Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:05 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,715,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
It hit 58F today in the heights. Here's a pic from our driveway.
Awesome photo, Tim!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 11:20 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,516 times
Feb. 26th, 11am and it's up to 47F. Supposed to hit 56F & sunny today.

The local, low-water plants "in the know" are starting to send up new growth, eg. Yellow Coneflower, Licorice Mint (Autumn) Hyssop, etc. Time to cut back last year's dead shoots. Some of our hardier, small plants never completely died back this winter, eg. Rocky Mountain Penstemon, Pineleaf Penstemon and Garden Sage. South Africa's Purple Iceplant is starting to show some cold-weather, purple signs of life. The Afghanian "Russian Sage" is still in a winter slumber.

The fruit-type trees like cherries, pears etc. are budding out big time. The one in our backyard [which I didn't plant so don't know what it is] has buds getting so big they'll be exploding before long, I think. However, the Okla Redbud I planted last autumn is still chillin'.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:52 AM

298 posts, read 1,149,524 times
Thanks, Tim! Wow, budding trees already!!! We are having another winter storm here in Ohio. Our neighbors are jealous that we are moving to ABQ. They are threatening to stow themselves away in our truck!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:47 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopelp View Post
Thanks, Tim! Wow, budding trees already!!! We are having another winter storm here in Ohio. Our neighbors are jealous that we are moving to ABQ. They are threatening to stow themselves away in our truck!
Penelope, you guys are in for such a treat! Very exciting to be moving - the process is tiring, but once you are on the road the excitement will surely set in.

I still remember when we were driving west on I-40 with our furniture. About 30 mi. after Amarillo, the plains abrupty gave way to the most incredible views of sprawling mesas. We topped out on a ridge before starting a long descent, and the magnificent NM scenery filled the windshield. It still gives me goosebumps, remembering how I felt at the time.

If you take I-70 and then I-25 south, after you cross the pass between CO and NM and descend, the volcanic-inspired landscapes of NE New Mexico will take your breath away. The vistas between there and Santa Fe/Albuq are...well, you just have to see them for yourself!
Attached Thumbnails
Albuquerque in...February-welcome-nm.jpg  

Old 02-27-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
I still remember when we were driving west on I-40 with our furniture. About 30 mi. after Amarillo, the plains abrupty gave way to the most incredible views of sprawling mesas. We topped out on a ridge before starting a long descent, and the magnificent NM scenery filled the windshield. It still gives me goosebumps, remembering how I felt at the time.

If you take I-70 and then I-25 south, after you cross the pass between CO and NM and descend, the volcanic-inspired landscapes of NE New Mexico will take your breath away. The vistas between there and Santa Fe/Albuq are...well, you just have to see them for yourself!
TR, you guys are folks after my own heart.

As you alluded to, when I initially moved into ABQ, my wife and I came the I-25 route, coming down from Denver. I remember that first just unbelievably open, spacious, and blue skied view you get kind of "coming down" in altitude slightly after the Raton area, and thinking "wow, this is unbelievable".

Like you, I get goosebumps nearly thinking about it too.

The skies were so clear, the land so open and vast, the mountains and plateaus hauntingly hovering off into the side views, and the sun so bright and strong.

An incredibly view-laden drive in that stretch is between Las Vegas and Santa Fe. As you say, the views between SF and ABQ, while much different, are also amazing.

I remember my wife and I, not really knowing where in the world our rented-from-WI apartment would end up in the city, getting off I-25 at San Mateo and hooking onto Academy Blvd. east-bound. The weather was warm, spring was in full-force, the sun was shining, and as we kept heading farther and farther east up Academy (and the Sandias kept looming closer and closer and closer) we were as giddy as 16 year olds before the prom.

We pulled south-bound onto Eubank, observed the amazing views of the valleys and west side below us going on for miles, died with excitement seeing the neat desert landscaping in the medians of Eubank, and just were in heaven for a brief time.

On a very warm, sunny, 70-degree early spring day, we parked, ended up at the original Los Cuates on Lomas Blvd. and filled our gullets with amazing New Mexican cuisine and a margarita, stepped out into the soft, cooling Albuquerque desert night air, and things were good.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:16 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,918,238 times
All photos taken on 2/24/08

Downtown from the Far North East Heights (right next to La Cueva High):

Zoomed from the La Cueva Area

Backside of La Cueva High School

and of course.... The Sandias!!!!

Last edited by abqsunport; 02-27-2008 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: To double post in the metro photo thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:54 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
Wow, that last Sandia shot looks like the view from my office window on Tramway. I never tire of looking out the window, either. The mountain mood changes every day.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:55 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
abqsunport, you're killing me, especially with that last shot!

Old 02-28-2008, 05:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Do you albuquerque folks have any idea just how annoying you are? I was waiting for the bus to Boston this morning in a 19 deg damp northeast wind. Light snow last night and another storm (fron Ohio) over the weekend.

I have really had it with the cold. The snowbird/move planning is getting to be an obsession. We are planning another recon trip to northern NM this summer to get some idea of how hot is hot.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:04 AM

Default Hey GregW

Hey GregW -

I agree that the ABQeans are killing us northerners right now. Now, on their behalf, I will rub a little more salt into your (and my ) wounds:

10 Day Weather Forecast for Albuquerque, NM - weather.com -

CURRENT 10-Day Forecast for Albuquerque, NM
10-Day Forecast

Today
Feb 28 Mostly Sunny 65°
Fri
Feb 29 Sunny 66°
Sat
Mar 01 Sunny 70°
Sun
Mar 02 Partly Cloudy 57°
Mon
Mar 03 Mostly Sunny 54°
Tue
Mar 04 Sunny 59°
Wed
Mar 05 Partly Cloudy 55°
Thu
Mar 06 Partly Cloudy 58°
Fri
Mar 07 Rain / Snow Showers 49° 60 %
Sat
Mar 08 Few Showers 60°
Last Updated Feb 28 08:04 a.m. MT

Yes, I saw it to be 70 degrees on Saturday too. Argh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque