Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2017, 04:55 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
No they will not. They consider themselves Caribbean and in some cases West Indian. Perhaps you can better educate yourself on the English-speaking Caribbean through the CARICOM website:

Caribbean Community (CARICOM) —Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Secretariat
This.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:19 PM

3 posts, read 2,205 times
Quote:
No they will not. They consider themselves Caribbean and in some cases West Indian. Perhaps you can better educate yourself on the English-speaking Caribbean through the CARICOM website:

My friend,I come from the caribbean.

Everyone in the caribbean consider themselves to be from the caribbean. But they also consider themselves to be latin americans.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:42 PM

3 posts, read 2,205 times
Quote:

Everyone in the caribbean consider themselves to be from the caribbean. But they also consider themselves to be latin americans.

We use the term caribbean to better specify where we come from,but latin american is also common.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:50 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,102,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdjuan View Post

We use the term caribbean to better specify where we come from,but latin american is also common.
Not the English Speaking Caribbean

Old 04-16-2017, 04:19 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdjuan View Post

Not necessarily true. I live in the Caribbean but I am not Latin American, despite having some Latin heritage. English-speaking Caribbean people generally call themselves West Indian.

What island are you from?

Old 04-29-2017, 07:59 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Puerto Ricans look very different from Jamaicans, and that's a clear dividing line. The majority of Puerto Ricans have more European ancestry than African or Native.

".

Loads of non Hispanic "blacks" can pass for your stereotypical Puerto Rican. Also put way those DNA tests. They represent a hypothetical person. There is so vast a range of phenotypes in PR that to use these as evidence really doesn't make your point. There are black people in Puerto Rico who could easily be mistaken for being from the Virgin Islands.

I am frequently mistaken for being a Dominican (and also a Haitian) even though I am Guyanese. Beyoncé can walk down a street in San Juan and those who don't know who she is (yes a few of those do exist) might think that she is a US based Puerto Rican visiting PR to see her abuela.

When you visit T&T you will see that its no shock that many Trinis can pass for a Puerto Rican, and if you arrive at Xmas don't be shocked to see people singing in Spanish, playing a cuatro, which Puerto Ricans swear is theirs.

My point to use is that there is some level of over lap and that the Spanish speaking Caribbean and parts of Brazil are a bridge between the non Hispanic Caribbean and areas in the Andes and other less Afro influenced parts of Latin America.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Not the English Speaking Caribbean

A Cuban once insisted to me that no one use "Caribbean" as a noun, but as an adjective.

Clearly there is different usage of this term in the Hispanic Caribbean (where they see themselves as Latin American, using "Caribbean" in a cultural and geographic sense) and the non Hispanic Caribbean, where the word "Caribbean" extends way beyond this.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Aruba is great I totally recommend it I'm in the eastern US I know people that go there once a year..it's like their favorite vacation spot and I'm talking people that have been all over the world. Not sure about the B and C island I've never been to those but I've never heard anything bad about them. Bonair is extremely laid back I think a lot of honeymooners go there going by someone I was talking to about it that is knowledgeable.

Curacao has the richest culture of the ABC with the capital being considered a UNESCO heritage site. Aruba is virtually like Scottsdale AZ. If some one wants to visit for cultural reasons Aruba is too much a tourist trap for that.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
I really would love visit Mauritius and Seychelles. Mauritian music, specifically sega, sounds like a mix of soca, chutney and zouk. The dance is similar and they have similar Creole dress as well.

https://youtu.be/OnHb1MyPYqo

https://youtu.be/mQ4BZcz8iYk

The beauty of youtube is that one can get an idea, though clearly not as much as actually visiting the islands, though they are so far away.

But I have always been intrigued by how "Caribbean" many of those islands which are located off the African coast are. I think the only difference is the much lower degree of US influence. Cabo Verde also has a "Caribbean" feel.

I have been told that the Indian Ocean French Creole is almost like that of the Caribbean.

All interesting given the fact that these societies are extremely isolated from each other. Just goes to show that under similar conditions a similar culture emerges.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:57 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Loads of non Hispanic "blacks" can pass for your stereotypical Puerto Rican. Also put way those DNA tests. They represent a hypothetical person. There is so vast a range of phenotypes in PR that to use these as evidence really doesn't make your point. There are black people in Puerto Rico who could easily be mistaken for being from the Virgin Islands.

I am frequently mistaken for being a Dominican (and also a Haitian) even though I am Guyanese. Beyoncé can walk down a street in San Juan and those who don't know who she is (yes a few of those do exist) might think that she is a US based Puerto Rican visiting PR to see her abuela.

When you visit T&T you will see that its no shock that many Trinis can pass for a Puerto Rican, and if you arrive at Xmas don't be shocked to see people singing in Spanish, playing a cuatro, which Puerto Ricans swear is theirs.

My point to use is that there is some level of over lap and that the Spanish speaking Caribbean and parts of Brazil are a bridge between the non Hispanic Caribbean and areas in the Andes and other less Afro influenced parts of Latin America.
No one is saying that that all Puerto Ricans look at the same. I've known BLOND and RED HAIRED Puerto Ricans, and yes I've known Puerto Ricans who were literally Black.

With that said, there's a huge base of light skinned Puerto Ricans with considerable white and native ancestry, and this base is much bigger than what you have among say African Americans and Jamaicans. Of course each country in the Americans differs somewhat. But if you want to be technical, you do have Black people in the Andes, just in much smaller numbers than the tropical coastal parts of South America.

As for Trinidad, its close to South America, so its not surprising some people speak Spanish.

Re: Dominican, there are Latinos who could call every Black person Dominican, because it has the highest percentage of Black people in a Spanish speaking country in Latin America. Colombia has more Black people, but not in the same percentage, and Venezuela likely also has more Black people, but with a lower percentage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas