Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 04:44 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,640,877 times

Advertisements

France vs Italy here w/ the wines/grapes. I know Barolo's are pricey & so went to Totalwine here & got a nice $11.99 'Madiran French Domaine du Moulie' red wine. Is this a good deal as it is a S.west France wine, & thus in the Tannat grapes radar growing area. I know they're the BEST France has as far as healthy grapes.

Also, got a Hinnant brand (of USA's North Carolina) Muscadine red (their 'Noble Muscadine') & it is sweeter than I like (as I love dry) yet it is touted well as having Muscadine grapes -- & so has high antioxidant capacity so I hear. Anyone help or comment here, as I'm sure someone else here wants to know this type of info.

Lastly, I bought a 3rd bottle of (Wash. states') Columbia-Crest's 'Two Vines' which is a mix of a few grapes from Washington State (not their Cab or Merlot though in it, as far as I can tell). It is tastiest of all, ironically, despite being only 5.49/750ml bottle. The cheapest of the 3 bottles, that I got, is the best so far in my taste opinion. I'd like hear what any of you think too, that may have tried any of these. Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 11:07 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,482,806 times
Personally I buy wine to enjoy.

Many of the claimed health benefits of different grapes, etc. are overblown, in my estimation, and are made on the basis of flimsy evidence. It's a clever marketing strategy, but I'm unconvinced it is much more than that. Even the claims that increased antioxidants are good for your health are somewhat suspect, and remain largely theoretical. The current situation reminds me of the claims that were made for years that raw fruits and vegetables are healthier for you than cooked because they contain "healthy for you" enzymes that are destroyed by cooking... until the Nobel Prize was won by a biochemist for proving how digestion works, including showing how enzymes are broken down in the digestive system and don't make it into the bloodstream intact. And cooked food, as the prize-winning research showed, is actually healthier than raw, because it makes the nutrients more bioavailable, as well as killing disease causing microorganisms.

My point is that drinking a sweet wine that you don't care for because it supposedly has medicinal qualities turns the normal wine-drinking experience upside down. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Cheers,

Old 12-25-2012, 09:35 AM

24,328 posts, read 13,183,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
France vs Italy here w/ the wines/grapes. I know Barolo's are pricey & so went to Totalwine here & got a nice $11.99 'Madiran French Domaine du Moulie' red wine. Is this a good deal as it is a S.west France wine, & thus in the Tannat grapes radar growing area. I know they're the BEST France has as far as healthy grapes.

Also, got a Hinnant brand (of USA's North Carolina) Muscadine red (their 'Noble Muscadine') & it is sweeter than I like (as I love dry) yet it is touted well as having Muscadine grapes -- & so has high antioxidant capacity so I hear. Anyone help or comment here, as I'm sure someone else here wants to know this type of info.

Lastly, I bought a 3rd bottle of (Wash. states') Columbia-Crest's 'Two Vines' which is a mix of a few grapes from Washington State (not their Cab or Merlot though in it, as far as I can tell). It is tastiest of all, ironically, despite being only 5.49/750ml bottle. The cheapest of the 3 bottles, that I got, is the best so far in my taste opinion. I'd like hear what any of you think too, that may have tried any of these. Thx.
For years the lowly Muscadine has been touted as having more antioxidants than other wines. However, recent studies indicate the ellagic acid may not be as helpful as once thought. The jury's still out, so to speak. Nonetheless, the Muscadine DOES seem to provide more health benefits than vinifera grapes. That and it's a slice of Americana. While a Sonoma/Russian River pinot noir or French burgundy or an Napa cab may be an awesome wine, there's something uniquely fun about muscadine on a porch in the summer.

Tannat is also touted for its reseveratrol. It sure is inky... had a Bending Branch (Texas Hill COuntry) a couple weeks ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages