Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 05:45 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times

Advertisements

So I don't drink and never have but I'm having company over this weekend for business and I know that the people enjoy having a beer with a casual, weekend business meeting so does anyone have any suggestions on what type of beer I should pick up for them? I don't really care what the cost is, I just want them to be happy that I even cared to get them it since I don't drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 05:48 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
This one is really hard to pinpoint actually simply because there are so many beers and such a different preferance for each individual. I am prone to a Pale Ale or something imported like Beck's, Heineken with a lime wedge but I will also pick up Michelob Amberbock or get a Miller Lite on tap (very rarely with this one). I'm not much of a drinker either so the mood and occassion have to be perfect for me to even pick up anything with alcohol in it. Then there are others who like O'Douls which is non alcoholic beer, just really hard to say which way to go.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Where you are makes a big difference. Here it would have to be a microbrew, Blue Moon, Fat Tire, Pyramid, Red Hook, Widmer or some imported beers. In a more blue-collar area people still like the stuff we drank as kids that tastes like water, Coors, Budweiser. Make the wrong choice and you will be in for a lot of grief. Maybe have an assortment, or better yet ask a few people what their favorites are and at least a few will be happy.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:40 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Thanks for the advice so far guys. It's just a casual meeting at my condo. The people are very friendly and I just want them to feel welcome.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:55 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
I agree with giving them choices. And where you are makes a difference, as Hemlock140 mentioned. If you are in an area where craft beers are big, for instance, then CSD610's list would not be the best. But he did say he was a non-drinker.

My recommendation is to head to your best liquor store or beer retailer, wherever they sell the good stuff, and ask the beer guy (there's always a "beer guy") for his recommendation.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:58 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Just pick up a few of each of these....then get the good stuff Keystone Light!

Old 09-12-2012, 01:17 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Just pick up a few of each of these....then get the good stuff Keystone Light!
There was a little dive bar on Venice Beach, where I loved to go watch the sunset, and they served Warsteiner on draft, in the correct glass, complete with the small paper drip-catcher around the stem, just as they do in Munich. Impressive. And it was an awesome beer to watch sunsets with.

Proudly displayed was a Warsteiner banner with the following slogan. I memorized it, and I took it to heart, and it has never let me down:
"Life is too short to drink cheap beer!"

Old 09-12-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
There was a little dive bar on Venice Beach, where I loved to go watch the sunset, and they served Warsteiner on draft, in the correct glass, complete with the small paper drip-catcher around the stem, just as they do in Munich. Impressive. And it was an awesome beer to watch sunsets with.

Proudly displayed was a Warsteiner banner with the following slogan. I memorized it, and I took it to heart, and it has never let me down:
"Life is too short to drink cheap beer!"
"There's no accounting for taste!" Not one who tinkers with what is "good enough." I don't need to try all the silly named ones.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:54 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,399,139 times
Hi folks

In case of dark beer l ad the Trapisti Cistercensi monk's dark beer, it's the best in this cruel world, and at the same time you can praise the Lord.
The monks activity started in the xvì century when they were forced to choice what drink between water-milk-or beer, then they did answer ....water cause rusty inside the body....milk is good right to childs.......so nowaday we can relish the best dark beer.
Not sure you can find out it in America, it's comes from Belgium and Holland..almost around that area, since I heard that a guy has found a dead mouse in a can, I always take bottled beer, I do not want run any futile risk.

hope this helps

Old 09-12-2012, 02:06 AM

There's a big hit and miss probability OP unless you have requests for a particular beer. Get some popular brand names and then
grab some of the so-called finer brews. Ask around as stated by others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages