Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 04:52 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,454,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post

Do you think it might be a Sears Kit House?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 07:26 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,933,800 times
I was looking at the auditor's page again and I'm going to believe the 1940 date. You could always go down to the courthouse and check, but the houses all around that house were built anywhere between 1919 and 1960. From what I saw most of them were built between 1935 and 1945, which is exactly the time frame I figured for this neighborhood based on what I know about the history of the town. Typically the further south you go on that street the newer the houses are, but the crapper the neighborhood (also the smaller the houses).

Old 08-28-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
I was looking at the auditor's page again and I'm going to believe the 1940 date. You could always go down to the courthouse and check, but the houses all around that house were built anywhere between 1919 and 1960. From what I saw most of them were built between 1935 and 1945, which is exactly the time frame I figured for this neighborhood based on what I know about the history of the town. Typically the further south you go on that street the newer the houses are, but the crapper the neighborhood (also the smaller the houses).
Can you look at this online? It's not impossible that this is the date and the surrounding homes are a mix of exactly what you say late teens through very early 60s.

Certain architectural features seemed older and very few houses were built after 1941 - anywhere due to WWII.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:55 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
If it is I've never seen another one like it. Not that I'm an expert but I've seen a lot of Sears kit houses. (Including the one Richard Nixon was born in, lol.)

I just looked through a book that had 600 Craftsman/Bungalow/Cottage style houses to see if I could find a clue for you. Not one looked like "yours".

Was the second floor added later? In some photos it doesn't match at all. And the roof line - first photo - (no eves) isn't how a Craftsman was built. The more I look at the pictures the more I think bits and pieces were added over time.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-28-2012 at 09:07 PM..

Old 08-28-2012, 09:28 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,933,800 times
I'm thinking the same thing as above, I'm thinking there are addons.......most houses around that one seem smaller..........
Trumbull County, Ohio: Online Auditor - Home <-----this will help.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:52 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
Quote:
The info says Sears kits were from 1904-40....Could be...check the links I listed. They also give info on where to look for stamps on rafters and such in the house.
Here is one....lists era's and descriptionshttp ://www.ragtime.org/arch/index.html(not so helpful)
EXCELLENT LINK...http://architecture.about.com/od/per.../House-Styles/

Meanwhile, just saw this on another thread...looks like it scores an area for walkability. Hoping it will help w/ your new location search. Walk Score of 15200 Magnolia St Westminster CA 92683

Last edited by JanND; 08-29-2012 at 08:24 AM..

Old 08-29-2012, 09:05 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Quote:
Certain architectural features seemed older and very few houses were built after 1941 - anywhere due to WWII.
That depends on the area. In Califronia for example, there was a residential explosion during the war becuase they needed to house all of the GIs, seamen and airmen being trained there. The materials were genrally substandard and it apepars they did not care about permits or inspections.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:05 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,489,514 times
I believe the style of the house is--loosely--Dutch Colonial Revival, with Craftsman elements. I could be wrong, but I doubt the house was majorly overhauled to make it look like it does today, it seems there would be more evidence of such a big change on the interior. 1940 seems rather late, based on the interior finishes, though. I think it's from the 20s-30s.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That depends on the area. In Califronia for example, there was a residential explosion during the war becuase they needed to house all of the GIs, seamen and airmen being trained there. The materials were genrally substandard and it apepars they did not care about permits or inspections.
Yes, but wouldn't there typically be other identical and as you say "substandard" quickly slapped together homes built to house the troops? This isn't the case in this area. Most houses are unique in this neighborhood. I can't even call it a subdivision because that would imply uniformity and planning = as well as similar homes.

The other homes are a mixture of Dutch Colonial 1920s 30s homes, late 50s 60s brick and cedar ranchers with fireplaces, 1920s 30s foursquares , 30s and 40s brick capes.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:54 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Quote:
Yes, but wouldn't there typically be other identical and as you say "substandard" quickly slapped together homes built to house the troops? This isn't the case in this area. Most houses are unique in this neighborhood. I can't even call it a subdivision because that would imply uniformity and planning = as well as similar homes.

The other homes are a mixture of Dutch Colonial 1920s 30s homes, late 50s 60s brick and cedar ranchers with fireplaces, 1920s 30s foursquares , 30s and 40s brick capes.
Yes. Plus I think you said it was in Ohio. Not a lot of training there during WWII to my knowlege.

I would be willing to bet a nice lunch that it is not from the 1920s or early 1930s. The materials and elements do not match that time. More likely a late 1930s or 1940s house build reminiscient of older styles using more modern materials and ideas. Are there any light fixtures that appear to be original? What type of wiring/insulation does it have? Lightening arrestors? Coal chute? Thase types of things can be very good clues, but sometimes misleading if you cannot determine whether they were original or later additions. Flooring wll also tell you a lot once you can get to it. Also if you cna find a plaster wall with a hole cut into it (like for an outlet box) you cna often learn a lot by the typ eand thickness of the plaster and the lath. Diamond lath, definitely 1940s or newer, but it could be replacement. Wood lath - tells you very little. Horsehair plaster - check with your local Historical society and find out when it was used in your areas (in some places they kept using it much longer than in others). Also if there are other houses in the area fomr various time periods, where the date of cosntruciton is known, try to get inside them and see what is original. Usually you will find many features from the same time period are the same becasue they used the same builder or bought from the same store or catalogue. In onle old house I had, five homes form the smae time period had the exact same doors even though we could never find any similar doors anywhere else. They were probably made on site by the same guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum