Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 09:52 AM

5,034 posts, read 7,417,088 times

Advertisements

Thanks, bongo, I'm sure the more dictionaries you check, the more you'll not find the word (and as we all know, dictionaries contain plenty of words that are rarely if ever used or known by most people...I think "miraje" falls into this category).

I agree that I like being close enough to campus to bike there within 20 minutes. No hassle parking! Great weather for year-round biking. But you need a good, strong lock. I had a cable lock that was cut through. Bye-bye bike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 10:00 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU2000 View Post
Thanks all for your info, comments, and spainish lessons
I am going with La Mirage. I will be moving to the area Feb 12th. If anyone would like to buy me a "welcome to our city beer" let me know.
Thanks again for all your help
Excellent! Have a safe trip. You'll be very near a local pub (if you can call it that), Horse and Angel. They have beer, poor service, and sports on the tv; but hey, that's all you really need, right?

Webistes you may find useful when you arrive:

Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

Bike Path Map - City of Albuquerque

Duke City Fix - Life, food, events, and community in Albuquerque, NM

Old 02-02-2010, 11:11 AM

Congratulations, I hope the move works out well for you. I was in your shoes 20 years ago, moved here from back east to take a job at UNM. I guess I liked it enough to stay and now counting down to retirement. Weird to think how much ABQ has changed since then. Relocating is so much easier now with internet and cell phones!

You'll be pretty close to a Whole Foods Market if that appeals to you, at the northwest corner of Academy and Wyoming. I think it's a nice place to grab a bite to eat and sit and enjoy the view of the Sandias from the tables provided at the front of the store. There's a Borders bookstore next to it. If you're a jogger/runner, the Albuquerque Academy has lots of trails to keep you busy, and also the foothills (area east of Tramway Blvd.) are popular with runners and hikers (conditions in winter can be a little soggy). If you ski, snowboard, or snowshoe, the Sandia Peak Tram will take you up to a winter wonderland at Sandia Crest, with lots of free trails for snowshoeing or cross-country skiing outside the Ski Area boundaries, but you need to have your own equipment (or rent from UNM Johnson Center) to start from the upper tram terminal, there are no rentals at the top.

My favorite recommended day-trip for newcomers who want an introduction to New Mexico would be the drive out 550 and Rt. 4 to Jemez Springs (eat at Laughing Lizard or El Ojo grill, see the Jemez State Monument, and a stop at the Walatowa visitor's center at Jemez Pueblo and try some fry bread at the stands across the road). Pick a fairly sunny day so you can appreciate all the colors of the earth between here and there.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:39 AM

6 posts, read 16,366 times
Awesome! Sounds like the Tilted Kilt in Phoenix. Bad food, bad service, and snooty people!

Old 02-02-2010, 02:10 PM

oops, that's Los Ojos Restaurant and Saloon or
Laughing Lizard Cafe

(sorry if I've made too many assumptions about your recreational interests or previous exposure to NM!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque