Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 01:17 AM

22 posts, read 70,231 times

Advertisements

We are loving our time in Arizona, love the weather (what's not to love), scenery is beautiful, the rent we found is great. For the most part we've found stores with our favorite foods, hubby found good micro-brews.

BUT - what is up with the lack of recycling in Arizona? The extended stay where we are has NO recycling. I've discovered people here just throw glass in the garbage, and must go out of their way to recycle cans, which I imagine few people do.

Has there been failed attempts at a bottle bill and other recycling efforts, or do the good citizens of Arizona just not care? I find it very frustrating. I don't want to sound too critical here. But recycling is just like breathing where we are from (Oregon). I find it painful to throw things away that I know can be kept out of landfills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 03:14 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
Waste disposal is generally taken care of by the cities .... i know for a while phoenix proper was a little lagging in this regard, but i'm pretty positive that most cities offer recycling programs

a minority of states have deposit programs for cans/bottles - AZ is not unique in lacking this

our city (goodyear) has had recycling for a long time and is constantly expanding the types of recylable items can be left in the bins

in my travels, hotels are generally hit or miss when it comes to recycling .... again not unique to AZ

the city of phoenix has a few recyling drop off centers, where if you wanted you could save up and then drop off .... i'm sure other municipalities offer something similar

Old 01-20-2011, 05:44 PM

Thanks. I have found a place here at a Safeway where I'll take the cans. When I visit family in Texas and Tennessee it's a similar situation. Recycling and composting just happens to be one of my things. And don't get me wrong, we are loving our visit to Phoenix and surrounding areas.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:48 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,519,343 times
I have a large recycle can that gets picked up the same day as the trash. But even if one doesn't have that they can choose to recycle... there are a number of recycling centers throughout the state.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:10 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazierdee View Post
We are loving our time in Arizona, love the weather (what's not to love), scenery is beautiful, the rent we found is great. For the most part we've found stores with our favorite foods, hubby found good micro-brews.

BUT - what is up with the lack of recycling in Arizona? The extended stay where we are has NO recycling. I've discovered people here just throw glass in the garbage, and must go out of their way to recycle cans, which I imagine few people do.

Has there been failed attempts at a bottle bill and other recycling efforts, or do the good citizens of Arizona just not care? I find it very frustrating. I don't want to sound too critical here. But recycling is just like breathing where we are from (Oregon). I find it painful to throw things away that I know can be kept out of landfills.
I'm not sure about the entire state, but I've been researching Sierra Vista for a possible relocation and the city is very into recycling and makes a point of stressing sustainability, which I think is a good thing.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:33 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,235,688 times
There's a bunch of places S. of I-10 on 19th Ave.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:45 AM

444 posts, read 1,352,367 times
Only a couple of states and most parts of Canada have recycling receptacles in private spaces like hotel rooms. Compared to other states, especially on the east coast, Arizona actually does pretty well with recycling and has a more active program.
Scottsdale seems to accept the most out of any place in the state: up to #6 plastics, I believe. Tucson is getting better, I think, but it's a matter of funding. You don't have to separate your recyclables for curbside pick-up in Tucson like you do in many other areas, which is nice, and you're given a, upright trash-can sized receptacle as opposed those dinky plastic crates. If you just Google "[the city you're in] recycling" though, you'll find plenty of drop-off sites.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:30 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,910,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazierdee View Post

Check at your local Wal Mart. I don't know if they do it in the Phoenix area but our Super Wal Mart has a BUNCH of large bins where folks can bring their recyclables. Our trash pick up companies do 'some' recycling but only provide receptacles 'now and then' so people make good use of the ones at Wal Mart. They also have large bins inside the store to recycle plastic bags and their reusable bags, that they sell for 50 cents, are made of recycled plastic bags.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:11 PM

Thanks for the Wal-Mart tip. We are workng in Phoenix for another month or so, and I found the Waste Management recycling place - a little inconvenient, but I was thrilled just to find it. I will definitely check out the WM idea. They are all over the place, of course.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:55 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,246,227 times
When you put recycling containers in public areas of apartments and hotels, they get filled with lots of trash - not things that ought to be recycled. There is no personal accountability in these locales. The public psyche is different in OR as you point out. Maybe it works there. It's very different in AZ. Here we are driven by consumerism and convenience and disregard for anyone but ourselves. The recycle would be filled with half-eaten burgers and soiled baby diapers in no time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona