Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 03:13 PM

152 posts, read 319,518 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I would love for the 790 Blue Line to go to Rio Rancho. I hope that if they do extend the Blue
Line, they extend it to the New Downtown Area of Rio Rancho, so that there would be a bus serving the Santa Ana Star Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 03:30 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
I'm curious where the stops will be located for the 155. Since the 155 is a local route, I would think there would be more stops than there are for the 151. On Coors, even the 96 makes all stops rather than only the major stops.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:51 PM

I've never taken the 151 into Rio Rancho, so I don't know exactly where it stops in Rio Rancho, but I would guess that the 155 will have about 10-12 stops on Southern, since it's about 2.3 miles between 528 and Unser, and likely 6-9 more on 528 since it's about 1.65 miles between Southern and the Bernalillo/Sandoval County Line.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan M View Post
I've never taken the 151 into Rio Rancho, so I don't know exactly where it stops in Rio Rancho, but I would guess that the 155 will have about 10-12 stops on Southern, since it's about 2.3 miles between 528 and Unser, and likely 6-9 more on 528 since it's about 1.65 miles between Southern and the Bernalillo/Sandoval County Line.
The stops for the 151 in Rio Rancho include Intel, former City Hall (Southern and 39th), the Esther Bone Library, and Wal-Mart (Southern and Unser), though only a few runs serve the Wal-Mart station.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:21 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
It's sort-of like what will happen to the Rail Runner as they
add more and more stops. It will become less and less useful.
I realize this post is from July, but just noticed it. Doesn't quite work this way. By that logic, two stops, one in Belen, and one in Santa Fe, would be more useful than the current setup. Certainly, you can have too many stops, but for every stop you add, you add riders who find the stop useful as a source/destination.

I predict the Montaño station, when and if it is finished, will dramatically improve ridership on the system.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:21 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg
By that logic, two stops, one in Belen, and one in Santa Fe, would be more useful than the current setup.
I was referring to it's utility as a commuting vehicle to Santa Fe and the adding of stops at every reservation North of Bernalillo.

You might pick up a rider or two by stopping in San Felipe and Santo Domingo,
but discourage five riders who used to get on downtown so that they drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg
I predict the Montaño station, when and if it is finished, will dramatically improve ridership on the system.
That is a logical stop. OTOH, your definition of "dramatically" might be different than mine.
$5/gallon gasoline? At that time, you'll see "dramatic" ...

However, it does "work that way" in that at some point, adding stops reaches a point of diminishing returns.
Picture ten additional stops between Bernalillo and Santa Fe; the additional twenty or minutes of commute time
would turn off many riders and make it miserable for those who really want to support the train or save money.
Stopping the train is also not free. You lose a tremendous amount of energy doing that.

In nature, economics, etc. lots of things work that way. More of a good thing isn't "good" any more.

Last edited by mortimer; 09-21-2010 at 05:34 PM..

Old 09-22-2010, 12:54 PM

366 posts, read 869,370 times
The real problem it that it is already too slow so each additional stop anywhere on the track just makes it worse. I took the train two weekends ago and it was nice and relaxing, fairly empty, but slow. It costs more than gas for two people (one person it would be cheaper), it takes long, you have to schedule around the train and you won't have a car when you get to the destination (could be good or bad depending on what you are trying to do).

They need to speed up the rural sections, I'm thinking 120+ if not higher, then they can add more stops and it wouldn't matter because you could still go further faster. I think that would provide a lot more flexibility in the scheduling as well.

And what happened to all the economic development that was suppose to occur at the rail stations? I was picturing mixed use 3 or 4 story buildings at the Journal Center stop, maybe at least a decent tourist trap at the pueblos. Shops or high density living quarters around all the stops...Instead it looks like the only place that has anything is the Railyards in Santa Fe.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:18 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralthor
And what happened to all the economic development
that was suppose to occur at the rail stations?
To be fair, the line basically opened right at the time the stock market
crashed and the housing market crashed. New housing starts are
probably to a level that they have not seen since the 1940's when
the population was half of what it is today.

I'm not justifying the Santa Fe expansion, but just being fair ...

Old 10-04-2010, 07:41 PM

Default New ABQ RIDE bus order may be underway

According to this link from the FTA website:
Federal Transit Administration - State of Good Repair Project Descriptions

It looks like the FTA has approved a grant request for money for transit bus replacement. Walter Jaramillo (the city's bus purchaser) told me that the grants should arrive by December. I'm guessing the grants will be used to purchase new buses, probably to replace the aging 300-series buses. If they are delivered next year, I think they would be numbered the 1100s.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:23 PM

That's good news. Although the 300 series buses are still okay for the most part, I think, I also think that it's always good to get new buses. I'm hoping that ABQ Ride will use the new buses in addition to the 300 series buses as long as the 300 buses are still running well, since the current fleet is less than 200 vehicles, which I definitely think should increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque