Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 10:13 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
What are you talking about? No one said Mexicans were Puerto Ricans. YOU DID.

Mexicans on average are a mix of Native Americam, European, and African. On average they tend to have about 5% African.

In some parts of the USA, Mexican immigrants and their descendants have higher levels of Africam such as some areas of Southern California, and some communities in North Carolina and a few areas of NYC
Not sure how true this is. Mexicans are pretty non African for the most part.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Off topic,but I think Latinos will be more oppressive and racist toward blacks than whites EVER were.

Also,I think Latinos blend in with the white population,so much that they will just be apart of the different ethnicities of white people(much like Italians in the 20th century). They have high intermarriage rates with whites.
These two points I can somewhat see. However, as for blending in with whites, this won't be the case with Mexicans at least.

While I can see your first point as well, what are your reasons for thinking latinos will be worse than whites towards blacks?

Old 10-07-2013, 12:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
These two points I can somewhat see. However, as for blending in with whites, this won't be the case with Mexicans at least.
I posted stats showing that hispanics (including in regions of the country where most hispanics are mexican) have a high intermarriage rate. It would be even higher if you looked at American born only

Old 10-07-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I posted stats showing that hispanics (including in regions of the country where most hispanics are mexican) have a high intermarriage rate. It would be even higher if you looked at American born only
I don't think we're talking about the same things.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:30 PM

308 posts, read 500,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Less than 1% of the Mexican population has any significant African ancestry.
The average Mexican "mestizo" has more than 5.5% African ancestry.

The fact of the matter though is that most Mexicans on average are tri racial!

Old 10-07-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Do you know what the definition of typical means? It seems you, in your quest to sound politically incorrect, have no idea what it means or refuses to acknowledge every countries' peoples have a typical look. What is the typical look? The look what represents the majority population of the country. So, what does a typical Mexican look like? Since you are having trouble with the concept, the typical Mexican looks like a darkly tanned white man with soft or medium Amerindian features. What you see on TV is nowhere near the majority of the population
Rofl! Don't put words in my mouth or try to spin things around.

This is not about political correctness or political incorrectness. Frankly, PCness can often be annoying and backfires on itself.

Again, I said I'm aware of what people may attach to others as having a (stereo)typical look for a certain group. My point is that even among what is accepted as the stereotypical look for a Mexico is not set in concrete in stone, as people just slap the flawed label of Spanish, Hispanic, Latino or Mexican to almost anything that doesn't look soley or strictly as one race.

Mexicans vary in look. Most of the time people are associating or slapping ideas of a "typical" look based on what they see of immigrants and people descended from that group in the USA. Most people who associate looks with a certain group haven't even been to that groups country. It's all apart of political semantics.

Mind you that the idea of looking a certain way doesn't always hold up as you already know, especially for Western Hemispheric nations. IJS.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
There probably exist a correlation between average income and distance from the USA. The farther away a county is, the more expensive it is to migrate from there if we take into account the cost of traveling. So naturally, the high cost will help keep many poorer and less qualified people that in closer countries find it much easier to pay for the journey.
True. But also take into account and factor in that sold groups may have better opportunities or better economic factors back in their home countries which can afford them to immigrate more easily to the USA.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Not sure how true this is. Mexicans are pretty non African for the most part.
Lol! Never said Mexicans were African. I said that Mexicans do have detectable African ancestry, along with Native American, and European ancestry.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:

While I can see your first point as well, what are your reasons for thinking latinos will be worse than whites towards blacks?
I think it will. Mexicans will continue to blend in with whiteness. Many Cubans, and even Argentineans, and Colombians have done it.

Hispanics and Latinos are racially counted and tabulated as white for Census purposes anyway most of the time.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:31 PM

138 posts, read 328,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
The average Mexican "mestizo" has more than 5.5% African ancestry.

The fact of the matter though is that most Mexicans on average are tri racial!

Where are you getting this from? I've only seen that on Wikipedia, and there were two sets of data.

"A study by the National Institute of Genomic Medicine, Mexico reported that Mestizo Mexicans are 58.96% European, 35.05% "Asian" (Amerindian), and 5.03% African. Sonora shows the highest European contribution (70.63%) and Guerrero the lowest (51.98%) which also has the highest Asian contribution (37.17%). African contribution ranges from 2.8% in Sonora to 11.13% in Veracruz. 80% of the Mexican population was classed as mestizo (defined as "being racially mixed in some degree")." - Wikipedia

I suppose the remaining 20% are Amerindians, in fact 15% of Mexico identifies as only Amerindian. I don't think there is a white Mexican in Mexico who doesn't have Amerindian DNA, unless they recently migrated there. However, in places like Yucatan, Oaxaca, Guerrero and Chiapas, indigenous langauges are common and the indigenous people are pretty much the majority in the Southeast, and a substantial minority in the rest of the country except the north, where they are a small minority.

"In May 2009, Mexico's National Institute of Genomic Medicine issued a report on a genomic study of 300 mestizos from the states of Guerrero, Sonora, Veracruz, Yucatán, Zacatecas, and Guanajuato. The study found that the Mestizo population of these Mexican states were on average 55% of indigenous ancestry followed by 41.8% of European, 1.8% of African, and 1.2% of East Asian ancestry. The study also noted that whereas Mestizo individuals from the southern state of Guerrero showed on average 66% of indigenous ancestry, those from the northern state of Sonora displayed about 61.6% European ancestry. The study found that there was an increase in indigenous ancestry as one traveled towards to the Southern states in Mexico, while the indigenous ancestry declined as one traveled to the Northern states in the country, such as Sonora." - Wikipedia

To me this data seems more accurate. It pretty much coincides with what I posted before it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.