Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:19 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times

Advertisements

After hours of soul searching last weekend, with the help of EnjoyEP, ABQSunseeker, and several other friendly posters on the Santa Fe forum, I think I owe it to myself to at least give Albuquerque a serious consideration-- more than just "talk." I'm going to take another trip there later this month, this time as my destination-- not passing through on the way to Arizona. Right now I'm studying in an intensive one-year program to become an accountant, and the recruiting process actually starts next month, almost a year in advance from when I'll actually be working. I think I owe it to myself to at least apply to several of the accounting firms in Albuquerque that I've identified an interest in. Part of my philosophy is that a city is only as good as the neighborhood you live in. When I come out there in a few weeks, I want to scope out areas that I'd be interested in living in. I'm not apartment hunting as of this point in time, as it could be almost a year before I actually move in, but I might take down some notes if I see an apartment complex in a good area I'd be interested in. And yes, I'll be renting an apartment-- either a 1 bedroom/studio or splitting a 2 bedroom with a roommate.

These are my priorities when it comes to finding a place to live:

#1: Safety. I understand that in Albuquerque (and every city, I'm not picking on Albuquerque here) crime can happen all over the place. But if according to crime maps there's an area of town that is dramatically safer, statistically, than some other areas, I want the safest areas (low violent crime and low property crime) I can get. This priority takes precedence over all other factors.

#2: Bicycle friendly. No, I don't plan on bike commuting, but I want a place that's very convenient to bicycling recreationally. It doesn't have to necessarily be next to bike paths, although that would be a major plus. What I do require though are the presence of lower traffic neighborhood and collector streets (these are typically located on the 1/2 and 1/4 miles of the "grid") nearby that have small, convenient intersections with traffic lights to get across major streets. Being in a location convenient to recreational bicycling will go a long, long way to improving my quality of life. So I'd put this number two.

#3: Convenient location to major business centers. I'll be starting off in auditing, which means most likely I'll be travelling all over the place to clients' workplaces all over town. That's the reason why I put this as #3 rather than second, because I will mostly likely be getting new assignments all over the place. In terms of the actual office I'd be based out of, I've looked up where the office are located of the firms I'm interested in, and the most likely place I'd be working would be ABQ Uptown. Second most likely would be one of the business parks in the north I-25 corridor. A third possibility would be downtown Albuquerque. So if there are plenty of places that meet conditions 1 and 2, then this one takes the next level of priority.

#4: All things being equal, I'd rather live in an area that is already built out with mature vegetation, a unique assortment of mom and pop businesses in nearby strip malls (I'm a fan of "cool" strip malls loaded with gems), and close to neighborhoods I can take walks through and bicycle through where individual homeowners have customized their houses and landscaping a bit so it doesn't look all "cookie cutter." Not necessarily "OLD old," just old enough to have mature trees. I like trees. I'm assuming #4 kind of goes hand in hand with #2 and #3. But I will gladly sacrifice this request IF it means I could be living in a much safer part of town. I'm not saying or implying that I can't have my cake AND eat it too; just that if I had to choose one or the other, I'd rather live in a brand new cookie cutter area that was safer (statistically) than an older, mature, more interesting area that's high crime. Hopefully there's an area that meets 1, 2, 3, and 4.

What I'm NOT looking for:
--Nob Hill. It's a cool area, but I can always drive down or bicycle to take a bus there whenever I feel like it. I don't need to live right where the action is.
--Downtown. Nothing against Albuquerque's downtown, but I'm just not a downtown kind of guy. I'd rather live in a "garden style" apartment complex in the suburbs.

I want to hear your suggestions. This will help me focus which areas to explore when I come down in a few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 11:28 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,715,827 times
I *waaaaasssss* going to put Nob Hill on this list, but then vegas, you had to go squash that idea!!

Anyway, here was my wife/my favorite part of ABQ - by far - for us for living when we first moved there in our mid/late 20s not too darn long ago:

Zip 87111. Namely, in the Overlook Apartments area (Eubank Blvd. and Academy Blvd. intersection roughly).

Semi-of-a-more suburban feel than the Nob Hill area, but not really. Very safe, yet not hoity-toity rich. Close to the Sandias - incredible views. Nice parks within walking distance. A few cool bars (Horse N Angel / Barley Room) in walking distance along with tons of grocery stores, convenience stores, etc.

Go ye, lad, to the area I am hereby describing and ye shant be disappointed!!! I assure you.

Otherwise, check out some rentals around the ABQ Uptown development, in, (logically), the Uptown area of ABQ. The ABQ Uptown development is at roughly the intersection of Menaul and Louisiana...just a hare south.

Finally, there is an apartment complex - the Pinnacles (spelling??? - old computer w/o spell check) - right up in the foothills of the Sandias just east of Tramway and just north of Montgomery Blvd. Unbelievable scenery / surroundings. Would be decent to look at.

All of my 3 recommendations wouldn't be more than 15 miles from Downtown ABQ. All would be safe and very, very bike friendly.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:50 PM

710 posts, read 2,962,441 times
I would recommend the Sandia Heights, Far NE Heights, Academy, and Uptown areas. I love the Westside but I definitely think this area will suit you best with convenient access to most areas of the city by bike, car, or public transportation.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:06 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,049 times
Well, I'd look into somewhere near Uptown.

There's also Mesa del Sol, where Fidelity is opening an office (not sure about accounting positions). But they don't have any houses built out there yet, though they might by the time you're ready to move.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:41 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
I dont think you would like living downtown at night, lots of wild drunk kids,weirdos and homeless on the streets, I went downtown to party this past weekend and I was surprised at the mix of people there.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:37 AM

309 posts, read 1,026,113 times
On the opposite note, what are some areas to avoid? My wife and I are driving to ABQ next weekend (Aug 14th actually) to look around.

Last edited by dpgtfc; 08-05-2008 at 09:44 AM..

Old 08-05-2008, 09:11 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,963,094 times
I second finmqa's suggestions, Sandia Hts, Far NE Hts, Academy, and Uptown. I would add Glenwood Hills, the Foothills generally, and depending on your budget, High Desert.
There is a wonderful 13 mile bike path along Tramway Blvd that runs through or along some of these areas. There are other bike paths as well.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:20 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
I second finmqa's suggestions, Sandia Hts, Far NE Hts, Academy, and Uptown. I would add Glenwood Hills, the Foothills generally, and depending on your budget, High Desert.
There is a wonderful 13 mile bike path along Tramway Blvd that runs through or along some of these areas. There are other bike paths as well.

x3

Old 08-05-2008, 12:59 PM

19 posts, read 61,348 times
Areas to avoid? Let me count the places:

South Valley, anywhere south of I-40 and west of Coors, anywhere near the Fairgrounds (Lomas and Louisiana; Central and San Pedro); I think my fellow Burquenos got it right: stick to Uptown, Far NE Heights, Nob Hill, the Foothills, and at reasonable hours: the cool and up and coming art area just west of downtown, and east of Old Town -- the Mountain Road area -- wonderful art galleries!

Old 08-05-2008, 01:43 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,889 times
You can't simply bisect the city with I-40. It is not accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque