Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 04:32 PM

758 posts, read 2,240,620 times

Advertisements

Seriously.. WTH is going on here?!

Ônibus e comércios são incendiados no Guarujá - Notícias - R7 São Paulo

This has been happening for some time. Luckily, so far, the people are just ordered off the buses and not burned alive inside the bus, and I sure hope it never progresses into that.... nevertheless, the PCC are indeed involved with several murders throughout Sao Paulo.

It seems that this is part of some police-gang war, with retaliation killings here and there. It seems that, over the past couple of years, crime in Sao Paulo has really taken a turn for the worst,... and it seems to be happening at the worst time possible... a year before the city hosts many of the World Cup games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 05:42 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,035 times
Violence in Sao Paulo is out of control, I was there last month and I even posted something here but hey, let the Brazil cheerleaders say that "It is not that bad!". Over 100 cops murdered in the year of 2012 in the city of Sao Paulo alone.

Besides bus burnings, one car is stolen every 5 minutes in the city of Sao Paulo, not to mention all the random murders, robberies that happen in the city in broad daylight. Wild Wild West to put it nicely.

Jundiai, Sao Paulo, Brazil

Old 01-13-2013, 06:45 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,504 times
Christ..I've always wanted to go to Brazil for the Rio carnivals. Have I been dreaming?

Old 01-13-2013, 09:23 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,873,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Christ..I've always wanted to go to Brazil for the Rio carnivals. Have I been dreaming?
I wouldnt worry about the PCC, who are located in Sao Paulo, in Rio. Go for it.

To anyone wondering what is going on:

The Police and the PCC, the biggest gang in SP, had a truce going back years. In preparation for the world cup and the olympics the Brazilian government is cracking down hard on crime, and the truce between the police and the PCC is over. The police is raiding their favelas, cracking down on the drug trade, and arresting or killing its member. The PCC cannot take on the Brazilian government directly so it often lashes out at innocent civilians in retaliation to make the government look bad and to put pressure on them to go easy on them.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:53 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post

The Police and the PCC, the biggest gang in SP, had a truce going back years. In preparation for the world cup and the olympics the Brazilian government is cracking down hard on crime, and the truce between the police and the PCC is over. The police is raiding their favelas, cracking down on the drug trade, and arresting or killing its member. The PCC cannot take on the Brazilian government directly so it often lashes out at innocent civilians in retaliation to make the government look bad and to put pressure on them to go easy on them.
The notion that the Government is "cracking down" on crime is laughable- but OK, I am sure you read it somewhere. The PCC used to be more concentrated in the city of Sao Paulo but now, it is all over Sao Paulo State- I was born in Ribeirao Preto, a city of 600000 located 194 miles from Sao Paulo and the PCC is causin havoc there too-last month, they had two buses burned to the ground and the murder rate in RP was up 80% in 2012 compared to 2011.

I will state it one last time: the crime situation not only in SP state but all over Brazil is OUT OF CONTROL- If you don't believe it, go see for yourself- you have been warned!

Old 01-13-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
The notion that the Government is "cracking down" on crime is laughable- but OK, I am sure you read it somewhere. The PCC used to be more concentrated in the city of Sao Paulo but now, it is all over Sao Paulo State- I was born in Ribeirao Preto, a city of 600000 located 194 miles from Sao Paulo and the PCC is causin havoc there too-last month, they had two buses burned to the ground and the murder rate in RP was up 80% in 2012 compared to 2011.

I will state it one last time: the crime situation not only in SP state but all over Brazil is OUT OF CONTROL- If you don't believe it, go see for yourself- you have been warned!
Yes, it is what is going on, and I am not sure where you got the idea that something else is happening. I doubt you read something else was going on, because it is not, and nobody would write that.

Unlike you what I am saying is based on reality.

The Brazilian government is cracking down on crime. Despite this new surge in violence crime in Sao Paolo is still lower than it has been in the past, and the new violence is due to the desperation of a gang that is losing its power.

Just so you know I am in Brazil. Perhaps you were born here, but I doubt you really know it. I have seen some of your other post, and you strike me as someone who hardly ever leaves Kansas. It is a shame you hate Brazil since it is such a wonderful country.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 PM

758 posts, read 2,240,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Yes, it is what is going on, and I am not sure where you got the idea that something else is happening. I doubt you read something else was going on, because it is not, and nobody would write that.

Unlike you what I am saying is based on reality.

The Brazilian government is cracking down on crime. Despite this new surge in violence crime in Sao Paolo is still lower than it has been in the past, and the new violence is due to the desperation of a gang that is losing its power.

Just so you know I am in Brazil. Perhaps you were born here, but I doubt you really know it. I have seen some of your other post, and you strike me as someone who hardly ever leaves Kansas. It is a shame you hate Brazil since it is such a wonderful country.
I think that what's happening in Sao Paulo is symptomatic of what happens in a lot of 'new' democracies. As democracy becomes stronger and people actually demand results from their votes (In Brazil it's 100%, elections are uncompromisingly compulsory), they demand more transparency from their government, and convenient alliances, such as the PCC and the Sao Paulo police, can no longer be honored.

Things get worse before they get better.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
I think that what's happening in Sao Paulo is symptomatic of what happens in a lot of 'new' democracies. As democracy becomes stronger and people actually demand results from their votes (In Brazil it's 100%, elections are uncompromisingly compulsory), they demand more transparency from their government, and convenient alliances, such as the PCC and the Sao Paulo police, can no longer be honored.

Things get worse before they get better.
True, and part of it is Brazil is ending corruption and not putting up with these gangs anymore. They are not going out without a fight. Rio has been largely pacified, and the PCC cannot stand up to the military police. Unfortunately more innocents will die before things get better.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho_NM View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about! My wife is from Brazil and I lived there for 21 years. The Government is more corrupt than the criminals they claim to be fighting. Do you even understand the level of corruption of the Policia Militar? Why don't you go do some research instead of talking nonsense

Out of 100 murders in Brazil that take place only 8 are solved! 50000 people are murdered in Brazil every year and 200000 go missing every year. Brazil is a failed state and my wife got so sick of it that she does not even want to go back there ever again. I think it is time to take off your rose colored glasses and start dealing with reality!
Oh I see. Your wife is brazilian and you lived there. That makes you an expert. Guess what my wife is Brazilian and I lived there, so guess what I am an expert too.

You are seriously calling Brazil a failed state? I would like to see a source for that. A failed state is Somalia please show me how a rapidly developing country cutting down on crime is a failed state.

Corruption is a problem in Brazil, nobody is denying that, but at least things are improving. Policia Militar are much better than the civil police, who are the corrupt ones. Hundreds of corrupt are being fired.

I recommend you do some research, and try to understand what is really going on in Brazil, before talking hyperbole nonsense.

BTW, nice first post. You have no credibility. Come back with some sources to back up your claims. Until then I imagine you are just another poster who nobody takes seriously who is making a new username because their reputation is too bad to be taken seriously.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho_NM View Post
Brazil is a failed state in every sense of the word. My kids were born there, I speak fluent Portuguese and we moved back to the USA because I did not want my kids to be raised in a society where being dishonest and corrupt is seen as "normal"

Why don't you read about the case of Carlinhos Cachoeira? That should you give you a good idea of how ****ed up the system is. Brazilians have no understanding of Justice, a person like Carlinhos Cachoeira can do whatever he wants, he was found guilty of several crimes- guess where he is now? At a luxury resort in Bahia resting because prison was too "stressful"- And you really believe that the Government is cracking down on crime?- the Brazilian government is one of the most corrupt Governments in the world.

President Dilma is a criminal herself, a convicted terrorist and bank robber- and you really believe in all this BS about how crime is being dealt with?- Dude, this Government is so corrupt and incompetent that they would not even know how to handle crime.

PT, Dilma's party is one of the most corrupt organizations in Brazil today, they are nothing short of an organized mafia- if you don't believe me, read about the CPI do Mensalao.

I am attaching Dilma's criminal record- I assume you don't speak Portuguese but if you do-look at the "Actividade" section, you will see armed robbery convictions- and you expect someone like her to be tough on crime? You gotta be kidding!

Anyways, I am done- if you want to continue live in denial, it is your own choice, I am done with this discussion!

Now you show your true colors.

Dilma was arrested fighting against a fascist dictatorship that seized power through a coup and overthrew a democracy. So yes she engaged in crimes against an illegitimate government.

It is clear that you dont like Dilma and are upset at Brazil because it doesnt support your politics. My guess is the US is not going to support your politics anymore either. Try Greece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas