Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 06:30 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times

Advertisements

Think about this one. My mother was a little weird. Every morning, about 5:00 she would get up,, squeeze me a glass of fresh orange juice, drop three raw egg yolks in it, pour two tablespoons of olive oil on top and bring it to me. I would be too sleepy to refuse. Just hold my nose, swallow as fast as I could and gag later.

One morning...she tried to sneak FOUR yolks in. I threw up. I'll admit. Except for allergies, I was healthy. Never had colds, sore throats, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 06:51 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It was ALL about the rubbing alcohol rubs on my back and chest when I had a fever. That and chicken soup, saltines, and gingerale.

But those things I -loved- not hated.

The only thing I hated, really, was being sincerely sick, and mom putting a stew pot with an inch of water down by my bed so the puke chunks would float and be easier to clean when I leaned over and hurled.
Did not like the alcohol rubs at all, but who wouldn't like chicken soup, saltines, and ginger ale? I remember a upchuck bucket next to the bed, but mom never thought to give the chunks a little pool to swim in.
I grew up way before digital thermometers, so I'd bet temperature taking wasn't always pleasant.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Think about this one. My mother was a little weird. Every morning, about 5:00 she would get up,, squeeze me a glass of fresh orange juice, drop three raw egg yolks in it, pour two tablespoons of olive oil on top and bring it to me. I would be too sleepy to refuse. Just hold my nose, swallow as fast as I could and gag later.

One morning...she tried to sneak FOUR yolks in. I threw up. I'll admit. Except for allergies, I was healthy. Never had colds, sore throats, etc.
Rocky? Is that you??

Old 10-17-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Enemas.
See, the secret here is that your mom thought they really kept you from getting sick. The truth is more like that you were too afraid to complain about feeling unwell, knowing what was coming!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:31 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,271,693 times
When I had a sore throat,I used to put a old tube sock around my neck,which was plastered in Vicks and safety pin it on all night. In the morning my throat felt better!? Truth!

Greenchili

Old 10-17-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
When I had a sore throat,I used to put a old tube sock around my neck,which was plastered in Vicks and safety pin it on all night. In the morning my throat felt better!? Truth!

Greenchili
Makes no sense scientifically as far as I can tell, but neither do purges for the flu. Go figure.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:41 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Makes no sense scientifically as far as I can tell, but neither do purges for the flu. Go figure.
Actually there's merit in Vicks (which is why it's so popular). The specific application of tube-sock + vicks, not so much. But a washcloth + vicks, or just rubbing it in, or using a hot-air humidifier with vicks, definitely. It contains menthol and camphor. Camphor is an antisceptic and contains microbial properties, while menthol is a topical analgesic. Both work together as a vasodilator, which results in attracting heat to the surface. Very useful for colds and winter virii, it promotes productive coughing, which is what you need, when you're dry-coughing when you're sick. When you start hearing that wet icky rattle after a few days of dry-coughing and barely being able to breathe because you feel like someone parked a semi on your chest, you know you're on your way to feeling better, because the cough is "breaking up."

Old 10-18-2012, 05:48 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Your reference to footie pajamas is, I think, key: It's more about the memories than the cures. Even the people who got purges have warm memories because it was a comfort to be cared for.

BLECH.......I HATED those things and still cannot stand my feet being covered and my Mother would get so mad at me when I was a child, I cut every last footie off of those danged pajamas. She finally quit buying them and forcing me to wear them. To this day I have to have my feet sticking OUT of the blanket as I am drifting off to sleep.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:50 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
I used to be given a spoonful of sugar with kerosene (coal oil) for a cold and cough.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:36 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,169,437 times
My Mom told me when she was a kid, for an ear ache her Dad would put urine in her ear. No, he didn't actually pee in her ear he would pee in a bottle and then pore it in. She was born on a farm in 1923. So I guess one of those old home remedies that we can't even imagine today. The thing I hated the worse was the "pump gun" for constipation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine