Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 10:39 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,251 times

Advertisements

For a bourbon on the rocks, a scotch and water, a martini or a gin and tonic, I am almost always going to at least ask what the bar brand is. Unless I am impressed, I am ordering the drink made with a specific brand.

There is a vast difference between cheap gin and decent gin and a pretty significant difference between generic bourbon and scotch and higher end bourbons and scotch.

However, if I am ordering a mixed drink with vodka or rum I am not as worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 07:57 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
Depends on the drink. Classic cocktails like (real) martinis, manhattans, Sazeracs, whiskey sours etc. are improved by call liquors. Overly sweet, sugary drinks like the aforementioned "Jack and Coke" (sorry, I gagged a little just then) are a waste of money. All that sugar kills the subtleties of flavors. I know lots of bartenders who keep their pour costs down by using well liquors in sweet call drinks. Somebody orders Jack and Coke, they're getting Beam and Coke unless they're sitting at the bar and nobody is ever the wiser. Order a strawberrry daquiri and you may not get any rum at all!!
You go to some dodgey places if they do this. ...and any person that is ordering a call because they like the flavor of the brand can tell the difference between a jack and coke and a beam and coke....and in most areas Jim Beam is a call anyway.....though a bit cheaper than jack.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:10 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,085,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
You go to some dodgey places if they do this. ...and any person that is ordering a call because they like the flavor of the brand can tell the difference between a jack and coke and a beam and coke....and in most areas Jim Beam is a call anyway.....though a bit cheaper than jack.
I rarely drink in bars. Tended bar too many years in too many high end establishments. I defy anyone to tell the difference between a call and a well liquor mixed with Coke. One of my idiot friends insists on Grey Goose with his 7-Up. Uh huh...

Old 09-28-2014, 02:19 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
I rarely drink in bars. Tended bar too many years in too many high end establishments. I defy anyone to tell the difference between a call and a well liquor mixed with Coke. One of my idiot friends insists on Grey Goose with his 7-Up. Uh huh...
It's very easy to tell a call whiskey apart...even with coke.....and certainly most bourbons. Jack just tastes way different than CC or VO for example. Gin is another one with different pronounced flavors that differ.

Now vodka....unless it is the very bottom barrel stuff....I agree with you. Even most tequilas unless being drunk as a shot. (PS: You aren't the only fored or current bartender here.)

Old 10-05-2014, 12:17 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,085,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
It's very easy to tell a call whiskey apart...even with coke.....and certainly most bourbons. Jack just tastes way different than CC or VO for example. Gin is another one with different pronounced flavors that differ.

Now vodka....unless it is the very bottom barrel stuff....I agree with you. Even most tequilas unless being drunk as a shot. (PS: You aren't the only fored or current bartender here.)
Absent a F to F blind tasting, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Cheers!

Old 10-08-2014, 02:41 AM

166 posts, read 321,893 times
Quote:
Depends on the drink. Classic cocktails like (real) martinis, manhattans, Sazeracs, whiskey sours etc. are improved by call liquors. Overly sweet, sugary drinks like the aforementioned "Jack and Coke" (sorry, I gagged a little just then) are a waste of money. All that sugar kills the subtleties of flavors. I know lots of bartenders who keep their pour costs down by using well liquors in sweet call drinks. Somebody orders Jack and Coke, they're getting Beam and Coke unless they're sitting at the bar and nobody is ever the wiser. Order a strawberrry daquiri and you may not get any rum at all!!

LOL....Order a frozen Strawberry or any Daquiri= One pissed bartender. Unless. They are the pre-made crap you find in resorts or dive bars.

Now....if the bar isnt 4 deep. I would muddle fresh berries....sugar cube...top shelf rum...and you would get charged out the ass......and love it!!

Old 10-08-2014, 02:45 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
When you are at a bar, do you order "call drinks" (cocktails made with a brand of liquor you specify, i.e., "Jack and Coke")? I don't know about you, but I can't tell tell the difference in flavor between one whiskey, rum, or vodka and other (except for Scotch). And any differences you can detect when drinking the liquor straight will be covered up by the flavors of the other ingredients in the cocktail. It's not worth the money to me!

I do but I rarely order liquor and if I am in the mood for Jack Daniels I never use a dark pop I only use a white pop or a shot followed by my favorite draft.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:12 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Never drink well tequila.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:28 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
I usually do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages