Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 02:47 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times

Advertisements

Do you think/feel you have a better understanding of your body and its heath than a doctor? Do you turn to alternative, herbs, diet, nutrition or supplements before seeking out a doctor's visit? If you doctor yourself, how has that worked out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 02:54 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,212,776 times
Default After my first serious surgery ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Do you think/feel you have a better understanding of your body and its heath than a doctor? Do you turn to alternative, herbs, diet, nutrition or supplements before seeking out a doctor's visit? If you doctor yourself, how has that worked out?
I woke up in a whole lot of pain and realized then that the only person who was going to heal me was me.

I spoke to a drug salesman once who told me that the same active ingredient could be in a herb medicine that is in ethical drugs but in hugely smaller amounts.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:21 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Yes, I absolutely feel I know my body better than a doctor...We've always taken care of ourselves, and the only time I've ever gone to a doc is to tell them what I have and what I need.(something they'll verify first of course).I'll use natural alternative methods of healing, and only go to the docs when all else fails.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:20 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Yes, I absolutely feel I know my body better than a doctor...We've always taken care of ourselves, and the only time I've ever gone to a doc is to tell them what I have and what I need.(something they'll verify first of course).I'll use natural alternative methods of healing, and only go to the docs when all else fails.
Yes, I'm with you...I've a lot of time (and personal interest) to devote to my health--doctors these days..not so much.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:38 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,910 times
I will only go to the doctor to get blood levels checked (since, for some strange reason, I cannot order these directly from a laboratory). I will occasionally see what my doctor has to say on certain issues, but I view it all through the prism that doctors are trained through schools that have oftentimes received generous grants from pharmaceuticals companies. This taints their view on things, I believe, and they graduate thinking the solution to everything is to be found by writing on a prescription pad.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:54 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
Doctors don't "heal" you. Your body regenerates and heals as a natural process (when conditions are right and the immune system has not been compromised).

In a best case scenario, a doctor might put together pieces of the puzzle and advise you, but in Western medicine, only symptoms are treated, not underlying causes.

And burning, slicing and dicing is not "medicine." It's corporate butchery (often) enriching third parties . . . not so much concerned with "you" and YOUR physical, emotional and spiritual health.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:57 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
My doctor is a nice guy but I would not trust his judgement when it comes to things that are really serious...I know my body- I know how to harm it and I know how to heal it.....doctors make mistakes - they are not gods.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:38 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Just a while ago - I suddenly developed high blood pressure- it was long term stress that brought it on - plus heavy smoking- I have always had a problem keeping hydrated most of my life...I rarely get thirsty. The doctor prescribed a medication - and unknown to me there was a "water pill" in the compound...after a month I looked into the mirror and literally was turning to leather...The doctor was slowly aging and killing me- I spoke to him and set him straight...like I said - He's a nice man and we are friends but he is quite stupid.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:01 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
My doctors and I are a team. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing scenario.

For the people who continuously complain about doctors, I suggest if they are not doing a job to your liking, just get another one.

One of the best things I do to help myself medically is to choose good doctors, and yes, many of them are well versed in alternative medicine. They care about the best methods to treat someone, whether it be diet, exercise, supplements or a prescription.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-17-2013, 10:10 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
I am a doctor. I practice western medicine.

For myself and family, I avoid medicines as much as possible. I am a total minimalist, I feel food and exercise fix many, many things. Certain supplements and herbs live in my medicine cabinet.

Why the dichotomy?

Patients get angry if you suggest they b part of the solution instead of give them their quick fix prescription they really came for. They think it is all hippy woo woo.

Using food, stretching, and exercise as therapy is far too labor intensive for most Americans. I have tried over and over to counsel on better diet, etc, but people won't give up their crap.

A warm compress is not the latest tech. People want the latest tech. And my whole job and being allowed to exist and work is directly tied to customer service numbers. I still try over and over to suggest alternative and adjunct treatment. 50,000 patients later, it mostly falls on deaf ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine