Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 01:23 PM

932 posts, read 1,964,004 times

Advertisements

Well if the OP feels cold on a 60 degree day, he's in for suprise as the average winter high for Phoenix is between 55-65 degrees. Low is 30-45 degrees. Summers can be hell, but if you don't do anything it will drag on forever. Keep yourself occupied, spend some time outside in 110 degrees (Hydrate and get used to the heat), and just remember the city really comes alive after 7 pm during summer.
As for the state having 100 degree days in summer, really just limits it to the extreme west, south west, Phoenix and Tucson areas. Other than that you have about 60% of the state that doesn't recieve 100s during summer. And about 50% of that is forested or beatuiful mountains or both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,160 times
There is a variety of temps and environment in AZ. Mostly based on elevation. Northern areas like Flagstaff are not as hot, have pine trees. Average daily temp there is in the 80's during the summer. Winter average coldest couple months in the 40's. They do get some snow in winter. At times in the winter you can walk around with a sweater/sweatshirt during the day. In Sedona/Cottonwood area, it can get into the 100's - but nowhere as often as Phoenix. Maybe a dusting of snow will happen there in the winter - once or twice. Warmer than Flag - average temps during summer in the 90's. Winter average in the 50's. Also, there is quite a drop from daytime temps to evening temps. The desert doesn't hold in heat. Phoenix is very hot in summer cooling down *some* in the evenings. Winters are more pleasant there. Very desert looking with cactus, e.t.c.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:54 PM

260 posts, read 511,773 times
In my opinion Global Warming is all over now, and the Obama government will call it now; Global Climate Disruption. And the Royal Society in the UK also said, that they are uncertain about the science of Global Warming, and this summer was the coolest summer in California.The new ice age already started last year, in August. The Bilderberg group also talked about the new ice age at their last meeting. This new climate change will effect the weather everywhere, but I hope it will make the Arizona summers more comfortable.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:02 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Well if the OP feels cold on a 60 degree day, he's in for suprise as the average winter high for Phoenix is between 55-65 degrees. Low is 30-45 degrees. Summers can be hell, but if you don't do anything it will drag on forever. Keep yourself occupied, spend some time outside in 110 degrees (Hydrate and get used to the heat), and just remember the city really comes alive after 7 pm during summer.
As for the state having 100 degree days in summer, really just limits it to the extreme west, south west, Phoenix and Tucson areas. Other than that you have about 60% of the state that doesn't recieve 100s during summer. And about 50% of that is forested or beatuiful mountains or both.
You forgot to add, "no jobs" to the list or else we all sound crazy for not living there. lol lol

Old 10-05-2010, 10:34 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Well if the OP feels cold on a 60 degree day, he's in for suprise as the average winter high for Phoenix is between 55-65 degrees. Low is 30-45 degrees.
No isn't.
The average high for Phoenix in December is 70 with an average low of 44
The average high in January is 67 with an average low of 45.
The average high in February is 70 with an average low of 48.
The averages you listed NEVER occur as AVERAGES.

I'm sure there are DAYS when the high only gets to 55 in January, but in order to have an average high of 67, then for each of those days there has to be another day when an individual day gets up to 79 (or 2 days where it gets up to 73 etc).

It may FEEL like it's only 55-65 to YOU, but that's only because you are acclimated to the heat and ANY cooler day probably feels cold to YOU. but the fact is, the average temps you listed are just plain wrong. Heck, I get an average January high of 60 even out on my land near Benson - and I'm at 4,200 feet. It's bound to be a heck of a lot milder in Phoenix that only sits a 1,000 feet or so.

Ken

Old 10-05-2010, 10:19 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,030,232 times
I notice the temps in phx & tucson are now in the upper 80s & the lows in the upper 60s. Thats a 20 degree drop from a few days or so back.

I bet the 100 degree days are over with until next may.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:13 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
81f and raining here today

Old 10-06-2010, 02:39 PM

894 posts, read 2,202,719 times
Currently 82 and cloudy in Buckeye. Very nice. Windows are still open, A/C is off.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:01 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,873 times
67 degrees is cold to me lol. When iwenrt to Salt Lake City last Christmas I almost froze to death!

Old 10-10-2010, 12:21 AM

932 posts, read 1,964,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
No isn't.
The average high for Phoenix in December is 70 with an average low of 44
The average high in January is 67 with an average low of 45.
The average high in February is 70 with an average low of 48.
The averages you listed NEVER occur as AVERAGES.

I'm sure there are DAYS when the high only gets to 55 in January, but in order to have an average high of 67, then for each of those days there has to be another day when an individual day gets up to 79 (or 2 days where it gets up to 73 etc).

It may FEEL like it's only 55-65 to YOU, but that's only because you are acclimated to the heat and ANY cooler day probably feels cold to YOU. but the fact is, the average temps you listed are just plain wrong. Heck, I get an average January high of 60 even out on my land near Benson - and I'm at 4,200 feet. It's bound to be a heck of a lot milder in Phoenix that only sits a 1,000 feet or so.

Ken
I was using January as the averages. It hardly ever, if at all, gets hotter then 70 during the day between December and Feburary if at all. LIVING in Phoenix all my life I am a weather freak and I check the weather every single day and I can remember Phoenix had only one or two 70 degree days between Janurary 3rd and Janurary 19th. It rained much of the time between Janurary 20th and March 7th so the temps could hardly break 70. Plus I don't live in the inner city of Phoenix. I use Phoenix as the general point of my location. I live in the far fetched, wide suburbs of east Mesa so temps out in this part drop drastically than at Sky Harbor during the night. I've been in 16 degree weather here while it was 25 in Downtown Phoenix in 2007.
Average Janurary high in Mesa is 66 and average low is 41.
And why do you think I gave a 10 degree difference? Because not every winter day in Phoenix will be 65. One can be 57, the next could be 63, then the next 68. Let me ask you, have you ever been to Phoenix or lived here? It's not just me who feels it's cold either.
The elevation of Los Angles is 317 feet yet the average high in Janurary is 68 and low is 50. Elevation has nothing to do with the fact that Phoenix's winters average in the 50s and 60s during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona