Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 07:01 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
With the increase in the numbers of hispanics in the U.S we hear about how they will change America. But how exactly?

I'm of the view that the increase in hispanic numbers is still playing itself out as far as its impact. I also wonder how impactful the increase in hispanics will be since hispanics aren't a single group of people but are made up of various people of different nationalities,cultures and races. This to me indicates that the Latino impact may vary and be more spread out.

The Latino impact/influence seems like it would be more clear if Latinos were actually a single group instead of being spread out among many different peoples because what may be more relevant to one group as far as consumer marketing,politics and other issues might not be as relevant to another. So how do you see the increase in hispanics affecting change in the U.S?
The majority of Latinos in the US are Mexican. Any change will quite likely have a skew toward the Mexican side outside of the northeast and Florida. Spanish will become a more widely used language than it already is. Mexicans, more than most other Latinos seem rather resistant to becoming completely Anglicized.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam4444 View Post
I agree with Antonio. It isn't an increase in Latino influence, but Mexican influence.
Depends on where. Most Hispanics in the Northeast and Florida aren't Mexican. And they don't have a small hispanic population there, either. New York is #3 in hispanic population, Florida #4, New Jersey not far behind.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Most of the Latino growth was fueled by immigration and most of that was basically Mexican immigration. Right now Mexican immigration is at an all time low point, so whatever growth of the Hispanic population will be natural growth. The meaning of this is that the newer Latino generations will be much more americanized than many people are anticipating and the actual Latino influence on the US culture will be less than what most people fear it will be.

This will happen as long as Mexican migration doesn't picks up again. If Mexican migration does picks up, then Latino influence will essentially be Mexican influence. Greater Mexican influence and power at all levels of US society.
Ok, ignore my post, this makes a bit more sense. However I will add that in areas with large Mexican populations, many second and third gens are still quite Latino because they can be.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Mexicans, more than most other Latinos seem rather resistant to becoming completely Anglicized.
Except 25% of Hispanics marry non-hispanics, and the numbers are higher once you look at US-born Hispanics, which suggests some integration. Blacks marry out far less, in comparison.

The Rise of Intermarriage - Page 7 | Pew Social & Demographic Trends - Page 7

Old 10-02-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I have a set of World Book encyclopedias from 1987. In the section on Mexican-Americans they have them and not 'Latinos' mentioned as the second largest minority group behind black-Americans at that time. I wonder at what point did the wording or description go from Mexican-Americans being the second largest minority to the use of the word Latino?
Latino has always been used but is a catch all for all. Even if you broke Latino down, Mexican-Americans were still the second largest group after blacks.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Except 25% of Hispanics marry non-hispanics, and the numbers are higher once you look at US-born Hispanics, which suggests some integration. Blacks marry out far less, in comparison.

The Rise of Intermarriage - Page 7 | Pew Social & Demographic Trends - Page 7
Forgive me. my perspective is skewed at the moment because I am currently 5 miles from the border. The grocery store I shop at is a Mexican store. 1/4 of the license plates some days are Baja California.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I have a set of World Book encyclopedias from 1987. In the section on Mexican-Americans they have them and not 'Latinos' mentioned as the second largest minority group behind black-Americans at that time. I wonder at what point did the wording or description go from Mexican-Americans being the second largest minority to the use of the word Latino?
It used be here that Puerto Rican was used as a synonym for Latino not Mexican, even into the 80s. I looked through old census documents of the Northeast for 1960 and they'd ask if someone was of Puerto Rican origin. Same line existed in the West but read "Mexican".

Old 10-02-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Forgive me. my perspective is skewed at the moment because I am currently 5 miles from the border. The grocery store I shop at is a Mexican store. 1/4 of the license plates some days are Baja California.
Are you serious? Or is your location not the Pacific Northwest [I did notice the Mexican population there, found some good at a few stores geared toward Mexican immigrants]?

Old 10-02-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Are you serious? Or is your location not the Pacific Northwest [I did notice the Mexican population there, found some good at a few stores geared toward Mexican immigrants]?
I've not changed it on my profile yet. I'm currently in Chula Vista, CA due to family issues.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:36 PM

263 posts, read 808,804 times
Not much will change. For the vast majority of the US "Hispanics" is entirely synonymous with Mexicans, and they have always been a part of US culture. Hispanics in general aren't coming in mass numbers like Mexicans. If you look at the stats, almost every other group separately doesn't even reach the one percentile. The only exception is Puerto Ricans who make up 1.6% of the US population, and that's surprisingly small considering they're US citizens so they can go there freely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas