Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 12:18 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,756,587 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I am going to start a 40 day fast on Wednesday. It's not to lose weight, just a time of prayer and preparation for Easter.

Can anyone give me tips/advice on this? I've never fasted before and it won't be easy so any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 12:23 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
I've never done it before either. I would say read your Bible a LOT. You are going to drink water aren't you? If this is want the Lord is leading you to do he will provide you the power to do it. Good Luck!

Old 02-19-2007, 12:28 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,842,411 times
I'd check with a doctor. Your setting yourself up for some health issues.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I've never done it before either. I would say read your Bible a LOT. You are going to drink water aren't you? If this is want the Lord is leading you to do he will provide you the power to do it. Good Luck!
Thanks ILNC!
I'll be drinking water, herbal teas and eating raw fruits and veggies (not a total fast, Rance-thanks for the concern )
and of course reading my Bible. Also, no TV and Internet..Yikes! Which means I need info between now and tomorrow.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:24 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,126,326 times
I've been on several moderate fasts.

Get plenty of rest. Drink the water slowly as well as the other beverages. Drink water at or just above room temperature (not from the frig; too cold and hard on the stomach).

Alternate between beverages and pulp fruit--one, two and/or three hours apart. Chew slowly.

I think you're in NC or SC, so try to get some outdoor but moderate exercise and plenty of sun.

Good luck! Stay well! And hope to hear of your success!

Old 02-19-2007, 01:25 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Thanks ILNC!
I'll be drinking water, herbal teas and eating raw fruits and veggies (not a total fast, Rance-thanks for the concern )
and of course reading my Bible. Also, no TV and Internet..Yikes! Which means I need info between now and tomorrow.
Please be sure and check in after your 40 days. I know you will be just fine. I'll be praying for you and I will miss your postings.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:32 PM

Thanks ontheroad, for the tips-and ILNC always for your kindnes. I will surely know how it went. I'll probably be starting a thread the day after Easter titled, "Where can I find the best steakhouse in NC???"

Old 02-19-2007, 02:19 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,788,996 times
Talking I just finished a 10 day Daniel's fast Ms.Charlotte

for the same reasons as you . I believe that you are also planning to do the Daniel's fast. Easy to google that fast online. Here is what I did:

1) Asked good friends to pray and support me and several friends in another state joined along on the fast for various lengths of commitment.

2) Went online and to the library to get ideas

3) Went to Costco and bought large bags of organic apples, avocados, very tasty tomatoes, red potatoes and almonds (of course you can buy more fruits and vegetables there).

4) Went to my local grocery store and bought bags of bananas, organic lettuce, carrots, celery, sweet potatoes, etc. I also decided to buy rice vinegar for my salad (pray about foods not specifically on the Daniel fast for God's leading for yourself).

5) Left 'bad' foods in my house. The temptation to eat them was minor because once you start eating fruits and vegetables, most all cravings go away for sweets, meat, dairy and breads. This is what I'd read and it happened for me also.

It was the best thing I've ever done for myself ! I didn't realize how eating meats and dairy and sweets leads to overeating and food addictions . The Daniel fast for me was boring because I lack knowledge of how to cook and prepare different types of fruits and vegetables, but the food was always satisfying and filled me up. I drank distilled water before every meal, but didn't drink anything with my meals.

Best wishes to you! You 'might' want to consider a shorter fast and then keep adding onto it if you feel you can continue. This way you are able to keep your commitment to God !

Old 02-19-2007, 03:21 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Hey everyone! I am going to start a 40 day fast on Wednesday. It's not to lose weight, just a time of prayer and preparation for Easter.

Can anyone give me tips/advice on this? I've never fasted before and it won't be easy so any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Yes, don't tell everyone, hello? "But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly." (Matthew 6:17,18)

Old 02-19-2007, 03:33 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,238,133 times
Is fasting really healthy......or necessary? Maybe the "40 day fast" has another meaning. (Just concerned for you, is all. Stay safe.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine