Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,308 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, i stumbled across the board after doing some searching. I am trying to find out some information on Arizonas rules for taking the learners permit test.

I have a friend that has some disabilities, he is over 20 years old, and he is trying to take the written test to get his learners permit. He has made many attempts to take the test on his own, but because of his inability to easily comprehend the test questions, he has failed it every time. He has beens studying religiously with the help of a friend, and understands the material, but when it comes to reading the questions and understanding what they are asking he has a very hard time.

He has asked the DMV to read the test to him, and they have agreed, considering his disability. The only problem is that instead of reading it to him in the nice quiet room where he would normally take his test, they have him take his test out in the open lobby, where children are running wild and it is everything but quiet. He struggles even to hear the questions, and when asking to please repeat the question he gets an attitude. He has asked numerous times for a quite are to take the test and they refuse him.

What i am interested in knowing here, is if there are any rules pertaining to having tests read in the DMV. I could not find anything anywhere on the DMV website, and maybe one of you could point me in the right direction. I would like to talk to the people at the DMV for him with some actual facts that they need to provide a quiet working area, but i have no facts and no idea how the whole thing works. Please let me know if you have any facts or even any ideas for us. Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 12:47 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,859,035 times
If your friend gets that frustrated with taking a test in a noisy environment, even with questions verbally asked, how is he going to be able to handle a vehicle on the road with cars, trucks, emergency vehicles zipping by, etc., when snap decisions and reactions sometimes need to happen?

Old 05-21-2010, 08:54 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,420,663 times
No offense, but it sounds like his disability would impair his driving abilities, do you really think he should or can legally be driving?

Old 05-21-2010, 11:11 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,837,587 times
This has got to be a troll, but just in case it's not... If you can't pass the test, you don't get to drive! Simple as that!

Old 05-22-2010, 09:17 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,477,903 times
Well for the heck of it I will respond. Most if not all MVD's don't have separate rooms. Currently there is a shortage of Cust service folks so that can be a problem.
I would suggest contacting them at
E-mail Response System Use our secure e-mail response system which encrypts your personal information. We receive a large volume of requests every day. Each one is important to us, so we make every attempt to answer within 10 business days. Thank you in advance for your patience.
Call Us Monday – Friday (except on state holidays and state designated furlough days)
8:00 am to 5:00 pm
(Customers on hold by 4:30 pm will be served.)

Phoenix: 602-255-0072 Tucson: 520-629-9808 Elsewhere in Arizona: 800-251-5866
Hearing/Speech Impaired TDD Phoenix 602-712-3222 Hearing/Speech Impaired TDD Elsewhere 800-324-5425

Old 06-16-2010, 01:04 AM

1 posts, read 7,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CesarDrivingLicense View Post
Hey everyone, i stumbled across the board after doing some searching. I am trying to find out some information on Arizonas rules for taking the learners permit test.

I have a friend that has some disabilities, he is over 20 years old, and he is trying to take the written test to get his learners permit. He has made many attempts to take the test on his own, but because of his inability to easily comprehend the test questions, he has failed it every time. He has beens studying religiously with the help of a friend, and understands the material, but when it comes to reading the questions and understanding what they are asking he has a very hard time.

He has asked the DMV to read the test to him, and they have agreed, considering his disability. The only problem is that instead of reading it to him in the nice quiet room where he would normally take his test, they have him take his test out in the open lobby, where children are running wild and it is everything but quiet. He struggles even to hear the questions, and when asking to please repeat the question he gets an attitude. He has asked numerous times for a quite are to take the test and they refuse him.

What i am interested in knowing here, is if there are any rules pertaining to having tests read in the DMV. I could not find anything anywhere on the DMV website, and maybe one of you could point me in the right direction. I would like to talk to the people at the DMV for him with some actual facts that they need to provide a quiet working area, but i have no facts and no idea how the whole thing works. Please let me know if you have any facts or even any ideas for us. Thank you very much!
If they refused him a quite place to take his Mod Cut: No links with less than 10 posts. permit test </a> then try talking to the supervisor, because even he is disabled, dmv had to give him proper setting to take a test.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 06-16-2010 at 09:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: