Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 02:11 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blockus View Post
Mr bob's boat at parents house, Florida. picture from today.

Bob, I think you live by my brother. His boat is on a lift just like that on the water. I went and visited once. Nice view but too many people.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:19 PM

319 posts, read 963,572 times
Default ooooooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I'd like to know how he is going to get all this 'stuff' in that little car, (with his passengers), and still manage to sleep in there...
lets not go there gran

Old 03-30-2009, 07:56 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,362,977 times
Computer desk top, view sonic monitor, notebook computer, tent, sleeping bag, back pack, two luggage cases. tool box with road flairs and matches for camp fires. ax and saw. fishing pole and fishing net. plan to catch Salmon with fishing net. food back up supply in soft case cooler. This is what Mr bob will pack in his trunk of Ford Taurus. April 20 start from Florida.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:16 AM

13 posts, read 88,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blockus View Post
Homosassa, Florida to Healy, Alaska drive in April. any comments on long drive before summer season through Canada and on Alaska Highway? Gas stations open or close in some parts? camping and hotels and car rest stops. any other comments? thank you!

Bob,
Just made the drive from FL to Anchorage this month. Everyone has given you wondeful advice . The ALCON was much, much better then I had thought it would be with this time of year. A bit rough around the last 100 miles to the boarder though. I would most definatly get a mile post, it will be your bible along the way. Take your time, such beauty along the way, and the Bison (many, many) some right out in the ALCON itself. As for gas stations stop when ever you see one and even if your close to full stay that way we found that during March there were many mall stations and campgrounds that were closed for the season. There are places to stay but they are a bit limited. We tried to stay in larger areas for the night. Enjoy your trip and make sure you pack a camera....

Old 03-30-2009, 09:00 AM

167 posts, read 422,601 times
Bob,
I highly reccomend that you check out the Garmin GPS's on Amazon.com. Most of my family has a Garmin of some type and love them. Amazon has a comparison chart of the various features (like which ones have maps of Canada and AK included) if you click on one of the Garmin GPS's and scroll down the page. I suggest getting one with text to speech and the larger screen size. For example a 260w is only $173.99 with free shipping. Could save a lot of money! Yes indeed!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife252002 View Post
Bob,
Just made the drive from FL to Anchorage this month. Everyone has given you wondeful advice . The ALCON was much, much better then I had thought it would be with this time of year. A bit rough around the last 100 miles to the boarder though. I would most definatly get a mile post, it will be your bible along the way. Take your time, such beauty along the way, and the Bison (many, many) some right out in the ALCON itself. As for gas stations stop when ever you see one and even if your close to full stay that way we found that during March there were many mall stations and campgrounds that were closed for the season. There are places to stay but they are a bit limited. We tried to stay in larger areas for the night. Enjoy your trip and make sure you pack a camera....
Stiffnecked this is a good report. can you add to this? best advice always fill up gas tank all the time even when it's full or half full. Stiffnecked says stay in hotels that are more on the cheep side if one has choice.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2AK&ME View Post
Bob,
I highly reccomend that you check out the Garmin GPS's on Amazon.com. Most of my family has a Garmin of some type and love them. Amazon has a comparison chart of the various features (like which ones have maps of Canada and AK included) if you click on one of the Garmin GPS's and scroll down the page. I suggest getting one with text to speech and the larger screen size. For example a 260w is only $173.99 with free shipping. Could save a lot of money! Yes indeed!
We will see if GPS will work for Mr bob all the way up to Alaska. Still think the best one because of voice input. new tom tom GO 630.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3363266

Old 03-30-2009, 10:42 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife252002 View Post
Bob,
It's the Alcan! When can we see the pictures? I'm heading down next month to Seattle and then over to Montana to visit my brother and his family, can't wait. It'll be my 14th time on the highway!

Old 03-30-2009, 12:37 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Mr. B, Army wife came up in March, you will be coming toward end of April, more people traveling, more gas stations should be open, campgrounds??? not sure indeed Mr. B, not sure indeed...

Old 03-30-2009, 01:12 PM

167 posts, read 422,601 times
Bob,
Here is Amazon's price
TomTom GO 630 4.3-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator

Other products by TomTom
[SIZE=1]No customer reviews yet. [/SIZE][SIZE=1]Be the first.[/SIZE] | [SIZE=1]More about this product[/SIZE]
List Price:$299.95 Price:[SIZE=4]$249.95[/SIZE] & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

I'm not trying to push Amazon, I just like saving money (even if it is not mine)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage