Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 02:36 PM

5 posts, read 9,061 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am a single person in my early 50's looking to possibly relocate to Anthem in the Phoenix, AZ area. Can anyone chime in and tell me what they think of the area/neighborhoods/ and cost of HOA vs. amenities?
I don't have to drive much as I work from home. So the distance from downtown, etc. doesn't really matter too much...Unless I take a class at ASU... Thanks!

Last edited by Christine Conf; 11-05-2010 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: Title change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 03:23 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
This should be in the Phoenix forum, perhaps a moderator will move it for you... you will get more responses, perhaps, over there as well.

I don't know why you'd want to live out there as opposed to any number of other conveniently located areas in the Valley, including some without HOA's. I think we'd have to know more about what you are looking for in terms of a home, what you like to do in your spare time, how much you love driving, why Anthem appeals to you, etc.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:41 AM

Default Anthem

Thanks, this is my first time using CDF so I'm just learning.
Anthem....thought it would be a safe, beautiful, environment. Like to play golf some and want to be in a place where there is social so I can meet other people living in my area. I also like that is is a somewhat new area.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:59 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,519,343 times
Anthem is nice. There are a number of other neighborhoods that are just as nice or better. I wouldn't limit a search to just Anthem, but certainly include it in your search.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:51 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Conf View Post
Thanks, this is my first time using CDF so I'm just learning.
Anthem....thought it would be a safe, beautiful, environment. Like to play golf some and want to be in a place where there is social so I can meet other people living in my area. I also like that is is a somewhat new area.
I don't think of Anthem as being a particularly great place to meet people, other than your immediate surrounding neighbors, who may or may not be particularly outgoing people. There are lots of safe, beautiful areas in the Valley that don't require driving to get to anything but the typical basic shopping and a few restaurants-- including most of the golf courses in the Valley, unless you like playing the same one over and over again. Keep Anthem on your list, but don't limit yourself.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:39 PM

142 posts, read 933,748 times
You're 50 and single? What are you looking for? We have friends who live in Pebble Creek in Goodyear, AZ. Lots of great working older single folks out there. Litchfield Park around the Wigwam Resort has a lot to offer, as well.

I live in the Arrowhead area which is around 67th Ave and the 101. We have a great area for folks in that age group, too, but I really don't know what it would be like for singles. I personally like the Anthem area to a degree but what I don't like is that there is only one artery in and out(I 17) and the traffic and accidents can sometimes hinder your freedom especially on weekends.

Good luck finding an area, just don't limit yourself to Anthem. There's many other areas out there including Scottsdale and North Phoenix that may also work for you.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:06 AM

80 posts, read 289,357 times
We also were attracted to Anthem before moving here. It is a beautiful development. When we did start to really look around at all of the choices that are available we chose to buy in Gilbert. For us it was the difference in surrounding ammenitys. Everything is so convienent here vs the long drive from anthem. Yes, Anthem does have the basics close by, but limited choices. Good Luck, hope you find what you want.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:00 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,571,227 times
The problem might be perception: 50 is the new 40, is the new catch phrase. I am in my 50s and know an older guy in his 50s who is very unhealthy and acts as though he's on death's door. Yet I am very active and have been told by women in their 30s that I look to be in my 30s.

I hate to pigeonhole myself. I would also not want to be the youngest person in a retirement community. I'd want to live right by a college and be subjected to the hip hop music when I'm older. Young people keep you young.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:05 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,519,343 times
Do you like Christmas trees? The tallest Christmas Tree in the U.S. is at the Outlet Mall there....

Old 11-13-2010, 10:09 AM

Default Great info, thanks!

Howard, great point! I wanted to look at the Anthem area because I want VIEWS! I want to look at the beautiful AZ desert. (It really is pretty!) But, you are right, maybe I want to be closer to the "action", ASU, etc. I do not want to become a lonely old woman!! And yes, I'm like 40 something too!!! Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona