Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 03:50 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,713,816 times

Advertisements

Since it is supposed to be a high temperature of three (yes 3) degrees F here in the Milwaukee area on Sunday (with wind chills of 35 below 0 on Sunday night) and we received between 12 and 21 inches of snow - in one snowfall - on this past Wednesday, I sit here with many fond images of my old hometown, Albuquerque, in my mind, and miss being there.

In light of our recent "Favorite Month in Albuquerque" thread, I thought I would write some periodic posts coming up highlighting what I love about each and every month in Albuquerque. Frankly, in my opinion, all of the twelve months offer some unique, cool, and neat things in Albuquerque, which just can't be said about many places in the U.S. Thus, I am going to write about them I think. And I invite others to chime in as openly and freely as they would like.

What the heck, since we are currently in February, I am going to start with February:

Albuquerque is great in...February

Most native or longtime Albuquerqueans generally wouldn't point to February as being particularly notable as "standing out" to them as one of their favorite months. And while it might not be one of my favorite months of the year in Albuquerque, it actually offers some really neat things and is a great time in a great place.

>>>WEATHER:
The first thing that strikes me as a native upper Midwesterner (Milwaukee, WI) in February in Albuquerque is that by the end of February, spring is often felt well in the air. It isn't terribly uncommon by the mid-to-end of February to start experiencing some very mild days in the 60s with a strong, warm sun that makes things feel even warmer.

Heck exactly two years ago (2006), there was a stretch at the end of February into early March with some days in the low 70s in ABQ and one night that the temp never dropped below 60; my wife, a friend, and I stayed out late into the night with some wine sitting around our chimenea and only light sweatshirts enjoying the gorgeous New Mexican winter night sky.

While certainly you'll still find plenty of chilly days (highs in the 40s or even an occasional high-30s) and coldish nights (lows in teens, 20s, and 30s) with still definitely frosts and freezes, the mixed in higher quantities towards the end of the month of "spring-like" weather compared to most of the northern US is very heartening.

By the very end of February, some of the early fruit trees (such as the apricots) are already starting to show signs of blooming, which is an underrated neat time in ABQ (when all of the varied trees go into bloom). ABQ outside of the foothills and the valleys is a solid gardening zone climate of "7b" which allows a real neat variety of blooming trees, and some of the early ones of them get going at the tail end of FEB. Oh, and some of the early flowers like daffodils start to come to life at the tail end of February too! (And some patches of grass start to begin the greening up process again too).

February weather in Albuquerque to me is a great mixture of February-winter weather. For those from Florida, the Gulf Coast regions/east Texas, SoCal, the lower desert cities, etc., they'd find it "cold" most days. For those from the northern climates of the US, they'd find it very springlike most days. For Albuquerqueans, it provides a good mixture between ABQ winter and ABQ spring.

>>>RECREATION:
This is REALLY an ideal time to do the whole "ski during the morning, golf in the afternoon" thing in ABQ. Usually the Sandias are doing their best, snow-wise, for snowy, mountain recreation at this time, and even if it is a down year for snow in them, usually the snow in the high country of Santa Fe, Taos, Los Alamos, and far Northern New Mexico (only a short 45 minute-to-4 hour drive away) is doing well in the mountains at that point.

Then, hit a 55 degree sunny afternoon in ABQ and play one of the great local golf courses.

>>>SIGHTS:
The clear, pale blue New Mexican winter skies allow for some gorgeous long views of a white, snowcapped Mt. Taylor 70 miles away. If the Sandias are dusted with snow, the watermelon-colored sunset time has an especially neat pinkish/purplish glow that makes for a gorgeous wintertime 10 or 15 minute sight every night.

There is something very enriching personally walking or running the elevated trail alongside Tramway near the foothills on a chilly February day in Albuquerque with the smell of burning pinon filling the air and looking over the huge, glowing New Mexican sunset over the western edge of the city. The sights in February are unique and special.

>>>THE PIT:
February is the beginning of the heart of the college basketball season. Nowhere better to watch college basketball than college bball-rabid Albuquerque in the venerable Pit. While I hear stories of how great the Pit used to be in the "old days", I tell you what, I attended the UNM - Utah game in Danny Granger's final year (when the Lobos went to the NCAA Tournament) and witnessed one of the most enjoyable, intense live sporting events I have ever attended. The Pit, she was a 'hummin'.

>>>PERSONAL:
I was flown into Albuquerque for my first job interview in the city ever from my then-home - Milwaukee - in February. While I had visited once before (in the preceding August), I remember the sight from the plane of the open high desert surrounding ABQ on the west being dusted with white snow and thinking how beautiful it looked. Of course, none of that snow was in Albuquerque, but the Sandias were beautifully dusted for those two days, creating a beautiful constant sight while I was there.

I remember everyone complaining about how "chilly" and "cold" it was for that stretch I was there and saying "hey, we have Wisconsin weather here for you", however, with it being in the 40s and sunny, I thought "this is so nice compared to February back in WI." Heck, I actually - gasp! - could go outside for 10 minutes or so in February without my coat!

I stayed in the Marriott in Uptown and got great views of the Sandias at night and the nighttime stars and open sky.

I sampled some outstanding post-interview New Mexican margaritas. I ate some awesome green chile bread at the incredible Golden Crown Panaderia (and brought some home with me!).

I remember the most beautiful sunrise over the snow-whipped Sandias on my cab ride back to the ABQ International Sunport. Chatting with me was the very pleasant cabbie. I remember thinking so strongly, "I don't want to go back."

February...she is a great time of the year in Albuquerque.

Oh, and stuff like this (from www.weather.com): (broken link)

10-Day Forecast - ALBUQUERQUE, NM
Tonight
Feb 08 Clear LOW 25°
Sat
Feb 09 Sunny HIGH 53° / LOW 29°
Sun
Feb 10 Sunny HIGH 55° / LOW 30°
Mon
Feb 11 AM Clouds / PM Sun HIGH 54° / LOW 28°
Tue
Feb 12 Sunny HIGH 53° / LOW 25°
Wed
Feb 13 Mostly Sunny HIGH 55° / LOW 32°
Thu
Feb 14 Partly Cloudy HIGH 53° / LOW 26°
Fri
Feb 15 Few Showers HIGH 63° / LOW 32°
Sat
Feb 16 Showers HIGH 57° / LOW 30°
Sun
Feb 17 Partly Cloudy HIGH 59° / LOW 31°

Meanwhile over these next ten days, the highest high for my neck of the woods is 32, and my lowest high is 3. Argh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 04:02 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Question here... in Albuquerque, when do the leaves typically begin to grow on the trees and when do they fall off again for the winter? When does the first and last snow of the year typically occur? In Denver, the leaves don't normally turn green until the very end of April, and start to fall off as early as mid September. Snow can fall any time between September and May. How does Albuquerque compare?

Old 02-08-2008, 04:09 PM

298 posts, read 1,149,402 times
Wonderful! Thank you! The weather sounds perfect. I lived on the Florida Golf Coast for 10 years. I loved the heat, but hated missing Fall & Winter. Ohio is way too cold for me. When we moved to Ohio it was March, and I was shocked (and disappointed) that it was still winter!!!! We will get to ABQ in March. I was going to pack my summer shoes, and bring my winter shoes. However, it sounds like maybe I should leave out a pair of sandals???? I'm looking forward to seeing the blooming trees. That sounds lovely!

Old 02-08-2008, 04:41 PM

710 posts, read 2,962,119 times
The leaves generally start to bud in late March, and the leaves typically don't fall off till early November. However each year is different so you may not see growth till April and leaves shedding by October. Either way you'll get two more months (possibly three) of green compared to Denver. As EnjoyEP has said, (even though he prefers EP) ABQ is pretty tough to beat weatherwise. And finally, while it can be cold in the winter months, generally the sun is shinning so it is not as miserable as many Midwestern and Eastern cities.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:42 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
A great Thread and Post EnjoyEP !!! I'm actually sitting here with my cieling fan on as it is very nice and comfy....

Old 02-08-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Question here... in Albuquerque, when do the leaves typically begin to grow on the trees and when do they fall off again for the winter?
For the leaves, it kind of depends upon the types of trees. However, I would agree largely with finmqa1, leaves you'll usually see the mid (I would say a hare earlier maybe than finmqa1)-to-end of March. HOWEVER, Albuquerque as a 7b gardening zone area can support alot more fruit trees and different types of trees than a zone 5 area like Denver can, it gets a fairly significant amount of blossoms / flowers on trees in late February and early March. Of course, as soon as the flowers come out they are quite beautiful / scenic, and then when they fall off, the leaves come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
When does the first and last snow of the year typically occur? In Denver, the leaves don't normally turn green until the very end of April, and start to fall off as early as mid September. Snow can fall any time between September and May. How does Albuquerque compare?
I always kind of laugh when Denverites try to compare Denver as "having a similar climate to Albuquerque"...(I realize that you aren't doing that vegas). I have a significant amount of my inlaws who live in Denver, and they always act like the weather is similar. Others on these forums sometimes have that misconseption too (more those from CO). However, all Albuquerqueans realize how much different the weather is.

Denver averages about 60 inches of snowfall annually - in the city (eg: obviously far more in the mountains). While that snowfall admittedly often melts off quite quickly in the city - sometimes not - that is still an even greater amount average-wise than high-snow and cold area Milwaukee, WI (where I currently am) averages. That is a lot of snow.

Transversely, Albuquerque averages between 7 and 11 inches of snowfall annually in the city. The only exception are the very wealthy, very limited high altitude areas in the foothills east of Tramway.

For most of the city, unlike Denver, snow is very, very rare and when it does happen, it is like the sky is falling...usually most folks in ABQ don't own a snow shovel, or if they do, they rarely break it out - the sun does the shoveling.

Last year was a record-setting, all-time high snowy year in Albuquerque, and at the end of the day, Albuquerque received roughly 30 inches - an insanely high amount for Albuquerque (which almost never comes close to occuring), yet would be a relatively snow-free year for Denver.

Snow generally happens only from very late November until the middle of March. But again, even then, it is very rare for it to occur and only happens 2 or 4 times a year.

It is night-and-day comparing Albuquerque and Denver in many respects. There are some days in DEC and JAN when Denver will be warmer due to Chinook winds, etc., however, at the end of the day, when in late April there is a 12-inch blizzard in Denver, it'll be 61 in Albuquerque.

As for leaves, they don't start to fall off generally until very late October (I mean really late) to early / mid November. Heck, I have seen roses stay in bloom (EG: without freeze to fall off) in Albuquerque's Northeast Heights until the 20s of November in ABQ. That would never happen in Denver.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelopelp View Post
Wonderful! Thank you! The weather sounds perfect. I lived on the Florida Golf Coast for 10 years. I loved the heat, but hated missing Fall & Winter. Ohio is way too cold for me. When we moved to Ohio it was March, and I was shocked (and disappointed) that it was still winter!!!! We will get to ABQ in March. I was going to pack my summer shoes, and bring my winter shoes. However, it sounds like maybe I should leave out a pair of sandals???? I'm looking forward to seeing the blooming trees. That sounds lovely!
Well, let's see -

compared to Florida Gulf Coast, the weather in Albuquerque in February, March, and heck, even parts of April, will seem cold-to-chilly for you. There will be days in Albuquerque in FEB and MAR where it'll be in the low 40s, the winds will be whipping, and once the sun sets the nights will be downright chilly. It is somewhat unpredictable, depending upon what the HIGH or LOW pressure systems bring.

Compared to Ohio, sometimes the temperatures themselves might not be that much different - truthfully - in these months in Albuquerque. However, one big difference will be the almost ever-present sunshine. The desert, high-altitude sunshine makes things feel 5 or 10 degrees warmer often than the actual temperature.

Many other times, Albuquerque will be much warmer. Look at the 10-day forecast at the end of my original post and compare it to where you are in Ohio. To me, that 10-day forecast for the middle of February is darn-near great.

As for your summer v. winter shoes in March, I would suggest strongly bringing both. In March, you literally can see a 75 to near-80 degree day for a few days in a row, followed up by a winter-like day.

My first March ever in Albuquerque, we had a weekend (Saturday and Sunday) where the high temperatures were in the 70s on Saturday with a strong, bright, warm sun and a Sunday near 80 degrees. This was around the 10th of March. I was wearing shorts and a short-sleeved exercise type running shirt on Sunday it was so warm; actually that Saturday, it was so warm, I purchased a cold-hardy palm tree (the type that grows in Albuquerque) and planted it. Well, Monday of that time a vicious low pressure system rolls through from the northern Rocky Mountains, the temperatures plummet down to 31 degrees during the day and 3.5 inches of snow fall. The next day, the high gets to 42, but the low drops to 18.

The purpose of this story: March can be a varied month in Albuquerque. Overall, much more mild and temperate than the Midwest, and at least that sun is a always shinin', but some days can be cold/chilly and others can be May-esque for most of the Midwest.

Thus...I would bring both kinds of shoes!

The average high for March in Albuquerque is about 63 degrees with a chilly-but-not freezing low of about 41.

Albuquerque CAN be very windy / gusty in portions of March. It is affectionally (or not so much) known in the Albuquerque - El Paso corridor as the Gusty N' Dusty season start. However, these are usually only bouts of a few hours on various, scattered days.

As for the blooming trees, compared to the greenery/blooming ways of Gulf Coast Florida, they might not be anything special. But to me, a native upper Midwesterner, seeing all of the trees in their white, pink, purple, and red blooms from late FEB until early April, it is a thing of beauty, especially in the heart of the traditionally "brown" desert.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finmqa1 View Post
As EnjoyEP has said, (even though he prefers EP) ABQ is pretty tough to beat weatherwise.
Yeah, but you know, to me El Paso is ice cream and Albuquerque is green chile enchiladas! I do admittedy slightly prefer El Paso's weather, because in the winter when highs are 48 in ABQ, they are 62 in El Paso or when highs are 57 in Albuquerque they are 70 in El Paso (and El Paso averages only 2 to 4 inches of snow annually), it is a VERY small difference.

I think Albuquerque's year-round climate is very, very hard to beat. El Paso in my (very humble) opinion DOES beat it, slightly - mostly for the winter - but it isn't a great deal of difference. Albuquerque's summers are nicer and the springs/falls are a toss-up. Both cities average 310+ days of sunshine per year, both average extremely low rainfall/snowfall/humidity averages, and they are both extremely nice year-round.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
A great Thread and Post EnjoyEP !!! I'm actually sitting here with my cieling fan on as it is very nice and comfy....
Thanks mi amigo!

I know you prefer a warmer clime than even ABQ in the winter, however, you could be up here in the Midwest. Good Lord, you would NOT like the temps out here!

You've got your ceiling fan on. Man...here, I have got my furnace AND my space heater just blasting. "Only" 21 degrees as snow is falling (yes again) furiously, however, temps are to plummet tomorrow afternoon to the single-digits with extremely high wind gusts. This, my friend, S*CKS!!!

Old 02-09-2008, 02:47 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
I think Albuquerque's year-round climate is very, very hard to beat. El Paso in my (very humble) opinion DOES beat it, slightly - mostly for the winter - but it isn't a great deal of difference. Albuquerque's summers are nicer and the springs/falls are a toss-up. Both cities average 310+ days of sunshine per year, both average extremely low rainfall/snowfall/humidity averages, and they are both extremely nice year-round.
Thanks EnjoyEP and finmqa1! EnjoyEP, I think you're right. San Diego is arguably the King Kong of weather, except there's little variation there, and it can be quite gloomy and foggy at times. I've lived in Denver and Phoenix-- two opposite extremes. I can tolerate some heat (up to about 100 degrees is fine, occasional days in the low 100s I can deal with as long as it's not day after day) and some cold (30s, 20s aren't too bad if it's sunny), and I actually like having some snow; problem with Denver is when it snows during the coldest months of the year, the snow sticks around for a long time, accumulating in ugly brown slush piles. Some sidewalks never even get plowed. I had no idea ABQ only gets 7-10 inches of snow! I was under the impression it was way more. Guess I was wrong! ABQ sounds like it gets enough snow to appreciate it, but not too much where it's ridiculous. I heard about the storm you guys got last year. Meanwhile, Phoenix's summers are absolutely barbaric. Albuquerque's summers may be a little bit hotter than Denver's, but not that much; Denver can still get plenty hot in the summer. Does Albuquerque get frequent afternoon thunderstorms in the summer like Denver does? Do the summer nights in ABQ cool down a lot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque