Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:25 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toumai View Post
do you need anything special as a american citizen to move and work in the caribbean, and what island from anyones personal exp are the best to live in as a english speaking american.
I've traveled around the Caribbean quite a bit. Since you are an American, I'd choose San Juan (Puerto Rico) or St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands). If you prefer larger cities choose San Juan and if you prefer a more laid back atmosphere choose St. Thomas. Also, Hispanics make up the majority in Puerto Rico, while Blacks make up the majority in the US Virgin Islands. I love San Juan and St. Thomas. I've met quite a few Americans who moved from the mainland. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,175 times
what about dominica vs st kitts/nevis as the caribbean destination to retire to?

Old 01-26-2014, 11:08 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,410 times
Would someone from the mainland be able to get a job as a college instructor in the US Virgin Islands? I have a M.A. in Education.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:36 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toumai View Post
do you need anything special as a american citizen to move and work in the caribbean, and what island from anyones personal exp are the best to live in as a english speaking american.

You definitely need a work permit. Some islands have Economic Citizenship programs based on a certain level of investment.

Every island is different so you need to sample them as a down low tourist (staying in a guest house, so not protected in tourist enclaves) to see which you like. Some are very vibrant and cosmopolitan (Trinidad) and others quite sleepy (Nevis)..

In the Caribbean we have a saying "come see me and come live with me are two different things". Islands which are wonderful destinations might be less friendly if they think that you are taking jobs away from local people. You will be better perceived if they see you as creating jobs for locals.

Consider also that these islands are small and so the existing professional service companies already have the connections in the public and/or private sectors and dont take kindly to new competitors.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpalm View Post
what about dominica vs st kitts/nevis as the caribbean destination to retire to?

Neither are cheap, though Dominica is cheaper.

St Kitts/Nevis has a much more developed infrastructure for retirees and St Kitts is very accessable from the USA. More of the traditional tourist amenities, though it is by no means as developed as are islands like Antigua, or St Maarten.

Dominica is great if you want to get away from it all and love an outdoor nature life, but dont expect the usual Caribbean beach there. Expect some what rustic living.

If you can invest US$400k in real estate you can get Economic Citizenship in both countries, which removes the need to be concerned about restrictions on length of stay allowed upon each visit.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Would someone from the mainland be able to get a job as a college instructor in the US Virgin Islands? I have a M.A. in Education.

Try UVI.

University of the Virgin Islands

Old 01-30-2014, 01:55 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,324,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I've traveled around the Caribbean quite a bit. Since you are an American, I'd choose San Juan (Puerto Rico) or St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands). If you prefer larger cities choose San Juan and if you prefer a more laid back atmosphere choose St. Thomas. Also, Hispanics make up the majority in Puerto Rico, while Blacks make up the majority in the US Virgin Islands. I love San Juan and St. Thomas. I've met quite a few Americans who moved from the mainland. Good luck!
USA Virgin Islands (Danish Virgin Islands) are actually diverse and there are actually many Puerto Ricans in the USVI's. USVIs have a lot of mixed peoples as well.

Hispanic is NOT a race. Hispanics can be of ANY race. Hispanic just means that one is from a Spanish speaking country. With that said, Puerto Rico has people of ALL races, just like the USA. There are whites, blacks, mulattoes, Native Americans, Asians etc in Puerto Rico. Racially, most Puerto Ricans are documented as white, but most Puerto Ricans tend to be of mixed race of blacks, whites, and Native Americans/Tainos/Arawaks etc.

Puerto Ricans can be of any race or phenotype of look.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:59 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,324,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpalm View Post
Dominica is actually quite expensive and in many ways more expensive than the USA. Many people down there favor the USA dollar over the Eastern Caribbean (EC) currency. It's a nice place to visit or spend time though.

Saint Lucia is very nice too. Very similar to Dominica but has more paved roads and highway and infrastructure.

Saint Kitts and Nevis has more developed roads and highways or infrastructure.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Dominica is actually quite expensive and in many ways more expensive than the USA. Many people down there favor the USA dollar over the Eastern Caribbean (EC) currency. It's a nice place to visit or spend time though.

Saint Lucia is very nice too. Very similar to Dominica but has more paved roads and highway and infrastructure.

Saint Kitts and Nevis has more developed roads and highways or infrastructure.

If asked I would say that St Lucia is the most developed, followed by St Kitts Nevis, and then Dominica, which is considerably less developed than either. St Lucia is large by Eastern Caribbean standards, so has amenities that St K/N is too small to have. Though some might say that it also has a larger population of really poor people.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,717 times
Default Quick answer is "NO"

Someone said look into the US Virgin Islands. Go visit there first though. Make sure you understand the cost of living and local transportation. The transportation will make you or brake you. Visit and you will understand why you need a car. You can ship yours. My jeep would have cost me about 4-5k to ship. If you buy local the vehicle is expensive and be sure to budget in new brakes, clutch, and maybe a transmission. (The cars are ran hard up and down very steep roads) You can get a job there it will be lower pay than what your probably use to. So can you do it? Yes in the USVI. Just go there first and really decide if you want and can pull it off. Best of luck. I now live in Aspen and its not much easier here. Except the bus system is good and reliable, and you can make it without a car. Rent is so high you will most likely need two jobs and roommates. My point is from my experience desirable places that seem like paradise may look good from afar but far from the picture you paint in your mind. Good luck and choose wise. Don't sell all your stuff like your car and get a one-way ticket. Read up on it and visit or you may find yourself back home in three months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas