Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 06:52 PM

16 posts, read 43,723 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving to a warmer climate and have narrowed it down to (due to husbands work) to Valdosta, GA area or Kingman, AZ area.
I am coming from Ypsilanti, MI which is between Ann Arbor and Detroit.
We have two kids, 9 and 12.

My nephew who visits my sister in Kingman says he missed the grass and trees we have here. I know I will have lots of that in GA but I don't like the humidity. I can handle heat. I can't handle any more snow.

We want a small town feel with some city amenities and good health care.
I like a nice library system too but it's not a deal breaker.

I read some very nice things about Valdosta, Ga but am just starting to look at Kingman, AZ.

Does anyone have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 07:13 PM

81 posts, read 354,951 times
i've only driven through kingman on i-40 a couple of times on the way to vegas so i can't give you anything other than my impressions from that.
it was hot, it was brown, and i was glad to know i didn't live there. it is close to vegas and laughlin though. there are some nice lakes nearby also. plus the grand canyon and flagstaff are fairly nearby, so i would say there are worse places to live, but kingman didn't look like the place i'd want to spend my days.
you say you have a sister in kingman though, i'd choose family over green grass and trees anyday.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:23 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,517,566 times
Kingman seems like a nice town. I don't live there, but I enjoy "passing through".
As far as trees, there are tons and tons of trees just a day-trip away.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:52 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,281 times
The desert has a beauty all its own. You have to get past the idea that only grass and trees are nice to look at. A desert in bloom is breathtaking.

I grew up in NYC, and I lived right next to the East river (Long Island sound) I played in the marshes every day, exploring and just being a kid. It took me many years to see the desert as anything other than hot and brown.

My parents lived in Kingman for many years, it is a little greener than where I am , and you can be in the Hualipai mtns in about 20 minutes, and there are pinetrees there. A little more time puts you in the forests around Ashfork, Williams and Flagstaff.

Curly

Old 08-24-2010, 10:03 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Anybody who says Kingman lacks trees needs to get out of the house more.

The Hualapai mountain range is heavily forested. The Hualapais are all BLM and Park lands, completely accessible to the public, and typically run 10 to 15 degrees cooler than in town. So it's a fantastic place to escape the heat, and just 15 minutes up into the mountains straight out of town.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly5759 View Post
The desert has a beauty all its own. You have to get past the idea that only grass and trees are nice to look at. A desert in bloom is breathtaking.

I grew up in NYC, and I lived right next to the East river (Long Island sound) I played in the marshes every day, exploring and just being a kid. It took me many years to see the desert as anything other than hot and brown.

My parents lived in Kingman for many years, it is a little greener than where I am , and you can be in the Hualipai mtns in about 20 minutes, and there are pinetrees there. A little more time puts you in the forests around Ashfork, Williams and Flagstaff.

Curly
Right on, Curly. Don't forget that the Hualapais also have big groves of Aspen trees that turn bright yellow in the fall, along with other deciduous trees as well. (I have pictures, somewhere....)

Old 08-24-2010, 10:21 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,228,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Anybody who says Kingman lacks trees needs to get out of the house more.

The Hualapai mountain range is heavily forested. The Hualapais are all BLM and Park lands, completely accessible to the public, and typically run 10 to 15 degrees cooler than in town. So it's a fantastic place to escape the heat, and just 15 minutes up into the mountains straight out of town.
beautiful picture!

Old 08-24-2010, 10:35 PM

16 posts, read 43,723 times
The trees look so different but that is kindof what I am looking for, a change! The pictures were beautiful. I plan on visiting next Feb. (if I get a nice tax refund). I am ready for less winter and some cold weather sounds like a nice change. Although it probably won't feel too cold to us after a Michigan winter.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:44 PM

Next to a Michigan winter it should seem downright tropical here. Though it does get down to freezing here at night some times, and with the wind can really be pretty darn chilly. Most of the winter a light jacket will do though.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:11 AM

339 posts, read 832,766 times
I don't miss the trees at all. I love the palm trees and cactuses. They have a beauty all of their own. Nature doesn't have to be green to look pretty. I love these pretty purple cactuses.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a248/SkyeLeigh/Purplecactus.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona