Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 03:19 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,326 times

Advertisements

You are 29 years old and have the option to live in Uruguay or Brazil for two years. Which one would you live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 03:58 PM

210 posts, read 565,537 times
Well, what are you looking for? Uruguay is a small, (relatively) rich country with a population concentrated in Montevideo. Brazil is a huge, diverse country; overall less developed, less safe, and poorer. But Brazilian cities do seem more exciting and vibrant, although Montevideo looks beautiful (just not much to do compared to Rio, Salvador, etc). However, Southern Brazil is said to be similar to Uruguay in wealth & culture & demographics. Maybe you should check out the south and some southern cities? You'd have easy access to travel to Uruguay too! If you know Spanish or Portuguese, it'd be easier to go to that respective country, but you might know both or none.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:09 PM

I know both Spanish and Portuguese (Spanish better) and to be honest I have always wanted to live in Brazil for a portion of my life, but Montevideo also seems intriguing. I have always thought of Buenos Aires too, but I am not a fan of the people all that much.

What are some good cities in the south of Brazil? I have thought of Florianpolis. Any other suggestions?

Old 05-22-2013, 04:18 PM

210 posts, read 565,537 times
I've heard good things about Porto Alegre and Curitiba. Anyways, like I said, you could just go to Montevideo for a few days/weeks. I'm sure that's enough time to enjoy the city.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:22 PM

36 posts, read 74,503 times
The best area in Brazil to live is certainly the south. As you live in Chicago, the weather there is more similar to your country, its not cold as the north of USA but its the coldest you are going to find in Brazil. Although, it is hard to say what you want because you didnt say, but I think that a great option would be Porto Alegre, big city in the south of the contry, really near Uruguai or maybe Florianopolis, (one of the most beautiful cities in Brazil), its the capital of Santa Catarina State but it is not as big as Porto Alegre. And of course, if you are going to work, you should consider Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte, Brasilia..

And dont know Montevideo but so I cant say what is better, specially because you didnt say what city in Brazil you are planning to live, so.. But Im brazilian and I can help you with some information, if you want

Old 05-23-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Devlin2 View Post
The best area in Brazil to live is certainly the south. As you live in Chicago, the weather there is more similar to your country, its not cold as the north of USA but its the coldest you are going to find in Brazil. Although, it is hard to say what you want because you didnt say, but I think that a great option would be Porto Alegre, big city in the south of the contry, really near Uruguai or maybe Florianopolis, (one of the most beautiful cities in Brazil), its the capital of Santa Catarina State but it is not as big as Porto Alegre. And of course, if you are going to work, you should consider Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte, Brasilia..

And dont know Montevideo but so I cant say what is better, specially because you didnt say what city in Brazil you are planning to live, so.. But Im brazilian and I can help you with some information, if you want
This is basically what I want: I want to be on the ocean, a city that is relatively safe, that is accepting of foreigners, has a good amount of culture and where it is easy to meet people. The city doesn't have to be huge, but not small either. I prefer something about the size of range between Chicago (city 2.6 million, metro 9.6 million) being the biggest I would want to live and the smallest being something about the size of Minneapolis (380k city, about 3 million metro). I could go smaller though. Somewhere where there is plenty of streetlife but not overwhelming either. I also want to live somewhere where it is fairly affordable.

I will say for the longest my heart has been set on Florianopolis. I would love to live there.

In regards to my job, I can actually work from anywhere in the globe. My job is global, and 90% of the people that I work with on a daily basis are across the globe. So I can easily make a request and see if my company would let me work remotely from Brazil. We will be opening offices there in this year, but I am pretty sure that we will open them in Sao Paulo (which if I have to compromise and live there will do) and possibly Rio.

Right now I am just putting a plan together to make this happen for 2015!

Old 05-23-2013, 10:55 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,525,589 times
Buenos Aires, Argentina??

Old 05-23-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Buenos Aires, Argentina??
I studied abroad in Argentina (BA actually!) so I kind of want to live somewhere new. No offense, but I am not the biggest fans of Argentines, specifically those in Buenos Aires. I don't hate them but they I just didn't really 'click' with them. Love the city though!

With that being said I am thinking of scratching out Uruguay. I have also considered Portugal and Spain. So I would say it's a tossup between Brazil, Spain and Portugal, just not sure which one. Most people think Brazil would be best for me, because I am a total beach person.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:22 AM

How expensive is it to live in the following cities:

Sao Paulo
Rio de Janiero
Florianopolis
Curitiba
Porto Alegre

Old 05-23-2013, 11:22 AM

36 posts, read 74,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
This is basically what I want: I want to be on the ocean, a city that is relatively safe, that is accepting of foreigners, has a good amount of culture and where it is easy to meet people. The city doesn't have to be huge, but not small either. I prefer something about the size of range between Chicago (city 2.6 million, metro 9.6 million) being the biggest I would want to live and the smallest being something about the size of Minneapolis (380k city, about 3 million metro). I could go smaller though. Somewhere where there is plenty of streetlife but not overwhelming either. I also want to live somewhere where it is fairly affordable.

I will say for the longest my heart has been set on Florianopolis. I would love to live there.

In regards to my job, I can actually work from anywhere in the globe. My job is global, and 90% of the people that I work with on a daily basis are across the globe. So I can easily make a request and see if my company would let me work remotely from Brazil. We will be opening offices there in this year, but I am pretty sure that we will open them in Sao Paulo (which if I have to compromise and live there will do) and possibly Rio.

Right now I am just putting a plan together to make this happen for 2015!
Certainly Florianopolis. If you want to be by the sea in a big city, you can go to Florianopolis, Rio de Janeiro or some others in the northeast. I wont recommend you to live in any of these cities in northeast for 2 reasons: its VERY HOT there, even for brazilians who live in other regions and most of them are really safeless.. Rio de Janeiro is too dangerous too and I guess its also too big for you. So I think the best option would be Florianopolis. Id say it is as beautiful as Rio de Janeiro but in a small size and safer

Anyway, why do you want to live USA? Brazil is great but I think the quality of life you have in America is better than what you will have in Brazil, even in the best city.. I like Brazil but we have lots of problems, it goes from corruption to violence.. Of course in some cities, its not that bad, but it will never be as safe as Chicago, for example. The difference is that, in Chicago for example, you have, maybe, the same number of murders of a big city here in Brazil, but all of them happen in a guetto or somewhere far from where you live. In Brazil, it can happen in anyplace at anytime. The slums are usually next to the best neighborhoods so its hard to avoid trouble here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas