Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 04:06 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,713,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
So what? The constant rain and humidity in places like Minnesota and Washington causes skin fungus, body odor and drowning. That's how silly your post is.
I could not agree more, KDog.

In addition to your points, Western Washington is dreary and downright depressing due to the constant overcast, gloom and drizzle. Also, a Vivid Dark Blue Sky is almost unheard of during either the day or night.

Besides, I spent some horrible summers in the Midwest, the Upper Midwest and all along the East Coast.

I'll gladly tolerate July and August for ten months of near perfect weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 04:15 PM

299 posts, read 667,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
So what? The constant rain and humidity in places like Minnesota and Washington causes skin fungus, body odor and drowning. That's how silly your post is.
To prove how silly your post is there is just as much skin fungus, body odor and drowning in Arizona as those other states - probably more. Arid-zona seems to have the choke hold on b.o. with as hot as it is -and with the monsoon humidity on top of it now. I remember quite a few drownings in your flash floods - morons were always driving their tank-sized trucks through flooded washes. Drownings aren't limited to rain or humidity either. What about all the children drowning in swimming pools? That's very common in Arid-zona.

Quote:
This is a very big state with all sorts of climates. Having lived on both coasts, the weather where I live in northern AZ suits me just fine. I don't know anybody in our area who has valley fever or skin cancer. Somehow I don't think we have the market cornered on dry hair either.
It suits you fine but that's your choice. Washington state is heaven on earth compared to what it was like in Arid-zona, and not just because of the difference in climates either. Oh and my dad had valley fever years ago and came close to passing away. I had the beginning stages of skin cancer, also called basal cell from all the years I lived there in your beloved sun. How does that grab you?

Old 07-10-2011, 04:17 PM

13,213 posts, read 21,839,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
In addition to your points, Western Washington is dreary and downright depressing due to the constant overcast, gloom and drizzle.
Absolutely, that's a medical fact. Seasonal affective disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The PNW is the only place in the country where you will suffer from S.A.D. all year long.

BTW, the summer months in Kingman are just perfect. Winters are a little cool, but at least they're mostly sunny!

Old 07-10-2011, 04:21 PM

299 posts, read 667,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I could not agree more, KDog.

In addition to your points, Western Washington is dreary and downright depressing due to the constant overcast, gloom and drizzle. Also, a Vivid Dark Blue Sky is almost unheard of during either the day or night.
You apparently have not been to western Washington this time of the year. Summer brings some of the clearest skies and least amount of overcast or rainy conditions in this part of the world. Afternoon temperatures are in the 70s and 80s- can't beat that. Each person has his-her own individual preference. As for me I'll gladly take Washington's drizzly gloomy climate in the winter over your nearly 12 months of suffocatingly dry rainless drought climate and the 5-6 months of searing heat on top of it.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:46 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,713,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecoming View Post
You apparently have not been to western Washington this time of the year. Summer brings some of the clearest skies and least amount of overcast or rainy conditions in this part of the world. Afternoon temperatures are in the 70s and 80s- can't beat that. Each person has his-her own individual preference. As for me I'll gladly take Washington's drizzly gloomy climate in the winter over your nearly 12 months of suffocatingly dry rainless drought climate and the 5-6 months of searing heat on top of it.
WRONG, Seattlecoming.

I have been to the Pacific Northwest during all seasons, many many times. What you consider "clearest skies" are dreary gloomy gray by comparison to the crystal clear dark blue skies of the Desert Southwest.

Also, have you checked the National Weather lately? There are many cities and towns with 100 Degree plus highs throughout the country.

Maybe that's why we refer to it as THE DOG DAYS OF SUMMER.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:46 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,701,210 times
To me, if you have to live in a hot climate, you do what you have to do early in the mornings if you can while it's cool if you can
If you work I hope you have AC where you work and don't have to work outside.
For many that can, the only way out of the heat is too move to a higher elevation here in AZ
I remember Phoenix before most businesses had AC or people had it in their homes while I was in the Army stationed down here.
The population explosion did not come until AC pretty much became standard in cars, homes and businesses.
And I lived in the Tacoma area while at Fort Lewis and later at both Gig Harbor and Whidbey Island for about 6 years total in the 90s.
Who are you kidding? When it's 85° there people complain like crazy but for the most part you are lucky to have clear blue skies.
I can remember one year was so wet and cold that the tulips in the Skagit Valley did not do well at all and the tourists were disappointed.
I can also remember that Anacortes and the related areas in June and early July were crying for occupants in the motels and such because it was so cold that year.
I drove a bus from Oak Harbor through Anacortes to Mount Vernon and back 2x a day for some time in and knew the area well.
I also worked a couple of hardware stores up there as I retired at an early age due to a base closure. We sold lots of daylight temperature fluorescent bulbs to folks who got depressed with all the rain, mist and gloom up there. It was not an uncommon problem for people.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:46 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,692,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsinore View Post
It seems that the low elevation areas, particulary Mohave County have consistent temperatures well over 100 degrees in the summer. Do most people just hibernate inside with the AC. I would think that those temperatures would make a home pool too hot to swim in, and it would fee more like a hot-tub instead of a pool. I don't know the answer, so that is why I would like some ideas from year around residents.

The most significant difference between summer in the desert and winter in the upper Midwest, is that winter in the upper Midwest offers almost no escape from the cold, for up to several months at a time, day or night. (And let's not forget about the snow...) The desert offers escape from the brutal heat almost every single night. The pool might not be cold enough to cool you off during the sunny days, but at night, it's great.

Even at almost 100 degrees, it's very pleasant to be outdoors without direct sun.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:11 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,701,210 times
You have to remember that 100° at 9-15% humidity is pretty nice compared to a lot of places in the country with their humidity.
But on the other hand when it hits 105-115° I am inside, period.
I think the older you get the less tolerant of the heat you become.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:08 PM

683 posts, read 2,652,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
You have to remember that 100° at 9-15% humidity is pretty nice compared to a lot of places in the country with their humidity.
But on the other hand when it hits 105-115° I am inside, period.
I think the older you get the less tolerant of the heat you become.
That's my favorite kind of weather here and I work outside every day from 5:00 to 1:00.

Another thing that many people don't consider is that when they see 100 degree temperatures, that's the high temperature in the afternoon. The rest of the day is really quite pleasant.

I enjoy spending my day working outside, that's why I love Arizona.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:47 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,519,521 times
Right now I would be welcoming a dry 100 degrees! Here in TN we're about to reach 100 on Tuesday, and a heat index for my area of 110 with very high humidity. We were well into the 90s before summer even started, and no end in sight. The humidity here is awful and will do you in real fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona