Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 09:45 PM

288 posts, read 433,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Again people can say costa rica is overrated all they want. My issue is with you saying there is little culture in the rest of central America. That was an ignorant thing to say. You also said very little comes out of Central America yet you said you listen to Punta. So what is it???? You are either a self loathing Central American or some one talking smack as usual. Either way you clearly don't know much about Central America. Pretty much every time one of your posts pops up you are taking shots at central America.
You're one obtuse individual. I mentioned punta as something uniquely Central American. And like Antonio mentioned about bachata being much more recognized, that was the only point I was making. It never reached the same heights as some of the other genres that are closely related to their countries. Thats offensive or self loathing? Because I'm observant to the nuances and recognize why some people say the same things?

We went back and forth once because you said NYC Central Americans need to stop talking with Dominican slang, and I rebuttled with you on it. You went on this rant about how they shouldn't act like that. It's obvious this CA thing is a thorn to the two of us. So I think we should avoid it all together.

Last edited by Scientific; 10-12-2020 at 10:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 11:06 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
You're one obtuse individual. I mentioned punta as something uniquely Central American. And like Antonio mentioned about bachata being much more recognized, that was the only point I was making. It never reached the same heights as some of the other genres that are closely related to their countries. Thats offensive or self loathing? Because I'm observant to the nuances and recognize why some people say the same things?
Talk about obtuse......Forget about the music, offensive was saying there is very little culture in Central America. It's not even accurate.

Quote:
We went back and forth once because you said NYC Central Americans need to stop talking with Dominican slang, and I rebuttled with you on it. You went on this rant about how they shouldn't act like that. It's obvious this CA thing is a thorn to the two of us. So I think we should avoid it all together.
Only thorn is the disrespect and disdain from people like you and others. I will call people out when I see it.

Old 10-12-2020, 11:19 PM

288 posts, read 433,788 times
Then take aim at the other poster who said Panama had little to offer earlier in this thread. Have at it.

Old 10-12-2020, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
Then take aim at the other poster who said Panama had little to offer earlier in this thread. Have at it.
More obtuse talk.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:41 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times
Paraguay is nearly absent from the lists so far, I wonder why? Whatever you expect in Paraguay, I think you would find it "unexpacted". I just draw blanks when I try to think of ways to describe it. Isn't anybody curious?

Old 10-13-2020, 04:18 AM

10,086 posts, read 14,959,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Paraguay is nearly absent from the lists so far, I wonder why? Whatever you expect in Paraguay, I think you would find it "unexpacted". I just draw blanks when I try to think of ways to describe it. Isn't anybody curious?
I think the explanation is that Paraguay isn't as well known and it stands sort of isolated regarding this. Its neighbors are Brazil, Argentina, and Bolivia; countries that have an identity image that is so strong that they arise a certain set of images that Paraguay simply doesn't. This doesn't mean that it truly has no identity or that its not truly strong, but rather its not well known beyond itself and perhaps its neighbors. In order for people to be interest in a place, first they need to have certain expectations and that is something Paraguay doesn't have for most people. When it comes to expectations, they aren't always accurate but in some peoples minds some countries don't have even a negative one.

If we look at the actual arrival of international tourists (2018) it shows that Paraguay is in last place for Latin America and the Caribbean. This doesn't takes into account the origins of these international tourists. For example, in Mexico the overwhelming majority are from the USA, the same in Puerto Rico and Jamaica; while in Cuba the Europeans outnumber the North Americans by a wide margin and in recent years the USA gained a significant share in the Dominican Republic but traditionally it was dominated by Europe (especially Germany, France, and Spain). In Brazil tourists have a tendency to be from near countries such as Argentina.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...rist-arrivals/

In any case, I think a country needs a strong image to receive large quantities of international tourists. Not many people will travel to a place they don't have an idea what they will find, regardless if that idea is incorrect.

Old 10-13-2020, 03:33 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Top 5 places in 'Latin America' that you are interested in...
I've only spent time visiting in Mexico and working in Chile and I enjoyed both countries. Brazil seems interesting as well although I've never been there.

Some 20 years ago, I had even thought about retiring to coastal Chile but I'm too old now for those sorts of foolish thoughts.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:03 PM

424 posts, read 466,011 times
I have had the opportunity to visit Buenos Aires and Rio De Janeiro. The next cities in Latin America that I want to visit are:

Mexico City

Sao Paulo

Santiago De Chile

Havana

Bogota

Old 10-14-2020, 06:03 AM

10,086 posts, read 14,959,511 times
That photo you used for Havana is an old one. The Capitolio received a much needed maintenance including renovating its outside and now looks like new. A beautiful building that looks its best.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:51 AM

Sao Paulo looks massive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas