U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2012, 07:13 AM
 
125 posts, read 218,643 times
Reputation: 36

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
I'm Indian myself, but born and raised in the US and have traveled extensively around Latin America. I have been to Mexico, Costa Rica, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, Chile, Uruguay, and Argentina. I lived in Buenos Aires for an entire year. I felt very welcomed in all of those countries. Just as welcomed as I've ever felt in North America or Europe. In Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, and Southern Brazil, there are those who feel they are superior to the rest of Latin America, but most people are not like that. In general, if you are friendly, open-minded, respectful, and show some effort in speaking Spanish (or Portuguese in Brazil), you will be treated wonderfully. I made some great friends living in Argentina. Also, since Indians are a rare sight in most of Latin America, people often came up to me out of curiosity, asked questions, and invited me into their homes for wine and conversation. All things considered, I find Latin Americans to be among the friendliest people in the world, and that region is on of the most beautiful on Earth. Don't hesitate to visit, it's a great place.

As far as doing well with women, I didn't find it to be much different than in Europe or North America. If anything, I had an advantage because as an American (despite being of Indian descent, people actually ALWAYS knew I was an American just from the way I dressed, my accent when speaking Spanish, my mannerisms, etc), many women assumed I was wealthy.

THANKS! Repped

So did you hook up with any women there?

Women from a lot of those countries just get me, like they are really my type (argentina especially)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2012, 09:59 AM
 
508 posts, read 1,648,756 times
Reputation: 1005
I am of Indian descent but of 2nd generation, with myself and my parents raised in North America.

Having lived in Latin America, I've travelled to nearly every country and never experienced anything. 80% of the people I come across claim me for their own, so to speak (ie: Brazilians assume I am Brazilians, Panamanians that I'm Panamanian). And when I've said no, I'm American/ Canadian, they are much less PC and say "well you don't look it", and once I tell them my background they are more curious than anything else. There are certainly no major preconceived notions that I found, aside from some countries thinking all Indians are "rich". Actually, Brazilians are really into Indian culture and Indian soap operas (of all things), and most knew more than I did!

To sum up, I think half the stereotypes and media hype about Latin American are pure BS. You will be fine.

ETA: Though I now speak Spanish, I didn't when I first moved. People are more than happy to help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 10:01 AM
 
508 posts, read 1,648,756 times
Reputation: 1005
On and interesting fact: In Panama there is a good number of Indians an they have a few mosques and a Hindu temple. These Indians were originally brought over for the building of the canal, but stayed on for generations. They now basically own the free trade zone and have a monopoly on electronics.

The more you know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 10:12 AM
 
203 posts, read 481,970 times
Reputation: 151
Maybe some snobby porteño will confuse you with a "morucho", but that's very unlikely since they'll know you are a tourist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
2,566 posts, read 4,653,010 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
I'm Indian myself, but born and raised in the US and have traveled extensively around Latin America. I have been to Mexico, Costa Rica, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, Chile, Uruguay, and Argentina. I lived in Buenos Aires for an entire year. I felt very welcomed in all of those countries. Just as welcomed as I've ever felt in North America or Europe. In Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, and Southern Brazil, there are those who feel they are superior to the rest of Latin America, but most people are not like that.


It's true: there are racist people in Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, and Southern Brazil. But, fortunately, they are a minority. The large majority has no such kind of feelings.

In the rest of Latin America (including the rest of Brazil, outside the three Southern states), I'm sure there is ZERO possibility of you having any problem related to "race".

In Rio de Janeiro, Fortaleza, Caracas, Bogota or Panama City any tourist of any "race" will be well treated, and nobody will care about what "race" you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
2,566 posts, read 4,653,010 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
I am of Indian descent but of 2nd generation, with myself and my parents raised in North America.

Having lived in Latin America, I've travelled to nearly every country and never experienced anything. 80% of the people I come across claim me for their own, so to speak (ie: Brazilians assume I am Brazilians, Panamanians that I'm Panamanian). And when I've said no, I'm American/ Canadian, they are much less PC and say "well you don't look it", and once I tell them my background they are more curious than anything else. There are certainly no major preconceived notions that I found, aside from some countries thinking all Indians are "rich". Actually, Brazilians are really into Indian culture and Indian soap operas (of all things), and most knew more than I did!


Any person from India, or with Indian descent, can easily pass as a local, in a crowd in Brazil.

People from India really look like Brazilians. It's almost impossible to any Brazilian to look to a person from India in the street, and realize that person is not a Brazilian, unless that person is dressed in "non-Western" clothes, or is speaking in a foreign language. If the person is dressed in regular Western clothes and keeps silent, everyone will think this person is a Brazilian.

And it's true: Brazilians are very curious about the culture of India. And this curiosity increased after the popular soap opera "Caminho das Indias" ("The Path to India") which was aired a few years ago on TV. Of course you should be prepared to hear some stupid questions about "Dalits" and how they are discriminated in India, but don't take it as a personal offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
2,566 posts, read 4,653,010 times
Reputation: 1562
Just one more advice to Hindus in Brazil: please don't feel offended by the fact that one of the most popular beers in Brazil is called "Brahma"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 01:11 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
1,472 posts, read 3,019,348 times
Reputation: 1566
I have a coworker from Panama who's pretty dark skinned. He's traveled South American pretty extensively and said the only place he felt uncomfortable was Argentina. He said he got kind of a hostile vibe until they found out he was just visiting - not moving there. The conversation came up after I asked him about his travels - he volunteered his opinion on Argentina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 06:58 PM
 
125 posts, read 218,643 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
I have a coworker from Panama who's pretty dark skinned. He's traveled South American pretty extensively and said the only place he felt uncomfortable was Argentina. He said he got kind of a hostile vibe until they found out he was just visiting - not moving there. The conversation came up after I asked him about his travels - he volunteered his opinion on Argentina.
I see.

I had a thing for women from there though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2012, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Buenos Aires
33 posts, read 76,649 times
Reputation: 30
You will be fine, even more your accent will be a big advantage (women love foreign people from exotic places-hence you.

And Buah if an argentinian wants to discriminate someone because of his skin he would say "negro de m...." ,not "morocho" (its not morucho) which is like a friendly way of referring to someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top