Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:45 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,223,786 times

Advertisements

I noticed the fireplace smoke this past winter here in ABQ. It seemed worse than previous years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 11:47 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,479,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
I noticed the fireplace smoke this past winter here in ABQ. It seemed worse than previous years.
Think that's true of many places. The combination of the increasing cost of energy and the recession is causing some folks to start burning wood as a cheaper heat source and unfortunately many are using older stoves or fireplaces that are pretty dirty.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:24 PM

71 posts, read 190,961 times
the "young professional" population in albuquerque is non-existent. the whole mentality of keeping albuquerque "small" and resisting growth is what keeps albuquerque and new mexico as a running joke around the US. Albuquerque is a pretty cute place to be but if you are young and have more than a high school diploma, you will be hard pressed to find many like you. Also, not much to do in albuquerque but pretend like you are homeless and do things outside. Not that there is anything wrong with that but if you are looking for anything in terms of real entertainment, you will be disappointed

Old 05-06-2010, 10:20 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,623,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiewalk View Post
the "young professional" population in albuquerque is non-existent. the whole mentality of keeping albuquerque "small" and resisting growth is what keeps albuquerque and new mexico as a running joke around the US. Albuquerque is a pretty cute place to be but if you are young and have more than a high school diploma, you will be hard pressed to find many like you. Also, not much to do in albuquerque but pretend like you are homeless and do things outside. Not that there is anything wrong with that but if you are looking for anything in terms of real entertainment, you will be disappointed

Are you perhaps referring mainly to nightclubs? Because in less than 10 minutes, I found all this:

Rock, county & pop concerts:

Albuquerque Concerts: Albuquerque Concert Tickets and Schedules - Albuquerque Ticket Solutions

Live Theater:

Albuquerque Theatre Guild Releases Their May 2010 Performance Calendar 2010/04/15

Festivals:

Albuquerque Events, Festivals, Things to Do 2010 / 2011: Events in Albuquerque Area, New Mexico NM, USA

Native American Events (Art/Culture):

Legacy Art Albuquerque X

Native Treasures: Indian Arts Festival

Ruidoso Art Festival (this one is in Ruidoso but sounded really cool)

Gallup Inter-Tribal Indian Ceremonial (Gallup)

Santa Fe Cowboys and Indians Showcase

2010 Santa Fe Indian Market

Art Shows:

Home

THE COLLECTOR’S GUIDE: THE FAIREST OF THE ART FAIRS IN ALBUQUERQUE

Food Festivals:

New Mexico Food Festivals, Food Shows, Wine Festivals, Food Events, Expos, etc.

Enjoy!

BOTH cities have things to offer and are great places to live, you just have to figure out which one fits you best.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:08 AM

508 posts, read 1,087,729 times
Quote:
Oh give me a break. I've lived all over the U.S. - most folks simply don't know much about NM and I don't think I've ever heard a disparaging remark from those who are familiar with the state (though I'm not saying they don't exist). Most disparaging remarks I hear come from those who have grown up here and have the "grass is greener" syndrome, and haven't experienced much of anything else. Others come from a complete unfamiliarity, such as "I couldn't live anywhere that hot", or "I hate the desert."

As for "resisting growth" - Albuquerque's government has always been defined by pro-growth policies, which I have my personal qualms with, but won't get into them here. ABQ is far from perfect and I readily admit it's shortcomings - but those of us who love the place are working hard to find solutions, rather than making some random disparaging remarks on the internet.

If you are mature (of mind, not necessarily of age), outdoorsy, and want something a bit different out of life, then New Mexico is an amazing place and Albuquerque is a great city. It isn't the best place for everyone, but there are many of us who are very cognizant of just how special this place can be.

Btw, what exactly is "real entertainment"?

Old 05-07-2010, 01:17 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,992,770 times
Who in their right mind... would wanna.. oops. I better shut up, I live in las Vegas hot hot...

I miss Albuquerque weather!!!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
the "young professional" population in albuquerque is non-existent.
You must not work in Engineering or Design... there are a ton of twenty-somethings in my field.

Even the banking geeks in my building have a group of Millenials/Gen-Xers.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:01 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,385,785 times
You mean that guy passed out in the alley is only pretending to be homeless?!?

Old 05-07-2010, 03:15 PM

Que?

Old 05-07-2010, 03:30 PM

366 posts, read 869,861 times
Quote:
the whole mentality of keeping albuquerque "small" and resisting growth is what keeps albuquerque and new mexico as a running joke around the US.
Well there is the Bugs Bunny joking about missing the turn...Maybe that makes us the joke of the US?

I think 99.9999% of the country could care less about Albuquerque's growth mentality (assuming they have even heard about it).

Pretend to be homeless?? What??? Anyways troll better next time.

That reminds me of the time I was in DFW and I overheard the following conversation...

Hey Mac, whats up with your facial hair its all scraggly?

Ahh Joe, some parts just grow so much faster than others I can't restrict the growth...

Oh man you need to talk to Albuquerque City planners if you want to restrict growth!

OHHHHHHH BURN! HAHAHA

Wait did you hear the one about Albuquerque and the tree.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque