Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 03:48 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,708,874 times

Advertisements

My friend's elderly brother is in hospital. He was diagnosed with a UTI, and given medication for it. (I don't know what.)
Suddenly he started to exhibit symptoms of Alzheimer's. My friend is very perturbed because she saw him not long ago, and he had no signs of dementia or Alzheimers.

I suggested she find out what drug he is being given for the UTI, bec. I know some antibiotics like fluoroquinolones (eg Cipro) can cause central nervous system symptoms such as paranoia, depression, delusion.

Wondering what anyone's thoughts are on this -- or any experience you have.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 04:57 AM

526 posts, read 900,613 times
Many elderly people suddenly start to exhibit signs of dementia or delirium when they're in the hospital. It's probably caused by a combination of things -- stress, illness, lack of familiar surroundings, and lots of other things. It's quite common. Often it resolves when the person returns home.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:36 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,213,314 times
There's a good chance he was already developing dementia but hadn't been diagnosed and the UTI triggered it.

From the article below: In older people with dementia, urinary tract infections (UTIs) can cause sudden behavior changes rather than the common physical symptoms. Knowing the signs of UTIs in older people can help your loved one get treated early, before the infection leads to serious health problems.

https://www.alzheimers.net/2014-04-0...-and-dementia/

Old 09-20-2018, 11:56 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Hard to know BUT a neighbor friend who is 92 I believe and has many UTI's, she is forever dealing with them and takes supplements for them, no drugs, she has no signs of alz issues.

She finds best help with https://www.iherb.com/r/Now-Foods-D-...-3-oz-85-g/531

And there is another one and I'll look for it and post it...here it is, and my friend uses it:

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Nature-s-An...z-120-ml/14967

D Mannose could work just as good.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-20-2018 at 12:27 PM..

Old 09-20-2018, 12:35 PM

Please be careful treating UTIs with home remedies. UTIs can be life-threatening.

Typically, UTIs, also known as bladder infections, are easy to cure. But if left untreated, the infection can spread and develop into far more serious conditions. UTIs, for instance, are a leading cause of sepsis, a potentially life-threatening infection of the bloodstream.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Please be careful treating UTIs with home remedies. UTIs can be life-threatening.

Typically, UTIs, also known as bladder infections, are easy to cure. But if left untreated, the infection can spread and develop into far more serious conditions. UTIs, for instance, are a leading cause of sepsis, a potentially life-threatening infection of the bloodstream.
Oh, my friend was given 5 days of Cipro at one point and she's still dealing with the damage from that abx...we know about those drugs.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:41 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh, my friend was given 5 days of Cipro at one point and she's still dealing with the damage from that abx...we know about those drugs.
Cipro is not the only antibiotic to treat a UTI. There are certainly other options and if there is an adverse reaction, the best option is just to say you don’t want that one can you try something else as opposed to simply not going for antibiotics at all, developing an acute kidney injury, and potentially dying from something that is easily treatable.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
That's not a good enough reason to advise elderly people with UTIs to avoid doctors and try alternative remedies. People can and do die from UTIs. It's especially dangerous for older persons because the symptoms often aren't noticed until the infection is well established. Please seek medical care for a UTI and ask your doctor for an different medicine if you don't like the first recommendation as our noodle friend above mentioned.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Cipro is not the only antibiotic to treat a UTI. There are certainly other options and if there is an adverse reaction, the best option is just to say you don’t want that one can you try something else as opposed to simply not going for antibiotics at all, developing an acute kidney injury, and potentially dying from something that is easily treatable.
I'm not the doc and that's what her doc gave her 5 pills and she had no idea of the history of this class of abx drugs until she got home with them and started them, I think she took 2 or 3 and stopped....

Old 09-20-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
That's not a good enough reason to advise elderly people with UTIs to avoid doctors and try alternative remedies. People can and do die from UTIs. It's especially dangerous for older persons because the symptoms often aren't noticed until the infection is well established. Please seek medical care for a UTI and ask your doctor for an different medicine if you don't like the first recommendation as our noodle friend above mentioned.
This lady has been on this earth 92 years and she has done pretty well and lives with damage from pharma drugs in her lifetime. I don't TELL her what to do, she asks me what I do and I tell her my supports. She's very against pharma drugs. This woman lives alone, takes care of herself and that's saying something, you think? If I can make it that long with my walker I guess I've done good too. She's finally getting social services to do some light work since the 2nd hip replacement didn't make her life that great...another story.

Anyone visit the Caregiver area here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine