Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 10:14 AM

32 posts, read 68,252 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Erie, PA, but am looking to move - just not sure where yet. I run an online marketing company from my house, so work is not really an issue - I can do my job from anywhere. I am looking for a few things though. I have a one year old son, so the school system is a big issue. I am also looking for somewhere close to the city, but not right in the city. I will be looking to eventually buy a home, but renting is fine for the time being if it is easier. I have a dog, so that may be something to take into consideration as well. Since I have lived in a winter state for my entire life, I am looking to live somewhere warmer all year round - I have had enough of the snow. If anyone has any suggestions as to where a good place to raise my son would be, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 11:32 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,353,407 times
Well, let me chime in here with the steps that I used in determining where I chose to live. My situation is a bit different from yours as I'm older and thus did not need to consider school systems. I was also mostly looking at property for retirement - but not entirely since it is my intention to move down to Arizona a bit before I retire and work from home (kind of like you in that regard) so perhaps my input MIGHT be of a bit of help.

Like you we are tired of winter and wanted a warm weather destination. However, I didn't want to cook in the summer, so I didn't want toooooo hot. So my criteria was that it didn't really get below freezing regularly in the winter, and not regularly over 100 in the summer.

Also, we wanted to be near a smaller town with basic services, but within an hour of a city of 50,000 or so (for major medical services). Being within that distance of a MAJOR city was even better.

We started looking at New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and Utah. Climate quickly narrowed down our choices. Winter lows throughout New Mexico and Utah quickly ruled out those states, as it did for northern Nevada and northern Arizona. Southern Nevada is too hot in the summer as is Southwest Arizona. This zeroed us in oin Southeast Arizona - the only area which hit our temperature requirements - essentially the area from Tucson towards Sierra Vista.

We settled on an area outside of Benson (10 minutes or so away - population of around 5,000) that is 40 minutes from Tucson (population 1 million) and about the same distance from Sierra Vista (population 40,000 or so). Since our elevation is at 42,000 feet our winter highs are about 60 and our winter lows in the mid-upper 30's (usually). Summer highs average around 92 or so for June and July and 88 for August and we get around 16-20 inches of rain a year so it's not nearly so barren as other areas (ie Southwest) of Arizona.

So, you may want to investigate somewhere in the same general area (depending on what you can find out about the schools) - say from perhaps east of Vail, or possibly around the Sierra Vista area (which has the same climate) or perhaps near Willcox (not too different climate either.

Now, that's all assuming that the temperature range I quoted suits you.
If you want warmer, then consider nearer to Tucson.
Warmer still, near Phoenix
Hotter still, near Yuma.

Just depends what you want weatherwise, but if you definintely do not want snow, those are the areas you should look.

Ken

Old 08-28-2008, 01:55 PM

Ken - thanks for the input! Those weather conditions are pretty much spot on to what I was looking for. As far as 40 minutes away from a major hospital, not sure that is exactly what I want. With a little guy, I might want to stay a bit closer.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:09 PM

Melissa3296 -

You may want to look into Sierra Vista then. It's a pretty good sized town with that same climate. Not sure how good their hospital(s) is(are) though (do some more research). If you do decide on Sierra Vista check into the reported cancer cluster - not too sure of the details or extent - or if they found a reason or not. Just giving you a heads up. One thing about Arizona is that you need to be a bit careful about the water (depending on where you are). There are a LOT of copper mines in the state and they often pollute the groundwater so it pays to find out if you are potentially going be anywhere near one (Green Valley for example has some issues with their water because of this).

Aside from Sierra Vista, you may want to look into Vail. It's a bit warmer as it's closer to Tucson and thus lower in elevation (Tucson is at 2,400 feet, not sure about Vail, but I would guess maybe 3,000 feet or a bit more). A new regional hospital is supposedly going in there eventually but I'm not sure exactly when (plans have been delayed because of the housing turndown). WHEN that goes in, the hospital will be about 15-20 minutes from our land. Not sure when that will be though (couple years away still - at least).

Remember that elevation is pretty much EVERYTHING when trying to determine climate in Arizona and keep in mind that temps will fall an average of 3-4 degrees for every 1,000 feet in elevation gain. Thus Yuma - which is at 200 feet - is REALLY hot, Phoenix and surrounding area - which is at about 1,000 feet - is still VERY hot, Tucson - which is at 2,400 is cooler but still very warm and Sierra Vista (at 4,200 (like our land)) - is much more temperate.

Ken

Old 08-28-2008, 06:35 PM

What is the cost of living like there? Is it pretty rural? close to a city? What is ther eto do as far s shopping, dining, nightlife, etc.?

Old 08-28-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa3296 View Post
What is the cost of living like there? Is it pretty rural? close to a city? What is ther eto do as far s shopping, dining, nightlife, etc.?
Where specifically are you referring to?
Sierra Vista?
Out where our land is?
Vail?

Ken

Old 08-28-2008, 10:26 PM

Well, I guess any of them. I really know nothing about Arizona but it was recommended to me as I begin this daunting task of finding a place to live. As I continue doing this, more and more things come to mind to look for - schools, weather, crime, cost of living, rural living but close to city, hospitals, how healthy/clean/etc is the town and on and on and on...

Old 08-29-2008, 09:08 AM

Well, first off (if you've not done it yet) take a look at the specific city data on the City-data Arizona page (http://www.city-data.com/city/Arizona.html). There is a wealth of information there on each of the towns and cities in Arizona. Also note the map on that page and you'll see clearly the elevation differences (indicated by color) between the 3 major areas of Arizona that I mentioned (Northern, Southwestern, and Southeastern) - which in turn will help you to understand the temperature differences between these 3 distinct areas.

Secondly, check out the Arizona City by City sticky post at the top of this board. LOTS of great information there. Finally of course, if you are interested in a particular city, do a search on the city name on this board and read the posts that pop up.

Now, as to the specific answer to your questions, I would defer to those folks who already live there (as opposed to me, who has only visited - and will live there in the future).

One thing to note about Arizona (actually, the West in general) is that population distribution is far different than it is in the East. In the East you have lots and lots of small towns scattered about with the occasional big city. In the West you have much less of this. Instead you have fewer - but larger - concentrations of people and far fewer small towns (but of course with a great deal of truly empty space between them). Often this is because population centers have grown up around water sources - which are not nearly as plentiful as they are back East. And so you have the vast majority of Arizona's population concentrated in just 2 locations - Phoenix (which is a HUGE sprawling complex along the lines of LA) and Tucson (which is much smaller, but still rather spread out) and the rest of the folks scattered among relatively few small towns (many of them really tiny) that are mostly pretty distant from any other town (with more or less wilderness in between).

As to the general appearance of the towns I mentioned, neither Sierra Vista nor Benson are particularly attractive (many small towns in the West are utilitarian and lack charm). They are not ugly, but the towns themselves have no particular charm - they are simply towns. The settings though are pretty nice. Sierra Vista has some awesome views of the nearby Huachuca (pronounced "Wah Chu Ca") mountains and distant vistas of the vast San Pedro Valley. Benson also has nice mountain views (not quite as impressive as Sierra Vista's though) and a breathtaking view of the aforementioned Sand Pedro Valley. In either case you are never distant from rural living.

Sierra Vista is large enough to have pretty much anything you need (several shopping complexes). Benson is much smaller but has a Safeway and a brand new (and quite large) Walmart. There is a small hospital there (and as mentioned - a larger one in Sierra Vista). As mentioned, both were fairly clean, but neither was particularly impressive in regards to beauty of the town (particularly true of Benson) or charm. Keep in mind that Sierra Vista is a military town and the areas nearest the base reflect that (pretty unattractive) - though areas further away a quite a bit nicer.

When I was last there a year or so ago, Vail didn't have much yet. Homes and golf courses were going in but shopping choices were lagging (but apparently on their way). A HUGE shopping complex called the Passages of Tucson has been planned for Vail for several years but has yet to materialize. You can do a Google search to find out about it. Vail is pretty upscale community and was booming before the housing slowdown hit. Not sure how fast it's growing now.

I have made several posts regarding Benson (and J-6 - where our land is), so if you look back at my posts you can learn a lot.

In general, outside of Phoenix, pretty much anywhere in Arizona will put you close to rural areas (even Tucson is not all that big).

Ken

Old 08-29-2008, 03:26 PM

89 posts, read 299,628 times
ken~ thank you for the city-data website!

Old 08-29-2008, 08:47 PM

LordBalfor - you have been so amazingly helpful. When I started this search, I had really no idea where I wanted to move. I did have a few key things though - weather, schools and overall area. After reading the posts and doing research - city-data kicks ass! - Arizona is not for me. I am used to green - grass, trees, etc. I like a town that has that hometown feel. Thanks for all of the input - it did really ehlp me!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona