Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 01:17 PM

4 posts, read 7,088 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
My boyfriend and I want to move from Nevada to somewhere warmer in the winters but with lots of fun outdoors stuff to do! We love hiking, hunting, fishing, camping, kayaking etc! What parts of AZ do you recommend for a 30 year old couple who wants to start a family soon? We don't want to live right in the middle of a huge city but maybe half an hour outside where we could still have an acre or two maybe a horse? With good public school systems.
Any help you can give would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
LC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 03:54 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
I would say Kingman for sure, except for possibly the temperature. It depends on where in Nevada you live. Kingman is cooler than Las Vegas, but warmer than northern Nevada. I would bring up the weather.com 10 day forecast for Kingman and compare that to the forecast for your area. Otherwise, the schools are probably as mediocre as most places in AZ, with the exception of a couple of elementary schools that are really good. I would make it a point to get into one of those districts if you have kids that age. Recreational activities here abound. Excellent off-roading right out your door, endless mountain trails to explore, a big county park in the mountains, and tons of boating within an hour radius.

Last edited by kdog; 12-27-2010 at 04:03 PM..

Old 12-27-2010, 05:25 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
if you want to be a bit outside of a city and have some land, have a place for horses, and be in a warm place, you may want to try the New River/Black Canyon City/Rock Springs area several miles N of Phoenix off I-17 and just N of Anthem....don't know about the schools, though.....in fact, there are several areas in all directions just outside of the built-up urban area of Phoenix that might appeal....Apache Junction, Buckeye, Goodyear, and others, though it could be argued these three towns are "within" the Phx area....I only mention the New River, etc. towns because I drive by them sometimes and it's a very pretty area.....

are you coming from northern NV?.....because southern NV is certainly a warm area already!

Old 12-27-2010, 06:48 PM

158 posts, read 517,131 times
I suggest Tonto Basin, by Lake Roosevelt.Moderator cut: advertising. Horses welcome. The temperature is about 10 to 15 degrees cooler than Phoenix, up the road about 30 miles is Payson, another nice town about 15 to 20 degrees cooler than Tonto Basin. Lots of rivers and trails, a good place for kids to grow up. Tonto Basin is about 45 miles from Fountain Hills, Mesa, Scottsdale.

Last edited by Kimballette; 12-27-2010 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: no advertising - use classified ads forum for this

Old 12-27-2010, 06:55 PM

158 posts, read 517,131 times
you should know warm winters mean very very hot summers. What type of work do you do? What do you want to pay for this acre to two acres? Tonto Basin is next to the Tonto Forrest, Lots of Elk, deer, antelope, havalena, bear, mountain lion, and many other animals. Plenty of fish too. Lots of trails, It's an activity center.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:30 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,696,169 times
Lots of things you like to do in the Prescott and surrounding areas.
However, jobs are tough here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona