Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:16 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,496,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Assuming, most victims are shot with firearms like in the US, how difficult or easy is it to obtain a gun in Brazil?

Read this...

Brazil uses soccer to bring down the murder rate - CSMonitor.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 03:06 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,844,521 times
If you think 100 people being shot dead daily in a country even of Brazils size isn't a problem then lets just press the button and nuke this earth! That is only firearm murders also, are the people in these slums not human? They live in dire poverty surrounded by death, drugs and the country doesn't give 2 s***s about them. Yeah it may be slum dwellers more likely to be murdered but that shouldn't make it any less shocking, no wonder this worlds up f***** up, until the "well off, sweep it under the carpet, if I don't see it it doesn't bother or affect me" people of this world start taking poverty, unemployment, drug abuse etc seriously then it will eventually spiral out of all control and encroach on their comfortable lives anyway.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:16 AM

3,978 posts, read 6,787,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
If you think 100 people being shot dead daily in a country even of Brazils size isn't a problem then lets just press the button and nuke this earth! That is only firearm murders also, are the people in these slums not human? They live in dire poverty surrounded by death, drugs and the country doesn't give 2 s***s about them. Yeah it may be slum dwellers more likely to be murdered but that shouldn't make it any less shocking, no wonder this worlds up f***** up, until the "well off, sweep it under the carpet, if I don't see it it doesn't bother or affect me" people of this world start taking poverty, unemployment, drug abuse etc seriously then it will eventually spiral out of all control and encroach on their comfortable lives anyway.

That is the problem when you talk about a reality that you DON'T KNOW...

Let me explain the Brazilian reality that I KNOW for you:

1 - The 6% of Brazilians who live in slums are not living in "dire poverty". They live in poverty, but not in "dire poverty". They live in solid houses made with solid bricks, that can resist rain and wind very well. Most have electricity and running water. Most have refrigerators and TVs.

2 - 90% of people who live in slums are honest and hardworking people who never get involved in criminal activities, and they HATE the criminals who live in the SAME slums.

3 - The ones who get murdered are the criminals, not the honest and hardworking slum dwellers. The criminals kill each other, because of their internal disputes, and the comments of the honest and hardworking slum dwellers in the next day, when they hear about the murder are: "GOOD, ONE LESS!"

4 - If the hardworking slum dwellers feel happy and relieved when a criminal dies, why would I care about the lives of those scumbags, who have CHOSEN TO BE CRIMINALS, in a country where unemployment is VERY LOW (only 5.2% of unemployment rate in the last month), and where most people in the slums choose the right path of honest hard work?

Old 01-12-2012, 08:30 AM

Who are you kidding they live in severely dire poverty! Maybe they have "houses" but where is their next meal coming from? Where is the jobs and social equality? What about the innocent people living in fear witnessing murders and violence on a daily basis? They need help to get out of poverty, they need reasonable housing and jobs, do this and the murder rate will fall dramatically, everywhere in the world where there is poverty there will be violence regardless of country, cread or colour, Moscow, Chechnya, Belgrade, Johannesburg, New Orleans, Mogadishu, Naples, Melbourne, Glasgow poverty breeds violence and until that is solved all society will eventually pay for it.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Who are you kidding they live in severely dire poverty! Maybe they have "houses" but where is their next meal coming from? Where is the jobs and social equality? What about the innocent people living in fear witnessing murders and violence on a daily basis? They need help to get out of poverty, they need reasonable housing and jobs, do this and the murder rate will fall dramatically, everywhere in the world where there is poverty there will be violence regardless of country, cread or colour, Moscow, Chechnya, Belgrade, Johannesburg, New Orleans, Mogadishu, Naples, Melbourne, Glasgow poverty breeds violence and until that is solved all society will eventually pay for it.

You must be kidding... You REALLY must be kidding...

NEXT MEAL??? Really???

Do you REALLY belive that there is something even close to HUNGER in the Brazilian slums???

WTF!!!!

You REALLY knows NOTHING about Brazil!!!!!

People in the Brazilian slums are usually overweight!!!

Have you ever heard about Bolsa Familia? Google it...

The "next meal" is the last of the concerns of Brazilian slum dwellers! They are much more concerned about what brand of videogame they should buy, a XBox or a Playstation!

Your vision of Brazil is at least 30 years lagged!!!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:07 AM

Ok so malaman just deny it is happening like the rest of your well off countrymen and leave the poor to rot.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:10 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,018 times
We have similar neighborhoods in Colombia Poverty explains part of the problem, but it's not these these people are starving(well some might not have the best meals but most are eating and some very well) it just that some will never have an opportunity to buy things that they can easily get with criminal activities. And then once you have a spoiled apple, it is much easier to spoil the rest. Most criminals start during their early teens when peer preassure is at its highest But most people living in those neighborhoods hate the violence, criminals Killing each other does not solve the problem because there is always someone to replace them.

I think it's funny though that people get freaked out if they get to know someone who gets murder. I do know a quite few people who got murdered during the Pablo Escobar days, I would say like 20 people, maybe more, and yes most were involved in criminal activities(I only know one who supposetely wasn't and a girl who lost a finger by being at wrong place during a shooting) but even some of these criminals were good kids who at some point made the wrong choices. I know because I knew some when we were all kids. I have spent quite some time analizing what went wrong and its not easily explained. Sometimes the school they attended made a huge difference but criminal activity is like a plague that once is in, it's very hard to get rid of it. And don't think for a minute once they are criminals they have no morals or value systems, some of them have standards. I have known criminas less viscious than some US corporate employees I have worked with I think some people kill in Latin America because they can get away with it and some in the USA don't because they know they can't. It does sucks to see people dying but it's not something that you would lose sleep on it for the rest of your life. It sucks for the honest people who lived in those areas who can't afford to get out and who could eventually get hurt with an stray bullet.

Last edited by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥; 01-13-2012 at 08:49 AM..

Old 01-13-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Ok so malaman just deny it is happening like the rest of your well off countrymen and leave the poor to rot.
How many Brazilian favelas have you ever entered in your life?

I have entered at least 20 favelas, hundreds of times...

Last edited by Vichel; 01-13-2012 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language

Old 01-13-2012, 08:26 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,018 times
Quote:
That's the attitude of many people in the US and the wealthy people in latin america I think it is just easier for them to see all like black and white than to think there are good human beings living in those areas. They rarely interact with them so they don't care.

The system is far from perfect but they think it is. It is very sad indeed. When a traveled to Colombia once I wanted to ride the cable car (that goes to our worst neighborhoods) and I remember one beautiful girl got in our Cable car and was missing her hand. People like her are not a rarity in those neighborhoods. But the wealthy or tourists dont see this on a regular basis, they live in their own bubble. Good people are victims of violence too, it's very naive to think they are not.

Last edited by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥; 01-13-2012 at 08:56 AM..

Old 01-13-2012, 08:56 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,039 times
Last I was in Brazil, a few months back, I was talking with a man on the police force in Rio. I was mentioning that I can visually see the improvement in Rio in the last 5 years, especially now with the Olympics coming. He made an interesting comment, as he is interested in investing in Real Estate. He said, many of the poor people in Rio are moving into a lower middle class, and the most miserable people in the country are now moving into the poor category. The changes, especially due to the Olympics, are almost revolutionary for the bottom tier in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas