Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:01 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times

Advertisements

State of Alaska - Permanent Fund Dividend Division
The Alaska Permanent Fund was established to invest a portion of the royalties that the State of Alaska receives off of natural resource extraction, mostly oil. The Fund is invested in a variety of ways, mostly the stock market and real estate. The current value of the Fund is $33 Billion
Each year a portions of the earnings of that fund are distributed to all eligible Alaska residents who apply. The amount goes up and down as the earnings go up and down. Last year it was $1300, but it's been as high as almost $2000. The checks usually come out in October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 11:10 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi_Girl. View Post
Hi there.

I was just reading all of the messages for the couple moving. and some of it was easy enough to understand. But what i need to know is. how long would it take for a New Zealand Resedent (me) to become an Alaskan Citizen and how expensive it is?

I need to know as much as possible as i plan to move to Eagle River one day in the future. At the moment I'm only 18 and making money just to get a new UK Passport.

Please help, i've asked my mam about it but she wasnt much help. also what does PDF or is it PFD? mean?
Go to the "legal immigration" Forum and the very first thread has a list of links to help with immigration stuff. Alaska is part of the US...therefore you'd need to marry a US citizen, get a work visa, or have about half million dollars to invest in starting your own company here to get to move over and stay.
You may also have the option for a greencard lottery in your country.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:16 PM

251 posts, read 679,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I wouldn't find someone wanting to register as a resident in Alaska so they can skip out on state taxes very nice. If this is not the OP's intention thats good and I apologize for my seemingly harsh remark. I don't know these people. How am I supposed to know what they are up too?
Forum shopping for states that are easy on personal taxes for retired people is actually a smart thing to do and is recommended on yahoo finance, once you are retired you are no longer tied to a job and a specific location so you can move somewhere that is not going to pilfer you into having to go back to work mid retirement for services you probably dont care about. Retired people live on fixed incomes and cant afford to be gouged with high taxes unless they are part of the super rich.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 12,338 times
How do I become a citizen of Alaska I want to be me and my wife got nothing to what we want to live in

Old 05-15-2010, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 12,338 times
thenks

Old 05-17-2010, 05:23 PM

57 posts, read 129,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I think you would need to be a US citizen first.
Actually legal resident would be enough (Green Card)

Old 05-17-2010, 05:48 PM

76 posts, read 153,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeak01 View Post
Actually legal resident would be enough (Green Card)
Depends if she marries an American, though. I am a legal resident alien and have had my green card for a while. I live in Oklahoma right now and pay Oklahoma State Tax, BUT my husband is a TX resident, so each year we file taxes I am put in as a Texas resident also. We were told ( years ago ) it would be the same if he switched to Alaska unless I get citizenship ( this could have changed by now ).

Old 05-18-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sava_baby View Post
Depends if she marries an American, though. I am a legal resident alien and have had my green card for a while. I live in Oklahoma right now and pay Oklahoma State Tax, BUT my husband is a TX resident, so each year we file taxes I am put in as a Texas resident also. We were told ( years ago ) it would be the same if he switched to Alaska unless I get citizenship ( this could have changed by now ).
Filing taxes is different.

If you live permanently in Alaska with a Green Card and intend to stay etc fulfilling all the requirements of the residency then you can and should be classified as a Texas resident. Same thing with you in Oklahoma. If you live and intend to stay there you should file as an Oklahoma resident. Now the exception could be that they likely have a "tax-treaty" between Oklahoma and Texas that voids this.

Green Card holder myself who has lived many different states with the wife in other states -- this subject I know very well

Old 05-18-2010, 05:12 PM

76 posts, read 153,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeak01 View Post
Filing taxes is different.

If you live permanently in Alaska with a Green Card and intend to stay etc fulfilling all the requirements of the residency then you can and should be classified as a Texas resident. Same thing with you in Oklahoma. If you live and intend to stay there you should file as an Oklahoma resident. Now the exception could be that they likely have a "tax-treaty" between Oklahoma and Texas that voids this.

Green Card holder myself who has lived many different states with the wife in other states -- this subject I know very well

That's interesting. Thank you. the H&R Block people always told me, that I am considered "out of state tax" automatically, because I don't claim a state and thus file under my husband's state which is Texas :-) ( they said it would always be whatever my husband's state was unless I become a citizen)

Old 05-18-2010, 05:30 PM

Well the issue is that you should claim a state. If you live in a state and work there they have very specific rules about being taxed and claiming it as a resident. You are a resident of the US even under a GC so no special rules. If you have a permanent residency in a different state then you can probably go as a NR in the state you are working in and go under your spouses taxes as resident in the other state.

The point is this isn't related to you being a GC holder. There are lots of tax rules and agreements between states. Like I worked in Illinois and my wife in Michigan -- well they have an agreement so I taxed like we both were in Michigan. It all depends on your situation, state laws etc -- the only clear thing is you are a resident like anyone else when it comes to taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage