Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 04:17 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times

Advertisements

To say Central America lacks in culture is bull**** and an ignorant thing to say. Compared to where, I would like to know? Sure music from other places is popular, specially from Mexico. I will admit this is specially true in Guatemala. As far as bachata goes I have heard it in Guatemala but I don't think it has a huge following. Maybe it does in Honduras. Honestly i think merengue was much more popular back in the 90s but that was true in a lot of places not just Central America and its popularity is pretty much over. Reggaeton is popular everywhere but who cares. Is that how we measure culture in Latin America? As far as I know reggaeton has its roots in Jamaican dancehall.

Punta music is still popular in Honduras, Belice and Izabal Guatemala. But its popularity has died down else where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 05:30 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
In order of interest:

- Uruguay: Because of its relative stability and Punta del Este

- Chile: For its world-class wines, its 3000+ mile coast, topographic diversity, Chiloe, Rapa Nui, etc.

- Argentina: Curious about Tierra del Fuego, Ushuaia, Bariloche, and of course, Buenos Aires

- Paraguay: Curious about this barely mentioned nation who's history I know nothing about

- Peru: Machu Pichu, its food, its indigenous peoples and their Quechua and Aymara languages

Old 10-12-2020, 06:48 PM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 2 days ago)

449 posts, read 197,130 times
Brazil #1 for the past two decades: I am learning Portuguese so that I can relish discussions in Brazil.

Chile

Colombia : Learning Spanish so that I can enjoy daily life in these countries

Venezuela

Cuba

Old 10-12-2020, 06:52 PM

288 posts, read 433,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
To say Central America lacks in culture is bull**** and an ignorant thing to say. Compared to where, I would like to know? Sure music from other places is popular, specially from Mexico. I will admit this is specially true in Guatemala. As far as bachata goes I have heard it in Guatemala but I don't think it has a huge following. Maybe it does in Honduras. Honestly i think merengue was much more popular back in the 90s but that was true in a lot of places not just Central America and its popularity is pretty much over. Reggaeton is popular everywhere but who cares. Is that how we measure culture in Latin America? As far as I know reggaeton has its roots in Jamaican dancehall.

Punta music is still popular in Honduras, Belice and Izabal Guatemala. But its popularity has died down else where.
I dont think anyone said CA has 0 culture and I dont know why you have a hard time with why some people feel Panama, Costa Rica, or Guatemala is overrated to them (I had 2 of those on my list in this thread and defended them). Everyone has their own criteria on why certain places intrest them. I think some people feel that the region doesnt have much distinction compared to its neighbors. I can understand why.

If you love Latin Jazz? Odds are you go to Puerto Rico or Cuba for that type of vibe right? To each his own. I love Guate and Panama on my end.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
I dont think anyone said CA has 0 culture and I dont know why you have a hard time with why some people feel Panama, Costa Rica, or Guatemala is overrated to them (I had 2 of those on my list in this thread and defended them). Everyone has their own criteria on why certain places intrest them. I think some people feel that the region doesnt have much distinction compared to its neighbors. I can understand why.

If you love Latin Jazz? Odds are you go to Puerto Rico or Cuba for that type of vibe right? To each his own. I love Guate and Panama on my end.
I don't care if people feel those countries are overrated. My problem is with comments like this.

Quote:
& other than Panama, the rest of Central America doesnt have much in the way of cultural distinctions
You can not like the rest of Central America, that is perfectly ok, but to make such claims is wrong. I really do wish though, Central American would stop looking to the rest of Latin America though. The worst comments I have heard about Central Americans has not been from white North Americans or others but from other Latin Americans.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I don't care if people feel those countries are overrated. My problem is with comments like this.

You can not like the rest of Central America, that is perfectly ok, but to make such claims is wrong. I really do wish though, Central American would stop looking to the rest of Latin America though. The worst comments I have heard about Central Americans has not been from white North Americans or others but from other Latin Americans.
The cultural exchange and influence to and from CA is pretty one sided. A lot goes in, not much goes out. And it's hard to debate that, I get it. I mentioned Punta as a unique quality of the region. There's a ton of posts in other threads made about how overrated Costa Rica is to some people because of this very thing. Doesnt mean they're insulting the place.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
The cultural exchange and influence to and from CA is pretty one sided. A lot goes in, not much goes out. And it's hard to debate that, I get it. I mentioned Punta as a unique quality of the region. There's a ton of posts in other threads made about how overrated Costa Rica is to some people because of this very thing. Doesnt mean they're insulting the place.
Just because some people listen to music from other places, doesn't mean much cultural influence is coming in. Central Americans are not adopting cultural practices from other places. People don't listen to central american music in other places, so who gives a ****? Where are you even from anyways, you said you listen to punta...Are you actually a self loathing central American? Or just contradicting yourself?

This was wrong and pretty offensive....
Quote:
the rest of Central America doesnt have much in the way of cultural distinctions
Costa rica is what it is. It is one of the greatest countries in Latin America, Beautiful, natural beauty, no army, no guerillas, no cartels, or paracos etc etc. I would take it over most other Latin countries any day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHQAHSYHxA4

Old 10-12-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
This was wrong and pretty offensive....
Wrong is up to your interpretation ( I'm not the only one who's ever said this on here). Offensive? You cant be that sensitive if you feel that I or anyone who calls any country overrated or bland, as insulting the place. If I think Idaho is bland and boring, is that also offensive? I defended Panama with someone else.

And what difference does it make where I'm from. I enjoy visiting Central America, doesnt mean that theres subtlities between them some of us dont ignore. I know people who love Brazil and Cuba because of their cultures. And because of that, those places rank high to them. Music is a big part of that.

Quote:
Costa rica is what it is. It is one of the greatest countries in Latin America, Beautiful, natural beauty, no army, no guerillas, no cartels, or paracos etc etc. I would take it over most other Latin countries any day.
My man. Everyone knows this. No one is insulting anybody. So relax.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:26 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
1. Brazil. Ever since the 2016 Olympics were held in Rio, the shots of the beach and hills/mountains/assorted water nearby have absolutely enchanted me. I've been wanting to go ever since. Will visit Sao Paulo too.

2. Chile. Don't know what it is, but I feel an immense draw to go there. Want to see all of it, top to bottom.

3. Mexico. The nation of my ancestry, really just want to go down there and get lost for awhile.

4. Argentina. Do want to go to Buenos Aires, but don't really know where to go beyond there and the Iguazu Falls (honestly around here my interest begins to wane).

5. Guatemala. Looks beautiful, climate seems pretty good.

Wouldn't mind visiting Colombia or Venezuela (during different times) either.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Wrong is up to your interpretation ( I'm not the only one who's ever said this on here). Offensive? You cant be that sensitive if you feel that I or anyone who calls any country overrated or bland, as insulting the place. If I think Idaho is bland and boring, is that also offensive? I defended Panama with someone else.

And what difference does it make where I'm from. I enjoy visiting Central America, doesnt mean that theres subtlities between them some of us dont ignore. I know people who love Brazil and Cuba because their cultures.
And because of that, those places rank high to them. Music is a big part of that.

My man. Everyone knows this. No one is insulting anybody. So relax.

Again people can say costa rica is overrated all they want. My issue is with you saying there is little culture in the rest of central America. That was an ignorant thing to say. You also said very little comes out of Central America yet you said you listen to Punta. So what is it???? You are either a self loathing Central American or some one talking smack as usual. Either way you clearly don't know much about Central America. Pretty much every time one of your posts pops up you are taking shots at central America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas