Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 11:18 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
I just spoke to 2 of my wife's cousins that live in East Mountain and they said there is no problem with crime there.
I would never say "there is no problem with crime there".

East Mountain murder cases remain officially unsolved

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 03:36 PM

823 posts, read 3,689,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I would never say "there is no problem with crime there".

East Mountain murder cases remain officially unsolved

Rich
They didn't live there in April.

No place can be guaranteed to be crime free but there is a big difference between a heavy crime area and one that has occassional incidents.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:58 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,889 times
Grew-up in SE ABQ: Smashed window of car parked on street, stereo stolen. Gas syphoned from gas tank (different incident)

Moved to East Mountains for high school: house broken into, hay stolen from barn (pretty shocking)

Lived in Houston: Bicycle stolen from front porch broad daylight.

Back in ABQ NE Heights: nothing yet...

Friend in Rio Rancho: Caps stolen from rims... minor.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:21 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,937,571 times
Ironically, the only time I've ever been a burglary victim was when I was living with my family in a "very nice" semi-rural suburb of Philadelphia, with an admirably low crime rate. I have lived in at least a couple buildings in which apartments were burglarized while I lived there, but have been lucky.

I've mentioned this before but I think it's a really advantage that my current building has some elderly residents who are home most of the time and who are always keeping an eye on things.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:30 PM

995 posts, read 2,728,297 times
Either which way, my airline tickets have been purchased and I can only expect good things happening for me and the fam. In the end life is what you make of it.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:19 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
I just spoke to 2 of my wife's cousins that live in East Mountain and they said there is no problem with crime there.

my boss lives out in the middle of nowhere in the east mountains and had his place broken into last year, they stole his guns.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:51 AM

908 posts, read 2,853,959 times
OP: while I don't meet your definition (having grown up in Santa Fe), I spent quite a few years in Connecticut and Northern Virginia before settling back in Albuquerque. I feel it's important to mention that I was in some of the richest counties (per capita) in America, so it's not exactly apples to apples, but I read your question like you were fishing for fairly subjective opinions.

The first thing I dislike about Albuquerque is the lack of investment and care for things in the 'commons'. I'm talking everything from parks/recreation to paths/right of ways, bus stops and venues. Our infrastructure sees a fraction of what infrastructure out east sees, and yet every time you get into an elevator, or sit in a seat at a venue, or use a restroom there's always some indication of a complete lack of respect for the commons. You go into a restroom in a retail establishment and it's always like you stepped into the maintenance section where the public isn't supposed to venture. It's like being in a town run by kids. And yes, you can repair and paint, but it's obvious where that's done, and it still leaves the impression that people don't give a crap.

It's so deep seated in the culture that even local chain businesses eventually fall into this sort of daze about it. So many times I've walked into a local national chain store and thought: "I'm guessing it's been awhile since anyone at corporate has been here. I'm in the (fill in the name of a chain store) that time forgot.". I think the chain stores stick out because you can make such a direct comparison. You can think to yourself: "You know, I've been in Subway's in ten different states in who knows how many cities and this obviously the saddest one I've ever stepped in to.".

And it's not just the vandalism. It's the loitering. It's the trash. It's the carts shoved into everyone's cars like the walk to the cart corral two spaces down was gonna kill you even though you just walked an hour through China-mart filling your cart to capacity with crap you're gonna throw out in six months. It's the speeding through neighborhoods and blatantly running stop signs. It's the booming bass rolling out of cars at all hours of the night.

I've got two young daughters. I've hit about every park in this town and it never ceases to amaze me what people are willing to do to even the nicest, newest equipment. Here's an example from a couple days ago, at a park on the much lauded "NE" side:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I took the pics hoping the city still tracks individual taggers so they can add this one to the bill. I don't know what's more galling, that you'd be willing to do something like that, or that you'd be willing to sign your masterpiece afterwards. Here's another recent example. It's damage, not tagging but how long has this been like this?:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I was at a drive through ATM at a Wells Fargo. Someone tagged the ATM machine. I went inside to notify the person at the customer service desk and pointed out that if they check right away, they probably have video of the vehicle. They could get make, model, maybe a plate and who knows...maybe a face... all connected to this tag to hand over to APD. They just looked at me like I was crazy and finally said: "Oh, they hit that thing all the time.". Oh, well that makes it OK then.

The second thing I dislike coming from out east is the lack of enough police presence to keep down the petty crime. The best deterrent for vandalism, petty crimes and the late night dealing in the parks is regular, random patrols. Something our undermanned, overworked force could never hope to provide. Our guys are busting their butts running from one incident to the next all shift long.

My two cents.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:31 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,863 times
Minor things that bug me about the Abq area:
* Sleeziness of the Downtown area. (That area has so much positive potential that isn't being tapped).
* Abundance of billboards
* Lack of concern for the low-achieving and poorly-managed APS, which discourages some potential companies from relocating here.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:00 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
I haven't experienced the wind, yet. Luckily, I experienced some wind in Iceland that put my previous evil wind knowledge (CoS) to shame. Let's hope it stays that way after spring!
It gets like Keflavik out in the E. Mtns towards Moriarty. Albuquerque is not at all as windy as Kef.

I live out in the E Mtns and frequently retrieve my plastic lawn furniture from the fenceline.

Still not as windy as Kef though - I have yet to see a dumpster roll by.

I don't like all of the tagging.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:30 AM

995 posts, read 2,728,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaAirmac View Post
OP: The first thing I dislike about Albuquerque is the lack of investment and care for things in the 'commons'. I'm talking everything from parks/recreation to paths/right of ways, bus stops and venues. Our infrastructure sees a fraction of what infrastructure out east sees, and yet every time you get into an elevator, or sit in a seat at a venue, or use a restroom there's always some indication of a complete lack of respect for the commons. You go into a restroom in a retail establishment and it's always like you stepped into the maintenance section where the public isn't supposed to venture. It's like being in a town run by kids. And yes, you can repair and paint, but it's obvious where that's done, and it still leaves the impression that people don't give a crap.

The second thing I dislike coming from out east is the lack of enough police presence to keep down the petty crime. The best deterrent for vandalism, petty crimes and the late night dealing in the parks is regular, random patrols. Something our undermanned, overworked force could never hope to provide. Our guys are busting their butts running from one incident to the next all shift long.

My two cents.
What you are discribing was no different to what I grew up with in Sunset Park Brooklyn. Honestly, I doubt a major city with a population of over 500k could be as better. None of the major cities on the eastern seaboard could bat an eyelash. I look at it this way, from what you discribed, if ABQ can get these sort of things taken care of, it will only better the lives of those who current live there, and start attracting bigger businesses and more affluent families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque