Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 06:23 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times

Advertisements

this is an interest of mine as well and I have researched a few countries, I found Ecuador, Peru and Chile to be good choices for cost and ease of learning. The only thing about Ecuador that worries me is the instability and crime, I am not sure about these factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 09:26 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times
A great selection of Spanish schools catering to all kinds of needs can be found in Antigua, Guatemala. Of course, Guatemala has it's share of problems, but Antigua is considered very safe. It certainly provides a gorgeous backdrop.

If you want more Afro-Latino emphasis, most of Costa Rica is out. You will need to focus on Costa Rica's Caribbean side. There is a bit of crime there, but many people visit the area without ever having any problems.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:17 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
I have done a fair bit of research on the Amerispan site. It is supposed to be a place where you can find out about all sorts of language programs all over the world, and compare their offerings, but I am not sure if the site is promoting certain schools or how it works. But I think it's worth checking out - just google it. I prefer not to put the link.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:57 PM

380 posts, read 961,807 times
I did a study abroad to Cuernavaca, Mexico as another poster mentioned in 2006. There won't be an Afro-latino population like you desire but a great atmosphere. I was there when the current president was elected and who began the wars against the narcotraffickers so im unware of the safety issues. However it was a great experience and i was in class with people who were primarily older!!! Coincidentally, someone in their 60's from the same county as me. I ran into them on TWO seperate occasions back home years later. It is a small world.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,514 times
I would definitely consider learning Spanish in Argentina. The course level is very high in general (depending on the school of course). You could go to buenos aires, but there are also other places like Bariloche for example, in the middle of beautiful areas, there is a lot of skiing and snowboarding in that area as well. I've been there last year and went to a really nice school, called La montaña ([URL="http://www.lamontana.com"]www.lamontana.com[/URL]). Definitely recommended, but of course there are many other options, for sure. Personally I also really liked Buenos Aires as a city. I have been to Peru and Bolivia as well, but wouldn't know anything about Spanish courses there. Hope this helps in some way. [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Old 07-01-2010, 09:27 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
this is an interest of mine as well and I have researched a few countries, I found Ecuador, Peru and Chile to be good choices for cost and ease of learning. The only thing about Ecuador that worries me is the instability and crime, I am not sure about these factors.
Ecuador actually has a very stable political system. As for the crime it is similar to other places in South America.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:53 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Check out Easy Espanol. They are Jackson Heights-owned but offices are in midtown. They have a study program in Quito and Peru. Easy Espanol

The nice thing is that you could take a class or possibly even a free workshop with them here in NY to get a sense of how they run things. Then make up your mind if you want to do their study abroad program.
Thanks, I am following up with them since they also have intense studies locally.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:59 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,263 times
I heard from CNN that Chile has one of the most stable governments in South America, but I don't know if that country has recovered from the Earthquake that hit a few months ago. Also, the country doesn't seem to have African Latinos. According to the CIA World fact book the black populations are as follows in Latin America (I excluded some countries):

Nicaragua: 9%
Uruguay: 4%
Colombia: 4% and Mulatto - 14%
Ecuador: 3%
Costa Rica: 3%
Honduras: 2%
Puerto Rico: 6.9%
Cuba: 10.1%
Dominican Republic: 11%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas