Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 12:40 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times

Advertisements

Have you ever used Chinese Medicine or acupuncture to treat a medical condition? If yes, what was the condition -- and was your treatment successful?

Considering this modality for a chronic condition (high blood pressure) and wondering how effective it might be. I know my/our mileage may vary.

Seems the Chinese have been using their medicine for centuries...has to work in many cases I figure.

Once I did use acupuncture for a painful muscle spasm in my neck and got almost instant relief after one treatment...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 01:18 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
If you can get to acupuncture for the BP issue, then why not. I have done it for some yrs on other issues and even have an order coming for some new needles to use on my knee.,...mostly the inside for soft tissue pain...the blood needs to get flowing there I believe. I have been side tracked with a hospital/rehab issue for this knee and I truly believe I just had a bad Prolo injection placed and it caused infection. If I had only stopped after the 4th one but I went for one more...this is called hindsight. I don't believe acupuncture needles do infection, they barely scratch the surface of the skin. Clean sterile needles on clean skin, I clean my skin with alcohol.

Maybe your BP is not an issue, do you monitor it at home...take it at least 3 times daily...before foods, after, depending on talking, thoughts...you name it. Sitting, laying.. A member just posted a very good post on the current BP post going on H&W. It's a mystery I believe and so many take drugs...we listen to the MD's...many many do.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:31 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I don't know about using it for blood pressure but acupuncture certainly works. Their herbs can work too. That said, I've only had it work in the hands of a true professional. One was at a school for acupuncture and the people who worked on me were from China and were the head instructors.

The other time it worked on me was with a Chinese MD who didn't have an American medical licence but knew about Chinese medicine so he did that instead.

Another time, I had an American acupuncturist and I didn't notice any improvement but she used someone I never saw or met for the herbs. This person would write a prescription in some other language and their little pharmacy would fill it. Those herbs worked. Maybe he was from Thailand, I'm not sure.

I had dramatic relief from a severe sinus infection at the school of acupuncture. At the time I had a rotten dr who was refusing to give me antibiotics. (When I finally got in to see my ENT he wondered out loud why I hadn't been on antibiotics!) But until I could get an appointment with the ENT, I went to acupuncture and they worked on me for a long time. Asked a lot of questions and then did things. Going in, I was so sick and weak I could hardly walk. I walked out of there feeling a whole lot better. It was perfectly amazing. I had no idea if it would work but thank goodness it did.

Acupuncture is great for some things and not so good for other things. I hope someone else has had some blood pressure experience.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:51 PM

I've heard it very effective for lowering blood pressure:

https://www.acunyc.com/services/hypertension/

Old 04-14-2018, 08:40 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've heard it very effective for lowering blood pressure:

https://www.acunyc.com/services/hypertension/
Thanks so much, Jamin!! That article is very eye-opening and encouraging...I've printed it out and will begin the search for a knowledgeable TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) doctor.

My challenge is the nearest one may be 3 hours away, the dark side of living in a small coastal community...but I will look further.

Or maybe take a health vacation to visit a TCM doctor.

Great explanation of how TCM treats HBP and gets to the root cause....

Old 04-14-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Thanks so much, Jamin!! That article is very eye-opening and encouraging...I've printed it out and will begin the search for a knowledgeable TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) doctor.

My challenge is the nearest one may be 3 hours away, the dark side of living in a small coastal community...but I will look further.

Or maybe take a health vacation to visit a TCM doctor.

Great explanation of how TCM treats HBP and gets to the root cause....
One member here and one on another health group put the thought in my mind that one can do it themselves as there are plenty of self acupuncture sites online...I buy my needles on ebay and they are a fine quality. I've been off doing it for a while since I was in the hospital/rehabs and now that I'm feeling much better will work with self treatments again. I feel fine about this work... I don't have fear of needles.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:19 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
I’ve used TCM herbs to treat allergies and breathing issues. I got ok results, nothing spectacular. Living in an area with bad air quality didn’t help, after moving, things were better. Anyway, she recommend acupuncture and not being brave like Jam around needles, I said no and tried cupping instead. It hurt like heck, but after that single treatment, the congestion eased a lot.

I’d definitely try a TCM practice in the future, no question that these treatments can benefit many conditions.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
I’ve used TCM herbs to treat allergies and breathing issues. I got ok results, nothing spectacular. Living in an area with bad air quality didn’t help, after moving, things were better. Anyway, she recommend acupuncture and not being brave like Jam around needles, I said no and tried cupping instead. It hurt like heck, but after that single treatment, the congestion eased a lot.

I’d definitely try a TCM practice in the future, no question that these treatments can benefit many conditions.
My daughter and her kids try everything and they've used cupping with good results.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:42 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
I've used this particular Chinese cream for my skin for over a year now. It really has helped me.
I have slight eczema.

Below is a poster of Chinese herbs it contains, and it's Chinese name (as a spray):

Last edited by TerraDown; 04-14-2018 at 11:57 AM..

Old 04-14-2018, 11:50 AM

T.D. Does Amazon sell it....who does? It's new to me and I'm game to try just about everything on my knee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine