Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 10:49 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Dust and Sand Problems... Rio Rancho used to have them, the development took care of that, It reminded me of Las Vegas Nevada too haha.
When I was here in the 60's, I remember watching the dust blow across ABQ. I can still see it from Rio Rancho and Bernalillio.

I have not done a scientific dust study, but my house in RR collects as much dust as my house in ABQ (near Coronado Mall)...

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 07:01 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
When I was here in the 60's, I remember watching the dust blow across ABQ. I can still see it from Rio Rancho and Bernalillio.

I have not done a scientific dust study, but my house in RR collects as much dust as my house in ABQ (near Coronado Mall)...

Rich
Well you think you have Dust and Sand, I live in Ventana Ranch, and oh boy.. we used to get hammered, my grass struggled for awhile, thats not the case anymore. Thanks to Pulte and Dr Horton they are building more houses out here.. which is calming the problem.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:08 PM

67 posts, read 199,514 times
Thanks....I'm not a worrier but RR is a new city that I don't know much about and I have to move there. I love other areas i've been to in NM so I'm sure I'll love it as well. Has anyone driven by the City Centre lately? Has HP started their building?

Old 01-30-2009, 08:58 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainy View Post
Thanks....I'm not a worrier but RR is a new city that I don't know much about and I have to move there. I love other areas i've been to in NM so I'm sure I'll love it as well. Has anyone driven by the City Centre lately? Has HP started their building?
They are just beginning the site work for their building.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:04 PM

8 posts, read 28,107 times
When I first came to ABQ in search of housing, I had a number of people and a couple real estate agents heavily pushing for RR. So I made a few appointments and went up there. I knew within minutes of crossing the city line that there is no way I could ever live there. While some of the older sections are *ok* meaning not completely horrifying, they are surrounded and dwarfed by the ugliest and most generic of tract housing. It reminded me of a poor-man's Orange County. The place is completely devoid of soul. I told one of my real estate agents that we need to be near shops and restaurants and he started telling me where the nearest Wal-Marts and Applebee's were. So if those places are your idea of a good time, RR is for you. Not my speed. I wound up taking a place just north of UNM and I absolutely love it here. It's quiet and suburban but I am just a couple minute drive or 15 minute walk to Central Ave, with all it's cool shopping, brousing and restaurants. And anyone who tells you that this area is dangerous is fooling themselves. I've lived in Chicago, Oakland, and Southern Florida. I KNOW dangerous. It's beautiful here and has tons of old growth trees to help keep down the wind, dust and heat during the spring/summer.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:47 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,469,422 times
Well, I checked out the belly of the beast this past week. Yup. I drove ALL the way into the 'city center.' I checked out the ground breaking of HP and the Star Center. What a joke. It is in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by miles of nothing.

What gets me is that due to our horses and the commute time to HP, our house hunting is extremely limited. We did see an apparent bargain in Placitas next to BLM land.

Anyone know what's up with the college campuses?

Old 02-02-2009, 08:03 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
Well, I checked out the belly of the beast this past week. Yup. I drove ALL the way into the 'city center.' I checked out the ground breaking of HP and the Star Center. What a joke. It is in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by miles of nothing.
What was a joke?

The hole in the ground for the foundation of HP? That's the way they build buildings here in Neuvo Mexico (hopefully). They dig a hole, and start filling it with 'building putty'

The Star Center? It's done, been done for a year or two, events going on, Rodeo there last Friday And Saturday. Here it was in June 2007:

Here is the Star Center in March 2008, we all had lots of fun!

One of my Grandaughters will be singing at the Star Center next month. I guess I'm going to have to drive that whole 9.5 miles to get there....

If you think the Star Center is in the is in the middle of nowhere, you might reconsider New Mexico, the driest state in the Union, the 5th largest state, and about number 38 in population. We only got about 2,000,000 people in the whole state.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-02-2009 at 09:08 AM..

Old 02-02-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:

What gets me is that due to our horses and the commute time to HP, our house hunting is extremely limited. We did see an apparent bargain in Placitas next to BLM land.

Anyone know what's up with the college campuses?
Oh come on. The middle of nowhere. LMAO

Its not miles from anything. I live in Northern Meadows and can be at Cottonwood Mall in 15 minutes...yep its the middle of nowhere.

You would of hated where I grew up back east. A town of 600 people, an hour to the closest city (which btw has a huge population of 32,000), 35 minutes just to go grocery shopping, and the only store in town was not open on Sundays.
Yep, RR is out in the middle of nowhere.

BTW, what is the difference, milage wise, between RR and Placitas? Oh wait, I forgot....I25.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:59 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,469,422 times
I don't know where Northern Meadows is and I believe Cottonwood is on the westside?
But have you driven out to the Star Center?

It's joke because there is nothing out there! I would love to live in the East Mountains, but it's too damn far!

Of course, I just googled an address in Placitas I was looking at and it came to 17 miles and 40 minutes! And that's prolly on a good day.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I don't know where Northern Meadows is and I believe Cottonwood is on the westside?
But have you driven out to the Star Center?

It's joke because there is nothing out there! I would love to live in the East Mountains, but it's too damn far!

Of course, I just googled an address in Placitas I was looking at and it came to 17 miles and 40 minutes! And that's prolly on a good day.
I know where the Star Center is. I live about 3 miles west of there. Went to a rodeo there Sat. night.
Love it out here, go up the street a short distance and I can drive out all over the desert for miles.

17 miles in 40 minutes? Good grief, are you driving at 10 mph? LOL.
My husband drives to Osuna Rd every day to work, takes him 40 minutes on a bad day.

Traffic here is NOT bad, I don't understand why people say it is. (Maybe they haven't been anywhere else). Anywho, back in Maine, he drove 51 miles one way to work. I guess we are just used to living in the middle of nowhere.

I'd love to live in Grants or Gilman but its too far from his work. Now that is the middle of nowhere.

Have you looked into Rio Grande Blvd? Some horse properties for sale there. Or maybe Corrales?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque