel so people can live and shop in downtown.I requested to the Mayor that Albq. should build the first adobe style skyscraper. Think about it. That would set Albuquerque's skyline apart from the rest.-------------any input.
Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. What makes you think Albuq. doesn't look like a "real" city? Albuq. is one of the most beautiful and interesting looking cities in the country. I've been in Vegas for most of the past 43 years, and saw it grow from less than 200,000 to nearly 2 million. Most of that happened in just the last 20 years. Now they are building high rises all over town and they don't exactly enhance the looks of things. It makes me sad to see how this town has been ruined. It has mostly been a California invasion and I see they are now trying to take over Albuquerque too. Californians have done to Nevada what they did to their own state...they took a virtual paradise and destroyed it. You're next Albuquerque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 02:41 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,488,294 times
Default We're not next, we're there

It wasn't a year ago that some realtors here in ABQ were squiring groups of CA speculators/investors around on field trips. One guy at Coldwell Banker I talked to saw some guy from LA buy west side houses literally by the handful on spec.

California money is already here, its behind most of the new rental houses trying to wait out the down market till they can slo-mo flip 'em at last. Its all over Santa Fe and Taos, to the detriment of the locals dealing with NMs eternally lowball job market. It's the reason there's about two acres of gorgeous granite slabs sitting at that Arizona Tile store right off I-25. I just hope its still here for us to at least break even when we sell our house.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
It wasn't a year ago that some realtors here in ABQ were squiring groups of CA speculators/investors around on field trips. One guy at Coldwell Banker I talked to saw some guy from LA buy west side houses literally by the handful on spec.

California money is already here, its behind most of the new rental houses trying to wait out the down market till they can slo-mo flip 'em at last. Its all over Santa Fe and Taos, to the detriment of the locals dealing with NMs eternally lowball job market. It's the reason there's about two acres of gorgeous granite slabs sitting at that Arizona Tile store right off I-25. I just hope its still here for us to at least break even when we sell our house.
I was checking on rental homes the other day and found there are over 250 available. I started to call a rental company and was surprised to see it was in California. Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised though. I've heard about the CA speculators over there.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:28 PM

88 posts, read 375,906 times
I'm going to chime in only because I am considering a move to ABQ and I have a little urban planning reading under my belt. The large central cities developed when center cities were where all the jobs were and a common trading square was necessary. Just like computers, society has moved from centralization to networks in the past 50 years. A large center city is anachronistic and will only serve to increase traffic congestion. ABQ would be smart to keep it's downtown small, and build up several other "nodes" of employment, services, and retail. A web of public transit that isn't focused on a single central station, and instead interconnects the nodes would put ABQ at the forefront of urban design in the new era of internetworked society. Without a large city-core, I tend to feel that ABQ is at a distinct advantage in that it does not have that legacy to support.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:55 PM

710 posts, read 2,962,441 times
Elphin - Those are great points, and that is what the New Urbanism approach is all about. ABQ has two VERY large developments which will do just that. The 13,000 acre Mesa Del Sol Development being done by Forest City, and the 57,000 acre SunCal deal on the Atrisco Land Grant. I really do hope that these two experienced development companies stick to this approach as construction begins.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:56 PM

88 posts, read 375,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finmqa1 View Post
Elphin - Those are great points, and that is what the New Urbanism approach is all about. ABQ has two VERY large developments which will do just that. The 13,000 acre Mesa Del Sol Development being done by Forest City, and the 57,000 acre SunCal deal on the Atrisco Land Grant. I really do hope that these two experienced development companies stick to this approach as construction begins.
I would argue that some aspects of New Urbanism produce results similar to what I am saying. Peter Calthorpe's Transit-Oriented Development is probably the closest of the bunch. The key, I think, is for jobs to be at the nodes, not just a transit stop, a grocery store, and a dry cleaner. This requires office space to be built there, 4 or 5 story buildings at the center of the nodes, and so on. Though I've certainly not been everywhere, TOD's and other New Urbanist developments all to often are "New SubUrbanist", and result in fancy strip malls surrounded by condos. That isn't helpful.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElphinKnight View Post
I would argue that some aspects of New Urbanism produce results similar to what I am saying. Peter Calthorpe's Transit-Oriented Development is probably the closest of the bunch. The key, I think, is for jobs to be at the nodes, not just a transit stop, a grocery store, and a dry cleaner. This requires office space to be built there, 4 or 5 story buildings at the center of the nodes, and so on. Though I've certainly not been everywhere, TOD's and other New Urbanist developments all to often are "New SubUrbanist", and result in fancy strip malls surrounded by condos. That isn't helpful.
Hmmm. Sounds like Vegas. One reason we are leaving after 43 years. I guess in the past 40 or so years the large shopping centers have become the new "town centers". Now they are building shopping malls all over the place that look like the old downtowns once looked. We have a huge one going in right on the Strip called City Center where you will be able to find everything you need within a short walk from your 3 million dollar condo. There is already a small version called The District, and I saw one the other day going up that will look a lot like my hometown back east.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:55 PM

710 posts, read 2,962,441 times
I don't think you'll see that happen here anytime soon. It will not be one Lifestyle Center after another. ABQ is a city deeply rooted in its history, so while we may consider new ways of doing things, we always try to keep it uniquely ABQ! ABQ does not have the RAPID growth rates that PHX, LV, or LA have had historically, which has allowed us to keep things more constant and unique than those three cities.

But I won't say never!

Old 06-04-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finmqa1 View Post
I don't think you'll see that happen here anytime soon. It will not be one Lifestyle Center after another. ABQ is a city deeply rooted in its history, so while we may consider new ways of doing things, we always try to keep it uniquely ABQ! ABQ does not have the RAPID growth rates that PHX, LV, or LA have had historically, which has allowed us to keep things more constant and unique than those three cities.
Thank goodness, and that's why we are coming back there. Now somebody please close the door after we arrive.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:21 PM

68 posts, read 355,582 times
Default 30 story high rise condos in downtown ABQ

It looks like Albuquerques skyline might be changing.......read on..!!!!!

The Residences at Packard Place

The Residences at Packard Place (http://www.bluedotcorporation.com/development_pages/packardplace.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque