Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't really worry about the temps, day or night. The ABQ area is high desert and most years the weather is wonderful. Yes, the days can be warm but the nights are cool. Many people are quite happy without A/C. People are starting to put in A/C, still many homes depend on a good quality swamp cooler.

One more thing, Bosque Farms will have Cyotes just not a lot of other wild life.
Good luck, enjoy your searching for a new home. NM has a lot to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 01:19 AM

511 posts, read 625,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post

One last thing- if you're planning on working in the city anyway, does it really matter what the daytime weather is like? Nighttime is when most people enjoy their homes.
My husband will be working in the city, but I will likely work from home, and if I do work away from home, it will be evenings.

Ah..your comment has reminded me of something that caught my attention. When I look for houses and property on Realtor.com in the ABQ area, esp on an acres or more, I've noticed quite a few homes have what these outdoor-like extensions of the house with built-in barbeques, fireplaces, and I even saw some speakers mounted up in the corners of the outdoor patio. Is it the custom for people to spend a lot of time outdoors recreating, or was it just chance that I ended up on homes with large outdoor patios? The outdoor extensions are something I've never seen in architecture before.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I wouldn't really worry about the temps, day or night. The ABQ area is high desert and most years the weather is wonderful. Yes, the days can be warm but the nights are cool. Many people are quite happy without A/C. People are starting to put in A/C, still many homes depend on a good quality swamp cooler.

One more thing, Bosque Farms will have Cyotes just not a lot of other wild life.
Good luck, enjoy your searching for a new home. NM has a lot to offer.
Thank you! The more I explore, the more I find interesting and intriguing, a new kind of beauty I hadn't seen before. I've read about these swamp coolers in other threads, and I envisioned an alligator swimming around in some wading pool. I know, I know, it's nothing like that, but it's things like this that sound so exotic that is such a draw. Anyway, from what I've read online, a swamp cooler sounds just like what I'll want to invest in if the house we buy doesn't have one already.

OK, I keep hearing about these "warm" days, and from my research, it looks like June and July are the "warm" months, where it seems it's in 90s almost every day for those two months, and the nights are in the 60s. Is this about right...only about 2 months of 90s+ usually?

Also, does it get humid when the monsoon rains come in the summer, or is it just humid for the short time it rains, and then the air dries out again?

Old 10-30-2016, 08:02 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
Anyway, from what I've read online, a swamp cooler sounds just like what I'll want to invest in if the house we buy doesn't have one already.
Chances are the home you buy will most likely have a cooling system.

Two large threads on the discussion:
Swamp Coolers vs. Refrigerated Air
Swamp Cooler Operation

Old 10-31-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Chances are the home you buy will most likely have a cooling system.

Two large threads on the discussion:
Swamp Coolers vs. Refrigerated Air
Swamp Cooler Operation
Fantastic threads...I also looked up "swamp coolers Albuquerque" and came up with many different threads with swamp coolers in them, but most of the threads were from people asking similar questions as I've been about moving to the Southwest and NM - weather, animals, what to expect, and then some. Great info!

Old 11-14-2016, 06:53 AM

22 posts, read 29,723 times
Algiz,

The wifey and I took off Saturday morning and headed South to see what we could find. This was our first trip South since moving here in April. First thing we ran across was this mess where I-25 and I-40 meet. I happen to glance at the GPS and was like, "WTH"!

We headed South on I-25, then got off on 47 through Bosque Farms, Peralta, into Valencia, and took a detour in to Los Lunas. This is just my opinion, but we weren't impressed with the area. Lots of farming going on, since it's near the river, but both of us prefer the mountains to the river bottom. Los Lunas and Belen have most every store you could want, including some chain restaurants near I-25.

Next up on the list was Mountainaire, that sounds like a nice place, let's go check that out. WRONG..... there was NOTHING there. I had wrongly assumed that "Mountainaire" would be in the Mountains, and yes it is up around 7,000 feet, but the town was dead. I didn't see one open store, the only gas station had closed years ago, based on the $4.99 per gallon price still up on the sign. I didn't see one restaurant open. It was really quite sad, not what I was expecting.

Willard, Estancia, and the other towns we're pretty much the same. If you're looking for repressed, farm land, this might be the place for you, but it's not our cup of tea.

We headed North to Tijeras, and further North on 14 (the turquoise trail), had a great hamburger at Burger Boy in Cedar Crest, (Highly recommend anyone stop there if in the area). We looked at a couple of houses I found on Realtor web site, but nothing jumped out at us. I don't think our needs/wants are much different from yours, we're looking for some land also, and need room for our horses. My goal is to get off grid as much as possible, grow most of our own food, have a cow, chickens, you know, homestead type stuff. I just didn't find what I was looking for South of town.

Good luck in your search.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeff35 View Post
The wifey and I took off Saturday morning and headed South to see what we could find. This was our first trip South since moving here in April. First thing we ran across was this mess where I-25 and I-40 meet. I happen to glance at the GPS and was like, "WTH"!
Just follow the signs to where you want to go...

My wife could have used the interstate to get to work for 10+ years, but preferred more scenic routes... Same with me...

Put a 35 inch screen on that little box:

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-14-2016 at 08:58 AM..

Old 11-14-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeff35 View Post
Algiz,

We headed South on I-25, then got off on 47 through Bosque Farms, Peralta, into Valencia, and took a detour in to Los Lunas. This is just my opinion, but we weren't impressed with the area. Lots of farming going on, since it's near the river, but both of us prefer the mountains to the river bottom. Los Lunas and Belen have most every store you could want, including some chain restaurants near I-25.

Next up on the list was Mountainaire, that sounds like a nice place, let's go check that out. WRONG..... there was NOTHING there. I had wrongly assumed that "Mountainaire" would be in the Mountains, and yes it is up around 7,000 feet, but the town was dead. I didn't see one open store, the only gas station had closed years ago, based on the $4.99 per gallon price still up on the sign. I didn't see one restaurant open. It was really quite sad, not what I was expecting.

Willard, Estancia, and the other towns we're pretty much the same. If you're looking for repressed, farm land, this might be the place for you, but it's not our cup of tea.

We headed North to Tijeras, and further North on 14 (the turquoise trail), had a great hamburger at Burger Boy in Cedar Crest, (Highly recommend anyone stop there if in the area). We looked at a couple of houses I found on Realtor web site, but nothing jumped out at us. I don't think our needs/wants are much different from yours, we're looking for some land also, and need room for our horses. My goal is to get off grid as much as possible, grow most of our own food, have a cow, chickens, you know, homestead type stuff. I just didn't find what I was looking for South of town.

Good luck in your search.
OMG, Jeff, that is one cluster of a mess on your GPS! You obviously navigated it well enough given your return to c-d to report your findings.

You know, although Bosque Farms looks interesting to me, I am pulled north and east, like close to Tijeras along 14. I appreciate your descriptions because I'll be able to check things off and focus on the north and east. Thanks for posting your findings, really, thanks! I keep looking around Placitas when I go to zillow and realtor.com. It's where I keep ending up. If you go up thataway again, I'd LOVE to hear what you find. It seems close enough to the city to be able to shop and drive in relatively easily, but what things look like on a map can be very different from RL.

I'm thoroughly enchanted with the pueblo architecture, although my husband doesn't know how our furniture will fit the interior as we have a lot of rosewood and teak and lean toward rather elegant design. In all the pueblo homes I've seen on zillow, I've yet to see a grand piano! I say we'll do what we want, who cares! Are you looking at the pueblo homes, or do you prefer stick-built?

If you're thinking of growing your own food, I highly recommend the Albuquerque Master Gardeners. Albuquerque Master Gardeners, Albuquerque gardening information I've already had a little dialogue with a couple of the members, and they were incredibly helpful in telling me about soil quality and the unique growing needs of the area. Apparently, soil differs quite a bit depending on your location, so by knowing your soil and amending it with anything it lacks, you can grow pretty much everything in and around ABQ. I grow almost all the vegetables and fruit we eat now only buying toward the end of winter and early spring, so it's important to me to be able to grow food. I was worried about water, but there again, you learn the unique requirements of ABQ and its environs, and you're good, according to the Master Gardeners.

I hope you find the right place soon. Having your own land is such a good feeling - knowing you are self-sufficient is the best.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
I keep looking around Placitas when I go to zillow and realtor.com. It's where I keep ending up. If you go up thataway again, I'd LOVE to hear what you find. It seems close enough to the city to be able to shop and drive in relatively easily, but what things look like on a map can be very different from RL.
You really need to actually drive down some of the streets in Placitas. It is completely different than Bosque Farms and Tijeras. You might look through this thread: Photos of Placitas, NM

Old 11-14-2016, 05:11 PM

22 posts, read 29,723 times
I think posting links is frowned upon here, but go to Realtor . com and search for UPC Code: 1026075033082

5 acres, flat, on top of a ridge, 360 views, no restrictions on what can be built. 90% of the houses around it are really nice. There are some "questionable" ones in the area, but not close. Drilling a well is likely to cost $20k, you're looking at 400 - 500 feet. We've looked at it several times and talked to the realtor. My wife loves it, but I'm not sold on it.

Take a look, one of the last big parcels in the area around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque