Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:30 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

How different would you say they are? As different as American states, like say NY and California, or moreso? The obvious one is Brazil, so I'm more talking the Spanish speaking nations. Is Colombian culture kinda Caribbean compared to Chile?

Old 03-15-2011, 05:00 AM

230 posts, read 904,709 times
They are much more different than the difference between American states. (Although that is not too say that there is not a huge difference between some American states. One just needs to travel from New York to New Orleans to see.) The Spanish speaking South American countries are very different from one another politically, economically, racially. It can be somewhat divided between the more economically developed southern cone states which are predominantly of European ancestry and the Andean countries which are majority Indian, mestizo, and smaller groups of white and black. But even this is too simple.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:40 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How different would you say they are? As different as American states, like say NY and California, or moreso? The obvious one is Brazil, so I'm more talking the Spanish speaking nations. Is Colombian culture kinda Caribbean compared to Chile?
They are pretty different from each other overall in the same sense that Mexico is different from Canada. Colombia and Venezuela has more of a carribean/indigeonous presence compared with countries like Argentina and Uruguay which have more of a european presence with a huge Spanish and Italian influence. As a result the cuisine/culture of each South American country will vary from country to country just like anywhere else.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:55 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
Well, Brazil is different because of the language. But there are differences among the Spanish speaking countries as well. Differences on cuisine, on music, on culture. In Argentina, you won't find the taco food and the salsa music from Mexico. You will find barbecue food and tango music.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:49 PM

44 posts, read 221,392 times
I'd separate them in 3 big groups (excluding Mexico and center america as you're only mentioning south america):

Caribbean countries: Venezuela and Colombia. Lot of black influence, in terms of race and culture. Very very friendly people. Beautiful women, if not the most beautiful women in the world. Colombians and Venezuelans even have a very similar accent and share similar food (Arepas). Even their national flags are basically the same. I love these people because they're generally very happy, they love rumbas (party, dance!) and love Salsa music, which I also do.

Countries from the Andes: Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia. The main thing they all share is race. They have a big influence of indigenous race as the Inca Empire basically was established in these 3 countries, with the capital in Peru (Cuzco). In Bolivia most of the people has indigenous influence, while Peru is a lot more diverse, but indigenous people still predominates, overall outside the capital. These countries also have a similar accent. Peru has its own food and the best food in the continent by far. Peru and Ecuador share many things from the Caribbean countries, like the people friendliness and music tastes. Bolivian people is more unfriendly and I think it is due to being the least developed country in the continent.

Southern countries: Argentina, Uruguay, Chile. White race dominates this group. They all have a big influence from Europe, specially Uruguay and Argentina. Chile and Uruguay often appears as the top countries in terms of development, human rights, perception of corruption, economy wealth, etc. They have done it very well in the last decades. I'd say Uruguay and Chile are the rich kids in the neighbor. Argentina has a great culture and has provided the continent with a great culture during the past century, they have great people but their politicians are probably the worst politicians in the world and that's causing the country to be in a very bad situation right now. Chilean people is probably the most unfriendly people in the continent and they are very similar to Europeans in terms of unfriendliness. Accents from Uruguay and Argentina are exactly the same. Chile has its own accent that nobody else but Chileans understand.

Not sure where Paraguay fits, I think they have a lack of identity. However if I had to put them in one group, due to their culture, I'd put them in the group of the countries from the Andes.

Cheers!

Old 03-15-2011, 06:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
When President Reagan stepped off the plane, after his first state visit to Latin American, the astonished president exclaimed to the press "Those are all different countries down there!" Even Reagan noticed the differences.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faire View Post
I'd separate them in 3 big groups (excluding Mexico and center america as you're only mentioning south america):

Caribbean countries: Venezuela and Colombia. Lot of black influence, in terms of race and culture. Very very friendly people. Beautiful women, if not the most beautiful women in the world. Colombians and Venezuelans even have a very similar accent and share similar food (Arepas). Even their national flags are basically the same. I love these people because they're generally very happy, they love rumbas (party, dance!) and love Salsa music, which I also do.

Countries from the Andes: Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia. The main thing they all share is race. They have a big influence of indigenous race as the Inca Empire basically was established in these 3 countries, with the capital in Peru (Cuzco). In Bolivia most of the people has indigenous influence, while Peru is a lot more diverse, but indigenous people still predominates, overall outside the capital. These countries also have a similar accent. Peru has its own food and the best food in the continent by far. Peru and Ecuador share many things from the Caribbean countries, like the people friendliness and music tastes. Bolivian people is more unfriendly and I think it is due to being the least developed country in the continent.

Southern countries: Argentina, Uruguay, Chile. White race dominates this group. They all have a big influence from Europe, specially Uruguay and Argentina. Chile and Uruguay often appears as the top countries in terms of development, human rights, perception of corruption, economy wealth, etc. They have done it very well in the last decades. I'd say Uruguay and Chile are the rich kids in the neighbor. Argentina has a great culture and has provided the continent with a great culture during the past century, they have great people but their politicians are probably the worst politicians in the world and that's causing the country to be in a very bad situation right now. Chilean people is probably the most unfriendly people in the continent and they are very similar to Europeans in terms of unfriendliness. Accents from Uruguay and Argentina are exactly the same. Chile has its own accent that nobody else but Chileans understand.

Not sure where Paraguay fits, I think they have a lack of identity. However if I had to put them in one group, due to their culture, I'd put them in the group of the countries from the Andes.

Cheers!
I think I would agree with everything you said except that I don't think Paraguay lacks an identity. I don't think they really fit in with any of the other groups but this gives them their identity. Somewhat like Brazil, in the sense that being different gives them their identity. It is a country that at the same time being mostly mestizo, also has a strong European influence. There are very few pure indigenous yet many mestizos and even many whites speak can speak Guarani. I wouldn't group them in with the Andes, just because they don't really have many pure indigenous and those that they do have were not part of the Incan empire.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:14 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faire View Post

Cheers!
Chileans mostly look indigenous to me, although I met a guy from Chile who looked mostly Spanish looking. Also met a couple of people from Colombia, one of which looked mostly African in descent. All seemed pretty friendly, probably more outgoing than your average European even though their their English wasn't as good.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:33 AM

Most Chileans I have met outside of Chile have mostly been white (probably a class issue because they have more money to travel) but in Chile I would say about half the population looks like they have some Indian traits but the culture even for most of these people is not so strongly indigenous.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:27 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
In fact, all countries in South American have a more or less strong indigenous influence, even Chile, Argentina and Uruguay. If not in the phenotype, but certainly in the genotype and in some aspects of culture.

But the black influence in South America is mostly confined to Brazil, Venezuela and Colombia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas