Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 03:21 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
I have nothing but good things to say about allergy shots. I still have occasional sinus headaches and sneezing, but my allergies have improved significantly in just over the past 7 months of allergy shots.
A very good reminder not to expect or demand total elimination of all allergic responses. Some people tend to be unrealistic and start saying the shot series didn't work at all if they so much as sniffle ever again. As said before, I had the series as a child. The difference it made in my daily life was significant. I can still react to a couple of the allergens I was most sensitive to. Not surprising, not unexpected. I know what those few are. Definitely manageable by avoidance and with an OTC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 10:44 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
Has anyone here had allergy shots for hymenoptera (bees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets)? I had a bad reaction to yellow jacket toxin (not an anaphylactic reaction) several years ago and just last Friday I got bitten by a hornet on one arm and stung by a honey bee on the thigh at the same time. And yes, we got a "sample" of the hornet and of the honey bee (had to pull the stinger out of my leg) so we know what was what. Or who was who.

Anyway, had another major reaction to the toxin (again, not anaphylactic) but my doctor is very worried about what might happen if I'm bitten/stung again. He mentioned allergy shots after updated testing. I already tested Class 2 and 3 positive for those species several years ago.

So if you did, how successful was it? I do have Epipens but hope never to have to use those. I'd prefer desensitization. Bring on your stories!

Old 08-20-2018, 11:16 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,050,099 times
When I was a child, I was sick with allergies, just about all summer. The worse times were Memorial Day weekends and then again on Labor Day weekends. So strange.
I had gone for shots, once a month, for a couple for years....didn`t help at all. As the years went by , I grew out of them, for the most part....still a little bothersome, but nothing like when I was a child.
I have taken Flonase, and it did help, however if you take it for to long, you might have withdrawal symptoms like I did.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:47 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
I see a board certified allergist, and am allowed to take the injections at home. The allergist made an exception because I'm an RN, and I have both injections of epi available in case of anaphylactic shock. As such, the worst reaction I've had has localized swelling and itching around the injection site. Because I'm a bit of a worrier, I even take Xyzal 10mg an hour or so prior to a shot.

I have nothing but good things to say about allergy shots. I still have occasional sinus headaches and sneezing, but my allergies have improved significantly in just over the past 7 months of allergy shots.
I'm not an RN and took my shot stuff home and they never did a thing for me in the year or so I did these allergy shots. Thinking more as I get older, what rackets.

Antioxidants which I've talked about here did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies