Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 5,013 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just found out we are moving from the panhandle of florida to Elmendorf AFB. It's a huge move for us and any advice would be appreciated. We plan on driving and towing a small trailer and taking our three dogs. Is it easier to take the ferry or drive through Canada? What preperations do we need for the ferry/ boarder crossing? Thanks for any advice.
-Clint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 10:28 AM

153 posts, read 462,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintpb16 View Post
Is it easier to take the ferry or drive through Canada? What preperations do we need for the ferry/ boarder crossing? Thanks for any advice.
-Clint

Hey! How about that. ANOTHER AF family heading to Elmendorf. When are you going? Because that will probably dictate the best route for you.

As for finding information here, use the nifty little search thinger up in the control bar for anything by warptman (he has a whole buttload of links prepared for n00bs like us), or just read most of the entries on the first page of the Alaska/Anchorage forum. There's LOTS there.

Also, order the Milepost book!

Here's a good thread to start with- April Drive.

Here's the Elmendorf Newcomer's Guide (http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/8d5da3bd#/8d5da3bd/1 - broken link).

Here's the Housing thinger that is from base housing.

Couldn't tell you about the ferry, but MommaF8 took the ferry with her huge family, so she could tell you.. if she weren't so busy settling in

Shan - who is driving up from south-central Texas, also with a small trailer and a husband + kid which = 3 dogs....

Last edited by browncoatflan; 03-10-2009 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: spellingks.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:30 PM

119 posts, read 387,375 times
From the east coast, it is probably faster and less expensive to drive. The ferry can be fun, but some don't enjoy several days on it, some love it. If you plan to live on base, you might check with Elmendorf Housing, they may have a two dog limit. Traveling through Canada takes some planning, health certificates for the dogs, firearm restrictions, passports,etc, there are several threads on this. If you decide on the ferry (Alaska Marine Highway) make sure you have a reservation, and get a stateroom.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:18 AM

153 posts, read 462,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNana View Post
From the east coast, it is probably faster and less expensive to drive. The ferry can be fun, but some don't enjoy several days on it, some love it. If you plan to live on base, you might check with Elmendorf Housing, they may have a two dog limit. Traveling through Canada takes some planning, health certificates for the dogs, firearm restrictions, passports,etc, there are several threads on this. If you decide on the ferry (Alaska Marine Highway) make sure you have a reservation, and get a stateroom.

They do have a 2-pet limit.

Shan

Old 03-11-2009, 01:03 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
By all means, drive up! You will love the Alcan. Don't bother driving to the west coast, come up through either Manitoba or Saskatchewan/Alberta/BC/Yukon, a direct route.

YouTube - Marshall Tucker Band Take The Highway

Old 03-11-2009, 05:55 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,653 times
I agree with the comment that the Ferry can be kind of long - especially once you have gotten into the "driving groove." There is lots of housing on Elmendorf. Much of it is fairly new. Given the economy (although its not as bad as it is in other parts of the country), I'd consider buying if that is an option for you. Its a buyers market. Lots of houses to choose from.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:13 PM

138 posts, read 428,365 times
The ferry was not fun. The food was gross and over priced. The views were great but it was like being stuck on an extra long international flight; well, international flights have better food and the movie selection is way better. My husband and I drove to Washington and took the ferry. We got here in February. If you are leaving when it is Spring, you could do the whole ALCAN thing. But make sure you carry $500 cash on you and be ready to drive for stretches of miles (100) where you don't see a gas station. Fill up every chance you get!

Old 03-16-2009, 12:56 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
I concur with everyone else about driving up instead of taking the ferry. The ferry takes longer and costs more than driving. If you have problems getting into Canada (a past DUI for example) then the ferry may be your only option.

If you do decide to drive, be sure you have your passport. You will also need to obtain a veterinarian health certificate for your dogs that is not older than 30 days.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:29 PM

25 posts, read 98,522 times
Everyone is right about the drive - its much faster and probably cheaper. I am actually taking that drive from Anchorage to VA Beach when I move next month. I hear it's pretty descent this time of year. Good luck in your move!

Old 03-30-2009, 02:12 PM

13 posts, read 88,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintpb16 View Post
My wife and I just found out we are moving from the panhandle of florida to Elmendorf AFB. It's a huge move for us and any advice would be appreciated. We plan on driving and towing a small trailer and taking our three dogs. Is it easier to take the ferry or drive through Canada? What preperations do we need for the ferry/ boarder crossing? Thanks for any advice.
-Clint

clintpb16,
Just made the drive from FL to Anchorage this month. We are a military family as well. Stationed at Ft. Ricardson. The ALCON was much, much better then I had thought it would be with this time of year. A bit rough around the last 100 miles to the boarder though. We towed a small boat with trailer. I would most definatly get a mile post, it will be your bible along the way. Take your time, such beauty along the way, and the Bison (many, many) some right out in the ALCON itself. As for gas stations stop when ever you see one and even if your close to full stay that way we found that during March there were many gas stations and campgrounds that were closed for the season. There are places to stay but they are a bit limited. We tried to stay in larger areas for the night. Enjoy your trip and make sure you pack a camera....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage